ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

cleaning tips + hot seat belt buckle warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 02:53 PM
lomarica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning tips + hot seat belt buckle warning

I am doing my twice annual deep cleaning and wondering if anyone has some tips.

Does anyone recommend using armor all on the non leather items?

what is the best way to clean the floor mats? and no I don't even want to get started on the color issue.

I have the Ultra anything special to do on the glass roof?

Lastly when I was wiping the leather down (with armor all leather wipes) I noticed one of my metal seat belt buckles had literally melted a small portion of the leather. The seat belt was twisted so the buckle was touching the leather. It gets hot where I live but man not even summer yet. Not really worried about it it is in the back but just a word of caution.

thanks to all
Old 06-06-10, 05:03 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lomarica
I am doing my twice annual deep cleaning and wondering if anyone has some tips.

Does anyone recommend using armor all on the non leather items?

what is the best way to clean the floor mats? and no I don't even want to get started on the color issue.

I have the Ultra anything special to do on the glass roof?

Lastly when I was wiping the leather down (with armor all leather wipes) I noticed one of my metal seat belt buckles had literally melted a small portion of the leather. The seat belt was twisted so the buckle was touching the leather. It gets hot where I live but man not even summer yet. Not really worried about it it is in the back but just a word of caution.

thanks to all
me personally...I would use something little higher quality than armor all...kinda on low end of cleaning prods. There are many suggestions throughout...go to Auto-detailing section great tips on cleaning dashboard etc., unless you are looking for that shiny, slick look --go armor all otherwise other products provided by several vendors here or auto parts will give you the UV protection you need from the sun and give you some staying power on dust not settling in so quickly again. just mho. good luck.
Old 06-06-10, 05:50 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need to find a good pro detailer in your area and get to know them well. Using armor all wipes on the leather or any part of the interior is a big no-no. You will end up doing more damage then good if you start doing things which you have no clue how to do.
Old 06-06-10, 06:31 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I used those wipes was 6 years ago. That was when I also discovered that they left behind some kind of coating on the dash that evaporates in the CA sun and fogs up the window pretty badly. Took some work with Meguiars APC+ to remove that crap too...

On non-leather stuff like the dash, I use Aerospace 303 Protectant. For the floor mat, Little Green Machine is generally what is liked in the detailing world but I get by with soap, water, and my shopvac. As for the top window, just use any glass cleaner without ammonia.
Old 06-06-10, 07:00 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

+1 on 303 Aerospace Protectant
Old 06-06-10, 07:19 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

I have no idea what is in the ArmorAll leather wipes, but regular Armorall is a no-no on leather. I usually use LEXOL on leather.

The mats, I will usually use a carpet steamer on, then scrub with a carpet cleaner, may resteam depending on how it looks, allow it to dry and they spray with Scotchguard.
Old 06-06-10, 07:24 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

For the leather/carpet, I don't really liek to use over the counter stuff from those cheapo car parts stores (ex. Armor All).

Although it's a bit expensive, I use mainly products from Griot's Garage. I use their leather care spray and leather rejuvenator on my leather, and their carpet cleaner on my floormats and am very happy with the results.
Old 06-07-10, 12:16 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been using Lexol on the leather for years with good results. For the dash, just some soap and water and I wipe it down with the Lexol leather conditioner thats left on my microfiber cloth from the seats. My carpet floor mats look like new because of the clear Exact mats that are over them. Just a little clean up on the sides.