ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Gas Pedal Shaving

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 08:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When I took my car in for the oil hose Service Campaign and pedal/floor modification they said something to the effect that if they had the car in their shop they had to do the modification since it was a safety recall. Not sure if that was accurate, but I was going to have it done anyway.

The look and feel is so slight, IMO, that it will hardly be noticed. I questioned whether or not it was needed since I always use just one mat and it's always anchored down.

In answer to another question, they replace both front all weather mats so they match. They don't replace the rears so they do look different than the fronts.
Old 02-03-10, 09:12 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pestleman0
Speak with the service manager. It is not mandatory.
Actually just exchanged emails with the service mgr. Must say not too impressed with my first dealings today with Lexus service staff so far.

One thing I asked was to confirm that this is a temporary fix until the new pedal comes out in the spring. He replied that there will be some new pedal, but inventory going to be very low because this repair now shaving the pedal is the true repair. Said I can contact him in april and I see if he can get new pedal but to keep in mind new pedal will look just like the pedal in your car when this shaving mod is done.

I asked if I can also opt out of getting this mod done, and he replied that they highly recommended doing it since beside the pedal shaving, there is a software update and floor padding alteration, and change out all weather mat if you have those in vehicle.

I said I didn't have the all weather mats, but would like to purchase the new one's for my car for the winter. He said I couldn't purchase because all weather mats on stop sale right now.

Guess will see how my visit to the dealer pans out come Friday.
Old 02-03-10, 10:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardNJ
Actually just exchanged emails with the service mgr. Must say not too impressed with my first dealings today with Lexus service staff so far.

One thing I asked was to confirm that this is a temporary fix until the new pedal comes out in the spring. He replied that there will be some new pedal, but inventory going to be very low because this repair now shaving the pedal is the true repair. Said I can contact him in april and I see if he can get new pedal but to keep in mind new pedal will look just like the pedal in your car when this shaving mod is done.

I asked if I can also opt out of getting this mod done, and he replied that they highly recommended doing it since beside the pedal shaving, there is a software update and floor padding alteration, and change out all weather mat if you have those in vehicle.

I said I didn't have the all weather mats, but would like to purchase the new one's for my car for the winter. He said I couldn't purchase because all weather mats on stop sale right now.

Guess will see how my visit to the dealer pans out come Friday.
You can buy the new design all weather mats from Sewell for $45 + shipping with club discount.
I did and mine are on the way.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par....asp?id=204046

On the pedal issue.
I'll wait till the new pedal is available.I have a good relationship with my SA so I should be ok.
Old 02-03-10, 03:13 PM
1fastbusa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cutting 1 inch off the gas pedel is only half the recall, were also reprogramming the computer so that if you press the brake pedel while the gas pedel is being pressed down the engine will reduce power, at this time this is the final repair, i however think we will be replacing pedals at some point. And were replacing the oil hoses at the same time

Last edited by 1fastbusa; 02-03-10 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 04:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1fastbusa
cutting 1 inch off the gas pedel is only half the recall, were also reprogramming the computer so that if you press the brake pedel while the gas pedel is being pressed down the engine will reduce power, at this time this is the final repair, i however think we will be replacing pedals at some point. And were replacing the oil hoses at the same time
Ok,count me in if there's a reprograming.
Old 02-03-10, 04:48 PM
1fastbusa
Driver School Candidate

also,,i beleive the 09's have the updated oil lines
Old 02-04-10, 09:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Joe, I'll be interested in your opinion of the new mats when you get them. I haven't used mine yet in any real sloppy conditions so don't have a feel yet on their real world performance. As you said, they'll do, and don't look too bad (on the ES mats, the Lexus logo and ES are both close to each other on the outside left border of each front mat. Different than the IS pics on Ebay.).
Ok Bob,got the mats today.
Let's see,how do I feel about them?
Well,they're not bad but not great.
I like the Lexus ES script.I guess they would look pretty good installed.They are thinner so install and uninstall will be easier when cleaning.
I'm not a fan of the no to noticeable on black anyway"Do not place on top of existing floor mats" script.
They're really not a all weather mat.Yes,better than carpet but not really all weather.
I guess I'll use these every season except winter and use the Weathertech's for winter.
I guess I like 'em for non winter look and use.
Old 02-04-10, 12:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Ok Bob,got the mats today.
Let's see,how do I feel about them?
Well,they're not bad but not great.
I like the Lexus ES script.I guess they would look pretty good installed.They are thinner so install and uninstall will be easier when cleaning.
I'm not a fan of the no to noticeable on black anyway"Do not place on top of existing floor mats" script.
They're really not a all weather mat.Yes,better than carpet but not really all weather.
I guess I'll use these every season except winter and use the Weathertech's for winter.
I guess I like 'em for non winter look and use.
Joe, I'd say this is an accurate overview of the new mats. In hindsight I guess I'd prefer to have the orginals but they keep them when the new ones are installed. I might consider some Weather Tech's for use in the dead of winter, but as you said, they don't fit in too well with the look of the interior but offer good protection.
Old 02-04-10, 01:14 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Joe, I'd say this is an accurate overview of the new mats. In hindsight I guess I'd prefer to have the orginals but they keep them when the new ones are installed. I might consider some Weather Tech's for use in the dead of winter, but as you said, they don't fit in too well with the look of the interior but offer good protection.
Bob,the Weathertech front fit is really not too bad.They just don't have the hook retention holes.The backs are the awful not even close fit.
A Weathertech rep said the custom fit front mats are being made and they will send me a set for free when available.
I'll let you when I get them.
Their floorliners are custom fit but I think they're ugly as hell.
Old 02-05-10, 08:15 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

I did some checking on the recall campaign for the ES350 models and found the document linked below.

I personally believe having the knowledge about issues like this is important to understand. So if you care to, the campaign document is here for you to read.

The original document was issued in Dec 2009 but revisions have been made to it as late as a couple of days ago (Feb 3rd). It's 31 pages and contains a thorough explanation of the problem and other models that may be affected.

Originally posted in the SC430 thread.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ES Service Campaign.pdf (1.08 MB, 789 views)

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-05-10 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 08:38 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I took our 2009 ES350 in for the 12 month service today. The dealer offered to do the pedal fix, but said that they did not have a loaner available since I hadn't scheduled in advance. He didn't seem to be too concerned about when I did it and said it would be fine to do for the next service.

Since I have zero concern about the accelerator pedal issue in this car (I use carpet mats which are hooked to the floor, and the pedal is quite high off the floor) I did not ask them to do it.

However they said they have the new pedals in, so it won't be shaving but a pedal replacement.
Old 02-05-10, 02:12 PM
lextooth
Driver School Candidate

VVTi Bob
Will you continue to post updates on the Service Campaign information to the Lexus service departments? I have not yet gotten the letter from Lexus that will allow me to go to the dealer and have the recall items performed on my 2010 ES350.
Old 02-05-10, 02:29 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

I don't intend to have my pedal shaved, don't see a need to. Problem occurs with 'stacking' all-weather mats on top of the Lexus cloth mats.
Old 02-05-10, 08:46 PM
lextooth
Driver School Candidate

Today, I asked my Lexus service manager to inform me when I could have a computer update on my 2010 ES350 and not to have the pedal shaved, since I have only one mat under the drivers pedal. He informed me that it was either all or none. I would have to sign a waiver that would not allow me to have any updates at all. When I get the recall notice in the mail, I will have the pedal shaved, mat modifications and the computer update and then ask for a new pedal to be installed when it is released in a few months.
Old 02-07-10, 07:58 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by lextooth
Today, I asked my Lexus service manager to inform me when I could have a computer update on my 2010 ES350 and not to have the pedal shaved, since I have only one mat under the drivers pedal. He informed me that it was either all or none. I would have to sign a waiver that would not allow me to have any updates at all. When I get the recall notice in the mail, I will have the pedal shaved, mat modifications and the computer update and then ask for a new pedal to be installed when it is released in a few months.
I have an appointment Monday morning for my 1000 mile check and the pedal shaving, computer update, etc. I really didn't want the pedal shaving done, but the service manager said because it was a safety issue, there was no option, mandatory requirement. So guess going ahead with the hack job.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Shaving