ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Black Sapphire paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 08:53 PM
Lex13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be slightly off topic but I'm confused about something when it comes to the ES350 colors. This is the first year of the 350 but I've seen several posts that refer to colors that are not listed on this year's model. What gives? I've seen the Black Sapphire Pearl, SGM, and Obsidian in person and on the Lexus website but what's up with these Black Onyx and Blue Onyx colors? Wasn't there a color poll out there once upon a time?
Old 03-10-07, 03:25 AM
static
Driver

When we were shopping back in Sept, the dealer told us the colors had just changed. The Black Sapphire wasn't in the brochures they had.

We selected the Black Sapphire after looking at an IS that was there, which the sales guy said was the first one they had received that color
Old 03-16-07, 03:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex13
This may be slightly off topic but I'm confused about something when it comes to the ES350 colors. This is the first year of the 350 but I've seen several posts that refer to colors that are not listed on this year's model. What gives? I've seen the Black Sapphire Pearl, SGM, and Obsidian in person and on the Lexus website but what's up with these Black Onyx and Blue Onyx colors? Wasn't there a color poll out there once upon a time?
Basically Blue Onyx became Black Sapphire (Dark Blue) and Black Onyx became Obsidian (a much deeper black than Blk Onyx). I'm assuming Lexus switched over to the new colors around August about the same time the other models were released.
Old 03-25-07, 04:05 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The weather is starting to get warmer in PA and my mind is know on waxing the car now. With dark color paint (Blue Sapphire on the ES and black on our two other cars), I have heard that Turtle Wax Ice wax is the way to go as it goes on clear, does a nice job and no white dust residue. Anybody use this? I have a bottle of Zymol and it did a nice job on metallic white paint.
Old 03-25-07, 05:08 PM
Cappy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garsarno
The weather is starting to get warmer in PA and my mind is know on waxing the car now. With dark color paint (Blue Sapphire on the ES and black on our two other cars), I have heard that Turtle Wax Ice wax is the way to go as it goes on clear, does a nice job and no white dust residue. Anybody use this? I have a bottle of Zymol and it did a nice job on metallic white paint.
Go to www.meguiars.com They have a video on their site that will give you lots of info on polishing and waxing. You can't go wrong with their products. Theres also lots of useful information on the CL Automotive Care and Detailing forum.
Old 03-25-07, 08:18 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I've used Meguiars in the past. It is good but I am tired of dealing with the white residue dust left, esp noticeable on dark cars.
Old 03-25-07, 09:18 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

I've used Meguiars in the past. It is good but I am tired of dealing with the white residue dust left, esp noticeable on dark cars.
Go with the Meguiars NXT sealant. Absolutely no residue dust, covers easy, hides light swirls marks, and lasts longer than regular wax. You will not be dissapointed. Easier to apply than Zymol too.
Old 03-26-07, 07:48 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I will research the Meguiars NXT sealant. Thanks....
Old 03-28-07, 07:00 PM
Lex13
Rookie

We can just tell people it is the new "Mystic" color.
Unusually warm weather for the past 10 days, the trees are now in bloom and "Mystic" color season has descended upon the Dark Side. We now have our work cut out for us.
Old 03-29-07, 05:39 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

That nice "green - gold" texture added to the car surface is coming very soon to PA also
Old 04-01-07, 05:29 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a bottle of Meguiars NXT Tech Wax on the advice of a very **** friend of mine. I'm very impressed with it! Apparently so are many others as there is a poll on waxes in the Care & Detailing Forum and it has the most votes.

I used it for the first time towards the end of last year. The car was still beading water when I redid it last weekend. It is a breeze to apply and remove, and it does not leave the white residue like other waxes. And you can get it at any automotive store for a reasonable price.

And if you don't already have one, get yourself a Porter Cable 7424 buffer and make your waxing life easy.
Old 04-01-07, 06:20 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Tried the NXT liquid on my 2007 black Impala SS first today (50 degrees F / cloudy). Went on easy, took care of some minor scratches and looks great. One problem I ran into was the hood. I used the Microfiber waxing pad and polish cloths on the total car. The hood hazed up and water marks became evident. I layed on a second coat and same. I went to my bag of tricks and brought up the spray version of NXT and Zymol. I sprayed the NXT on the hood, used a new microfiber pad to work it in and polished immediately with new cloths. Came out perfect. I suspect engine heat was part of it but I washed the car prior to the waxing and no sun was out. I am sold on the polish because of the ease of using, the results and no white residue anywhere. Did a little bit of the Black Sapphire UL top roof line next to the sunroof and it was great too. Will be polishing in time for Easter. Thanks for the tip - bought everything at Walmart.
Old 04-01-07, 07:34 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

garsarno, I suspect your issues with the hood were a result of not having any wax on it to begin with. The hood goes first as with other horizontal surfaces. But you now know how well this wax works.

One other thing I forgot to mention that was questioned earliear. Don't ever use a towel for drying. It will scratch the clear coat. Only use a chamois! But, natural ones are a PITA. I use 'The Absorber' as the best I've found. I keep one at home and one on the boat.
Old 04-02-07, 08:15 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

The roof and trunk lid came out perfect. I also use a chamois for drying my dark fleet. Car paint maintenance was so much easier with three white vehicles.
Old 04-03-07, 12:03 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Did the Black Sapphire ES350 today (before the BIG drop in temps later in the week) with Meguiars liquid NXT. Came out great also. Before I waxed the hood, I spritzed some cold water on it in order to cool it off. Worked better than the SS but I still needed to use the spray NXT to level it off. That blue sparkle stands out!