ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Transmission slip vs driving style....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 03:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission slip vs driving style....

I don't have the slip.

But I'm curious how you trans slip sufferers drive your cars, and if there's any correlation.

Do you drive like a granny, i.e 0 to 60 in 15 seconds?
or do you drive like a maniac, trying to beat everyone else's 0-60 record?

on the flip side, those without the slip, do you drive like a maniac too?
Old 02-09-07, 03:39 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I don't have the slip.

But I'm curious how you trans slip sufferers drive your cars, and if there's any correlation.

You bring up a good point. I think all cars have issues. However, not all people can detect an issue or even care, especially if they are leasing.

I suspect that a lot more people have tranny issues than reported, they just don't notice or it does not bother them enough. It is just like rattles, wind noise, etc.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Last edited by widlfiresd; 02-09-07 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-09-07, 04:28 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven both my car and loaners both ways. I could get one of the loaners to flare with hard accelaration. The other loaner would flare no matter what. My car will randomly flare under either condition. No ryhme or reason.
Old 02-09-07, 06:42 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does not matter your driving style. Ons videos prove that, he did a granny version, aka baby flare, and he did a rapid accel version video and there is in between the two.
Old 02-09-07, 06:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
You bring up a good point. I think all cars have issues. However, not all people can detect an issue or even care, especially if they are leasing.

I suspect that a lot more people have tranny issues than reported, they just don't notice or it does not bother them enough. It is just like rattles, wind noise, etc.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
So, I don't have the tranny issue (no rattles or wind noise either) - But I really do, it's just that I haven't noticed???
Old 02-09-07, 07:45 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

I think the biggest factor is the route you take whenever driving the car after it sets for 4 or 5 hours or more. I have never had a flare leaving my home and I have tried to do it. I go through a couple of blocks of residential roads and then to a 35mph speed limit road. It rarely flared leaving my workplace when taking my normal route home, traveling north on a 40mph speed limit road which is flat but with occasional stoplights. I do have to wait on a stoplight immediately out of our parking lot before heading out. It will flare regularly goiung south on the same road! Still flat but less stops and no waiting (usually) to head out. FWIW.

Pete
Old 02-10-07, 05:33 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete is right in my experiences. If you have a stretch of residential speed stop and go before getting to a road where you can normally acellerate up to 45 pmh or more, you may miss this entirely, unless your car has a habit of slipping 2 to 3 as well as 3 to 4 as several report, the 2 to 3 you will catch even in residential speed stop and go.
Old 02-10-07, 09:32 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
So, I don't have the tranny issue (no rattles or wind noise either) - But I really do, it's just that I haven't noticed???
I was referring to consumers in general. The folks on CL are informed and share issues. So folks like yourself are more aware of issues than a typical Lexus driver.

So after reading all the threads, and comparing issues to your car, if you say you do not have issues, most likely you don't.

Also, there is a gray area with respect to trannys and how they shift where some folks might consider normal and others would not.
Old 02-12-07, 07:04 AM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only speak for my car, but driving style seems to only effect the amount of rpm the flair has. If I'm light on the throttle it'll flair a couple hundred, if I squeeze the throttle a little more agressively, the rpm will jump more. It's a rarety when it doesn't flair under the standard conditions of first 3rd to 4th shift of the day, after sitting for 3 or 4 hours or after sustained highway driving (65 mph+) of an hour or so.
Old 02-12-07, 12:28 PM
Swobro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BillP
I can only speak for my car, but driving style seems to only effect the amount of rpm the flair has. If I'm light on the throttle it'll flair a couple hundred, if I squeeze the throttle a little more agressively, the rpm will jump more. It's a rarety when it doesn't flair under the standard conditions of first 3rd to 4th shift of the day, after sitting for 3 or 4 hours or after sustained highway driving (65 mph+) of an hour or so.

I concur with BillP. Mine slips 100% of the time when the car has sat for at least 3 or 4 hours. I can get up to ~1800 to 2000 RPM of slip if I'm on the throttle, and ~300RPM when driving less aggressively.
Old 02-23-07, 07:32 AM
rocco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I don't have the slip.

How about just driving like everyone else which is normal.
Old 02-23-07, 06:01 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

If you have the flare, you will know it. My car does not have the flare, but I did have a loaner car that did. Started the loaner car the same as I start my own, drove it down the same route to the main street, did everything consistant. The loaner flared more than once in the 36 hours I had it. My car has 9K miles and never has flared to date.