ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How BIG is the Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 08:23 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that had multiple transmissions slip... How long after your transmission was replaced did it take for the new one to begin slipping?
Old 04-22-07, 09:38 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meadoel
For those that had multiple transmissions slip... How long after your transmission was replaced did it take for the new one to begin slipping?
A little over a week. In comparison to my first tranny (2000 rpm jumps), 2nd one started with 200 rpm jump and than within a week went up to over 500. It was "learning" to flare
Old 04-22-07, 10:18 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ESsearch
MD - I agree. I go by my personal experience as well:

My car - two transaxles, both slipped.

A friend in KC - two transaxles, both slipped.

Dealership loaner - Slipped

Scorecard - 3 cars, 5 transaxles, all slipped 100%. I have yet to ride in an ES350 that did not slip!

I know you and others have not had the problem so I do not overly weight my experience, nor would I suggest anyone else should. But, IMHO I do extrapolate my experience to assume that probably 30% to 50% do. Based on Toyota's and Lexus's response and people described as you did your mother however, I also assume that probably less than half that number is ever reported.

Pete

that's what we've been saying the whole time.

most people probably think their car is functioning normally. hey, it only flares once after the car sits for several hours. Usually, it works fine after that right?

I'll bet 90% of people don't even know these forums exist. So those people never report their defects. Hell, when I bought my 2003 ES, I didn't even read any forums.
Old 04-23-07, 12:00 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meadoel
Replacement trans = 200 kms before it started to slip. Still slipping.
Original trans = 2000 kms before it started slipping.
Original trans with valve body replacement TSIB = 200 feet before it started slipping.
Old 04-23-07, 07:30 AM
ESDragon
Driver

These tranny flares and slips are a design defect in the ES. Doesn't matter if you change the tranmission or done any of the TSBs. It is what it is and either you want to live with that or not. I come to realize that I bought the WRONG car. I started test driving the IS, RX and GS, none of them have this "characteristic". Unless you adapt the way the car drive which will minimize these slips then the car will be OWNING you instead of you owning the car. I guess not everyone is experiencing this flare is because of the way they drive. But if I get my hands on another ES, I can rest assure you that I can make the flare happen. So for any potential ES buyers out there I strongly suggest you look at the other models and stay away from the ES.
Old 04-23-07, 08:04 AM
RobF350
Driver

my 70k number was at the number of ES sold, I had no stats on the Camrys but know its way more then the ES.

Some of you get a bit worked up, understandable if I was in your shoes.
This is only a discussion though, so please dont get upset with me for discussing and not jumping to lynch the Toyota execs up on the tree.

I get on my car quite a bit, I drive it easy, hard, in traffic, I merge, yield, pass other cars, cross intersections- pretty sure I drive like others- no flare.
Old 04-23-07, 01:50 PM
LawrenceH
Driver School Candidate

I was going to buy a Ruby Red with UL package, but not any more. I am looking somewhere else. I am also entertaining waiting for next year model to see if the problem will be fixed.
Old 04-23-07, 02:21 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LawrenceH
I was going to buy a Ruby Red with UL package, but not any more. I am looking somewhere else. I am also entertaining waiting for next year model to see if the problem will be fixed.

Waiting is a wise move.

I'd say that unless you see an official recall of vehicles for this transmission, continue to wait until you do, because only after a recall is it likely anything resembling the current transmission will not be placed in these any longer.

Also, wait till you see technical bulletins issued on diesel engine noise and also wind noise in these. If you do not see bulletins issued on both of those, continue waiting, it has been a year and still no bulletin on even those issues, so wait till you do in conjunction with a drastic change in transmission from recall.
Old 04-23-07, 02:36 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that's what we've been saying the whole time.

most people probably think their car is functioning normally. hey, it only flares once after the car sits for several hours. Usually, it works fine after that right?

I'll bet 90% of people don't even know these forums exist. So those people never report their defects. Hell, when I bought my 2003 ES, I didn't even read any forums.
I think part of it is cluelessness, but from my own experience the only reason I found this forum was due to determination.

I had already been dogged by dealer service and deceived by Lexus before I found my way here. I think many would not do that.

The only reason I did was the complete absurdity of what I was being told, so one Sunday afternoon I casually did a search typing in ES350 engine noise and also wind noise and found my way here because I refused to accept the pure and total BS I had repeatedly been told.

It was not something I set out to do as a mission, just a casual thing one Sunday afternoon and I could not believe the volume of people on here who were also experiencing exactly what I was only then I did not even know my transmission was hosed up though plenty were on here back then--early August, complaining about their transmissions, later my first I realized had a hosed up transmission.

I think there are a lot of people who do have awareness of issues and do not find their way here, it was chance, casual fluke that I did.

Like you, i had never been on an auto forum for my ES300 or even my MB C240 for that matter and with my new Accord, haven't even looked to see if there is one for it though I'm sure there is.

BTW: I will always appreciate that the owner of this site created it in the first place..thank you Ethan... and the hard work of all who maintain it...thank you Dave, others... and much appreciation for those who actively participate because it was very helpful to me and will continue to be to others.

Last edited by ES350Bob; 04-23-07 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 03:58 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Howdy all, FWIW – my first trans flared at 1,433 miles, it was a slow learner, but my second car we got late at night made up for it the next morning when it flared with 25 miles on it (a worlds record). Just a personal comment here about the over all trans issue starting a year ago this week. Maybe the trans problems was result of the new design trans reduced in size (20% fewer parts) and the 20% reduction in parts was compensated by relying more on software to handle the job in an effort to reduce over all costs. The Es has a lot of cost saving features in it - as discused over the year. I think the margin was the bottom line. I think the trans was built cheap oops sorry, part of the reduced expense program I mean, probably can’t be fixed with out a major overhaul of the entire system - major cost. I think 07 is pretty much over for any kind of a fix, I'd say wait for 08 or the mid cycle run re-do’s (09) for any kind of a fix.

Last edited by osokuko; 04-23-07 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 04:12 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ESDragon
These tranny flares and slips are a design defect in the ES. Doesn't matter if you change the tranmission or done any of the TSBs. It is what it is and either you want to live with that or not. I come to realize that I bought the WRONG car. I started test driving the IS, RX and GS, none of them have this "characteristic". Unless you adapt the way the car drive which will minimize these slips then the car will be OWNING you instead of you owning the car. I guess not everyone is experiencing this flare is because of the way they drive. But if I get my hands on another ES, I can rest assure you that I can make the flare happen. So for any potential ES buyers out there I strongly suggest you look at the other models and stay away from the ES.

but having read these forums, you still took the gamble and bought the ES

I don't have big enough ***** to buy another. I'm staying away till year 2012.