ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Buyback Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 08:47 AM
rubyredes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyback Transmission

I know I might be treated like a red headed stepchild here but here goes. I bought a ES 2007 from a buyback program and I love it. The ride is fanatastic and no wind noise above 60 MPH, to me a user friendly GPS system, I understand the bluetooth and never got a manual. The car had 1700 miles when I bought it and has 2700 miles on it today. The one thing that happened that is concerning is I jumped in the car first thing in the morning and went about a 1/4 mile, max 35 mph, trying to catch a light. Light turns red and I stop. Light turns green and engine is running but no movement. Slowly but surely the car moves. Never happened again. By the sound of this forum it sounds like the car needs to warm up before pushing her. Correct?
Old 03-16-07, 08:54 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rubyredes
I know I might be treated like a red headed stepchild here but here goes. I bought a ES 2007 from a buyback program and I love it. The ride is fanatastic and no wind noise above 60 MPH, to me a user friendly GPS system, I understand the bluetooth and never got a manual. The car had 1700 miles when I bought it and has 2700 miles on it today. The one thing that happened that is concerning is I jumped in the car first thing in the morning and went about a 1/4 mile, max 35 mph, trying to catch a light. Light turns red and I stop. Light turns green and engine is running but no movement. Slowly but surely the car moves. Never happened again. By the sound of this forum it sounds like the car needs to warm up before pushing her. Correct?
Welcome,

From your description it sounds like hesitation which can happen and can be random and is not tied to cold or hot engine, just happens once in a while in my experiences, for others it may be different.

Unless by slowly it moved, you are saying something was holding it back though it was making some kind of forward progresss rather than what would be described as a hesitation in which case that would be a first on here to my knowledge.
Old 03-16-07, 10:30 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you hit the gas from a stop, did the car rev and the RPM go up---but you remained stopped? If so, your tranny was slipping.
Old 03-16-07, 11:13 AM
rubyredes
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes exactly

that is exactly what happened. RPM high no movement for 10 seconds. Do I need a new transmission? Even it has happen once in 1000 miles?
Old 03-16-07, 11:23 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Was there a load clunk when it did grab the gear with a jurk?
Old 03-16-07, 11:46 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

I think the better question here would be... Who from CL owned your car before you did and why did they have the car bought back?

FWIW - slipping at a standing stop is probably a worse condition than the 3 to 4 slip that appears most common. I was able to get my car to slip other times but never from a dead stop.

Maybe a stupid question....

Were you on ice?

If so, you may have seen the speedometer climb indicating that the wheels were spinning, but the TRAC system should have aborted that by either grabbing the binders or cutting fuel.
Old 03-16-07, 01:18 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

that is exactly what happened. RPM high no movement for 10 seconds. Do I need a new transmission? Even it has happen once in 1000 miles?
If this was once in 1,000 miles and it happened 500 or more miles ago and not since I'd say don't worry about it.

Worry only if it keeps doing it now and then and then gets even more frequent.
Old 03-16-07, 02:06 PM
rubyredes
Driver School Candidate

Default No clunk, no jurk no ice

I can't believe how nice this car is but one time might mean many more? No clunk no jurk no ice.
Old 03-16-07, 02:39 PM
djr
Driver School Candidate

If someone purchases a "buyback" vehicle, they are given the balance of the factory warranty, right? (Not that it currently does much for the transmission issues with the ES)
Old 03-16-07, 02:52 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I can't believe how nice this car is but one time might mean many more? No clunk no jurk no ice.

One time might mean many more but having a messed up transmission myself currently, I would not worry about a one time so far thing. I'd just wait and see if it did it more often.

Also djr is right, no real solution for the transmissions anyway so relax and enjoy it until it proves to you that it is indeed messed up.

If it is messed up, under warranty they have to replace it.

What you might do is ask for a complete copy of it's service history from a Lexus dealer service department and see what all has been done to it up to point you bought it.

And thank the dealer who sold it to you for being honest in letting you know it had been a transmission issue car.

There are RAT dealers who would not even tell you that up front before you bought it.
Old 03-16-07, 03:14 PM
rubyredes
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

I read alot about this car and people saying the quality was not up to par but except for this one item it is a great car and fun to drive. No rattles shakes or pings. Voice activated system works and bluetooth as well. smooth transition on Highway and alot of giddup when needed. I have seen alot of post about problems but I haven't had those issues yet. I had a 1995 ford taurus that need the transmission replace at 35,000 miles so I fear transmissions.
2001 Honda accord V6 2 door coupe
2004 Honda pilot with nav system
Old 03-16-07, 04:40 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djr
If someone purchases a "buyback" vehicle, they are given the balance of the factory warranty, right? (Not that it currently does much for the transmission issues with the ES)
yes, thats correct
Old 03-21-07, 03:45 AM
rubyredes
Driver School Candidate

I jusy want to thank everyone for the input. It really helps and I like this forum. I have not had any other hiccups putting on an additional 300 miles.