ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

New Options = Price Increase

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-10, 03:10 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Default New Options = Price Increase

I was looking at some newly arrived 2010 ES's yesterday while having my oil changed and I noticed that every new ES now includes the 1970's real spoiler at $319, effective but not attractive Body side moulding at $199, and Paint film Protection which I guess is just port installed Clear Bra at $429. This when added to already obligatory wheel locks and cargo net is over $1,000 worth of items I would not want even if they were included for free. This looks to me like either just a thinly veiled price increase or a model year end attempt to get rid of some poor selling accessories at the port. If I were to be buying right now I think I would demand that most of these items be removed before I would make the deal.

Dave Mac
Old 08-21-10, 03:25 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I was looking at some newly arrived 2010 ES's yesterday while having my oil changed and I noticed that every new ES now includes the 1970's real spoiler at $319, effective but not attractive Body side moulding at $199, and Paint film Protection which I guess is just port installed Clear Bra at $429. This when added to already obligatory wheel locks and cargo net is over $1,000 worth of items I would not want even if they were included for free. This looks to me like either just a thinly veiled price increase or a model year end attempt to get rid of some poor selling accessories at the port. If I were to be buying right now I think I would demand that most of these items be removed before I would make the deal.

Dave Mac
I can't even think they would put the body-side molding on most ES coming in because imo it looks hideous just doesnt flow well especially with the chrome on bottom.... as mentioned imo only. Hopefully these options were done on select set of cars because I can see this being an issue for buyers.
Old 08-21-10, 03:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Maybe/hopefully this was just a dealership applied "package".

I agree, the spoiler and side moldings are just not needed on the ES, and all of that stuff just adds to the dealers profit.
Old 08-21-10, 04:07 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Maybe/hopefully this was just a dealership applied "package".

I agree, the spoiler and side moldings are just not needed on the ES, and all of that stuff just adds to the dealers profit.
Check the sticker.
you can probably see if it is dealer items

These sound like the typical stuff a dealer does to improve profit margin
Old 08-21-10, 05:03 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

No, these are all "PIO" - Port Installed Options. Most of these cars were just being unloaded at I watched in dismay. Actually the dealers might not even favor this because it takes away some of the profit they were making on the clear bra for example.

Dave Mac
Old 08-21-10, 11:48 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dump the side moldings and 70's spolier...Ugh!!. Not very Lexus 'like'....
Old 08-22-10, 06:11 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Check again , body side moldings , rear spoiler , invisible bra and rear bumper clear cover are all dealer options. They get a huge markup for the installation. You can buy all of these options from the dealers and install them yourself if you want.
Old 08-22-10, 07:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

As JRey said, I think all of these add ons ($1,000 worth!) would deter a lot of potential ES350 new car buyers. It might backfire on the dealer if buyers go elsewhere for their new car.
Old 08-22-10, 07:42 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I would venture to say that the reason these options were stuck on the cars is based on sale data. Maybe some dealers have a demand for these options so they install them. If you look at them they are only peel and stick parts. If you don't want them tell them to remove them. I'm sure a dealer won't want to loose a $40k deal because of a few hundred dollar stick on parts.
Old 08-22-10, 07:43 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price for the clear bra is not bad at all. And if the paint on the '10s is still as soft as the '07s then that really should be standard equipment. Late edit: this one thing really pizzes me off. The paint on my wife's 5 yo F150 looks better than my 4 yo Lexus. WTF? And mine has been garaged and waxed three or 4 times a year. I didn't get the bra because of a couple horror stories I read on here. It wasn't long before I knew that was a mistake.

Was that for the hood, bumper, lights and mirrors?

But the other items you mention are definitely detractors IMHO...except for the necessary wheel locks. Especially the body side moulding. How did that look with the new chrome side moulding? I'm guessing not good at all.

Last edited by Macklin; 08-22-10 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-22-10, 08:23 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2010 ES is well dressed in chrome accessories, no need to add more. I will look at the competitors for your options though, for example the clear bra installed from the dealer is not fuller than a private contractor. I had mine done from the same contractor that does the lexuses and is cost me less for more coverage. Simply ask for the name of the contractor and go straight to them.

Side molding in the middle of the doors are kind of old school now, i've seen some new Buick with them and it does not make justice for the new look.

I you want to make the car more unique, CarID do make some add-ons, but don't go overboard with chrome and make your car looks like a Chrysler 300 or a pimped out Cadillac CTS.
Old 08-22-10, 08:50 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark
The 2010 ES is well dressed in chrome accessories, no need to add more. I will look at the competitors for your options though, for example the clear bra installed from the dealer is not fuller than a private contractor. I had mine done from the same contractor that does the lexuses and is cost me less for more coverage. Simply ask for the name of the contractor and go straight to them.

Side molding in the middle of the doors are kind of old school now, i've seen some new Buick with them and it does not make justice for the new look.

I you want to make the car more unique, CarID do make some add-ons, but don't go overboard with chrome and make your car looks like a Chrysler 300 or a pimped out Cadillac CTS.
though, for example the clear bra installed from the dealer is not fuller than a private contractor. I had mine done from the same contractor that does the lexuses and is cost me less for more coverage. Simply ask for the name of the contractor and go straight to them
I went this route...went straight through to contracter and it was a big money saver...just go back to service after purchasing veh week or so later and they will give you info on where/who to contact. Well worth it !

i guess the one PIO...that I wanted and thought it was very subtle, was the lip spoiler...was installed at Port since my veh was in route...gave to me @ Cost $ 210.00.
Old 08-22-10, 09:05 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

I will be at the Lexus dealer again tomorrow and will ask if there is any reason these cars are coming in this way other than getting a lot of side moulding etc. out of inventory. I have always wanted to see how it looks and in over three years have never seen an ES with it installed. And it did not look good with the new chrome lower trim - it didn't even look to be parallel to the chrome trim. My first thought was - Buick, will the fake convertible top be next.

I will also look to see how much clear bra is on the car for that price. My initial reaction was that this was some kind of clear coat to remedy the soft paint issues but only after I went to lexus.com did I realize it was just clear bra.

Dave Mac
Old 08-22-10, 09:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Dave Mac, did you happen to notice if any other models, other than ES, were coming in to the dealer with these add ons? Just curious.
Old 08-22-10, 09:59 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

No, I didn't notice but I had that thought too and will look tomorrow. When I was there only ES's were arriving but I will look at what is on the lot (not much right now) and in the showroom.

Dave Mac

Quick Reply: New Options = Price Increase