ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-10, 07:00 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Honestly, I know it's neat to say you have electronics of everything in the car, but what does it really do? Electronic shifter, electronic steering, electronic brakes... what happens when the electronics don't respond? It's a very dangerous and leaves space for doubt in overall safety, or long term safety.
Yes, electronics can fail. But so can mechanical systems. What history has shown us is that mechanical cables, hinges, and links fail far more often and have more problems than their electronic replacements.

We may feel emotionally safer with simple physical control instead of an electronic circuit we don't understand, but the fact is we aren't.

It's just like people being afraid of flying but not driving when driving is by far the more dangerous activity.
Old 06-12-10, 07:09 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mechanical failure

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Yes, electronics can fail. But so can mechanical systems. What history has shown us is that mechanical cables, hinges, and links fail far more often and have more problems than their electronic replacements.

We may feel emotionally safer with simple physical control instead of an electronic circuit we don't understand, but the fact is we aren't.

It's just like people being afraid of flying but not driving when driving is by far the more dangerous activity.
I'll agree somewhat to your point, but mechanical tend to fail with some slight warnings or noise... electrical, it works one day, it might go dead the next.

As for driving, yes, statistically it's more dangerous, but I do have somewhat control in what I do and how I drive. In a plane... it's all up to the pilot and 1000 other variables that I can't control at all.
Old 06-12-10, 09:51 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a test. A very expensive test.

I was pulling into a parking lot and was going to park. As a was gingerly parking in my designated parking spot I put the transmission in N. Then as I slowed I put it into R. At approximately 1 or 2 MPH my 2007 ES 350 came to a complete and abrupt stop as the transmission went into reverse. I felt it change gears. After changing my pants, saying a prayer, and taking a deep breath I put the car into D and it moved forward with no unusual sounds. No problems thus far and I've had some fun with my car, just check my other posts.

The transmission did not immediately go into R while going forward but did as I was coming to a complete stop.

Luckily the test was not that expensive in the end but it was before going into the testing phase.

Disclaimer: I will not be responsible for your tranny for trying to replicate or prove my unscientific test wrong.