ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Trunk lid lock removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 03:30 PM
bandi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk lid lock removal

I have been disappointed that the trunk cannot be opened if the car battery is totally dead. So I want to add a opening device, essentially like a control cable, that would be accessible from the trunk opening in the middle of the rear seat.
I had no problem removing the plastic buttons that support the trunk lid liner but I do not know how to remove the lock mechanism or the pull tab assembly. Any one knows? any advice would be appreciated
Old 02-18-10, 04:47 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Buy a new battery.
Old 02-18-10, 05:53 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bandi
I have been disappointed that the trunk cannot be opened if the car battery is totally dead. So I want to add a opening device, essentially like a control cable, that would be accessible from the trunk opening in the middle of the rear seat.
I had no problem removing the plastic buttons that support the trunk lid liner but I do not know how to remove the lock mechanism or the pull tab assembly. Any one knows? any advice would be appreciated
I would have to concur with Jag.....with such an isolated situation why would you to go such lengths for that,. I guess my question is how often do you have a dead battery...just curious.
Old 02-19-10, 08:17 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Buy one of those "jump-starters for blondes" that you are supposed to plug into the cigarette lighter.
They cannot start a car, but they will give enough juice for the accessories to work and the trunk to open.
Old 02-19-10, 09:52 AM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

I used about a 4 ft rod and just pushed down on the emergency trunk release through the trunk access in the rear seat (armrest). It was easy.
Old 02-20-10, 02:21 PM
bandi
Driver School Candidate

That if of course what will happen but I would have loved to get a jump except the jumper cable is in the trunk. Furthermore I do leave the car at airports etc for several days, even weeks at a time and did have dead batteries more then once, Quite a pain to have to wait for AAA to give me a jump.(they have the jumper cable)

Last edited by bandi; 02-20-10 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added to the comment
Old 02-20-10, 03:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The airport ramps and lots here have jump start service available, might be worth checking into at the airport(s) you use. If your car is still under warranty you can use Lexus Roadside Assistance too.
Old 02-20-10, 03:27 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That if of course what will happen but I would have loved to get a jump except the jumper cable is in the trunk. Furthermore I do leave the car at airports etc for several days, even weeks at a time and did have dead batteries more then once, Quite a pain to have to wait for AAA to give me a jump.(they have the jumper cable)
Leave one of these type start up chargers on the backseat floor and cover it with a rag or something so it can't be seen and stolen at the airport.

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-IPD...=pd_sbs_auto_2

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-20-10 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 05:52 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Leave one of these type start up chargers on the backseat floor and cover it with a rag or something so it can't be seen and stolen at the airport.

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-IPD...=pd_sbs_auto_2

Excellent idea!

But, I have to say, your battery should hold a charge for several weeks. My boat batteries will hold a charge for weeks on end during the winter when its put up. Went down yesterday to throw some juice to them. One may be suspect because it's not taking a charge like the other one.

Buy a new battery! You will have no more worries.

Last edited by Macklin; 02-21-10 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-22-10, 09:51 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Originally Posted by Macklin
Excellent idea!

Buy a new battery! You will have no more worries.
Once your battery runs down completely a few times, most likely it would not hold charge anymore.
Completely discharging the battery damages it. You definitely need a new battery.
And then just make sure that you turn off all the lights when you leave the car for a while.
Especially watch for those little blue LED lights.
Old 03-03-10, 02:19 AM
unknown2
Driver

You can open your trunk lid even without battery. All what you need is your mechanical key...

I found that feature by accident while I was playing in my car... There is a manual trunk release (not the emergency release) in the trunk access... Open the trunk access and at the top of the trunk access you will find a cable. Just pull this cable and your trunk lid will open.

I really don't remember reading this in the owner’s manual...
Old 03-03-10, 07:30 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a manual release built-in at the factory. To use it: Pull down the center arm rest in the rear seating area, and open the plastic door behind it (trunk pass through). Reach in there and just above the opening on the trunk side is a black cable loop. Pull it, and the trunk lock will be mechanically released.

FYI, there's also a mechanical release for the gas tank filler. Open the trunk, and pop off the 3" diameter round black plastic cover on the left wall in the trunk. Push the plastic button inside.
Old 03-03-10, 07:40 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Unknown and YotaCarFan - Now that is truly some good information. And I have to admit I doubted you both but went out and checked and it is there. Something new and useful after my second version of this model.

Thanks guys.

Dave Mac
Old 03-03-10, 12:23 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

East coast based owners got the know how!
Old 03-06-10, 05:00 PM
bandi
Driver School Candidate

Yes indeed this is very useful info. Thank you very much.
Bandi