ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Parking Assist Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 09:34 AM
golfer1952
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Assist Sensors

Since we cannot get the original parking assist added to the car after it was built. What after market sytem would anyone recommend that is simalar?
Old 05-15-07, 11:37 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

I had an Acura dealer install their after market sensors on our MDX. There are four sensors on the rear bumper and they work great. The On/Off switch is in the rear near the tail gate or it would be in the trunk. This would be no problem because the only time you might want to turn it off is if you were towing a trailer because it would be constantly beeping. We have never turned it off in 30,000 miles.

If you want the bumper sensors to match the rear bumper color you must get them ahead of the install and have them painted yourself.

JerFitz
Old 05-18-07, 04:49 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jerfitz
I had an Acura dealer install their after market sensors on our MDX. There are four sensors on the rear bumper and they work great. The On/Off switch is in the rear near the tail gate or it would be in the trunk. This would be no problem because the only time you might want to turn it off is if you were towing a trailer because it would be constantly beeping. We have never turned it off in 30,000 miles.
Wouldn't it be possible to just tap the trigger switch into the reverse wire...or is it not possible due to the electronics of the aftermarket sensor? I mean, from a practical standpoint the only time the backup sensors would ever need to come into play is when you're going in reverse.
Old 05-19-07, 06:59 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

With a self install of an after market system it might be possible to get the trigger and 12 volt power from the backup lights.

JerFitz
Old 05-19-07, 03:01 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jerfitz

With a self install of an after market system it might be possible to get the trigger and 12 volt power from the backup lights.

JerFitz
The Park Assist sensors on the ES 350 are on the Rear and Front bumpers. Therefore, installing an After Market Kit, power must come from another source.

The ES 350 with Park Assist has a ON / OFF switch.

~ Cap
Old 05-19-07, 03:35 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

It's even more complicated than the 12 volt power because the rear sensors only work while in reverse where as the front sensors work while in a forward gear and both of them show on the GPS video screen.

JerFitz
Old 05-20-07, 01:27 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth,

When I got mine last year parking assist sensors were not available unless I wanted to pay list and special order. I had the dealer install an aftermarket system in the rear bumper. They used the Audiovox 4 sensor system. I have no idea how it is wired in except it works flawlessly for a rear-only system. The front of the car is rarely an issue for me but the back is another story; the back window and high belt line make parking without assist difficult at best. Between the camera, the tilting mirrors, and the sensors it is a formidable parking assist. In the year I have had the car I have yet to scrape a tire or tap another car while parking and can usually make it in one pass.

One person said that my system was worthless as they did not put the sensors far enough outboard. After a year of operation I do not agree with that opinion. The system works quite well. While backing out of my narrow garage the system senses the walls and does not stop alarming until the bumper of the car clears the wall edge. With the camera and the mirrors I have plenty of information to look at; with the sound I have useful audible clues (slow beep at about 2.5 - 3 ft, rapid at about 1.5-2 ft, solid at about 12 inches). It is hooked up to the reverse system somehow and the piezo speaker is well hidden.

One more thing. Since the car is black and the sensors are black the installation is very clean and has a factory look. I wouldn't want a non-color keyed sensor on this car. I saw a white UL the other day and did not care for the two-tone appearance with the black glass roof. I can only imagine black sensors on that white bumper.
Old 05-23-07, 06:18 AM
golfer1952
Driver School Candidate

You mentioned that you could have gotten the original parking assist system installed after you received the car. How much would they have charged? What is the name and number of the dealer who said they could do it?

Thanks
Old 06-20-07, 09:16 AM
golfer1952
Driver School Candidate

Default Parking Assist

Anyone have any other recomendations of backup parking assist systems that would work well on the ES350? Looking for a system that is similar to the factory and can display on my navigation screen.