ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

seat belt chimes on ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 12:01 PM
caco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry seat belt chimes on ES 350

We purchased a 2007 ES 350 (3) weeks ago and love the car. It is so superior to the ES 330 we cannot believe it. We have one major problem however. If this could be fixed, the car would be perfect.

Is there some way to turn off / disconnect the seat belt chimes? We wear our seat belts 98% of the time, but we can't even go to the mail box and back without it going off. You can't take the belt off even a minute before you are going to be dropped off for valet. This is a pure design flaw. There must be a way. Please Help !!!!!

Caco
Old 06-05-06, 01:15 PM
qliu34
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caco
We purchased a 2007 ES 350 (3) weeks ago and love the car. It is so superior to the ES 330 we cannot believe it. We have one major problem however. If this could be fixed, the car would be perfect.

Is there some way to turn off / disconnect the seat belt chimes? We wear our seat belts 98% of the time, but we can't even go to the mail box and back without it going off. You can't take the belt off even a minute before you are going to be dropped off for valet. This is a pure design flaw. There must be a way. Please Help !!!!!

Caco
If you search the IS2 forum and you will find a way to turn off the seat belt chime. However, I haven't able to do it on ES350 yet. It just does not work on ES350. Maybe I am missing something. Maybe lexus has changed the way to turn off the chimes on the new ES350. Hopefully someone knows the answer. However, I wouldn't say it is a "pure design flaw". It is for safety concerns. If you read enough forums, you will find that people would complain "design flaw" for something they do not like.
Old 06-05-06, 04:14 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that it's not a design flaw, and that surely there is a way to disable the seat belt chime feature. I believe most '06 cars (Lexus and non-Lexus) have this feature. I noticed this in a '06 Corolla loaner I took out a while ago.
Old 06-05-06, 05:03 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how to disable on 06 GS and 06 IS; it should work on your ES:

1) Get into the car w/ ignition off and close the doors
2) Turn on car and Set the LCD on the combination meter to the ODO display using the ODO/TRIP button (put on odometer, not trip meter), then turn off car again
3) Turn to ON mode (2nd position on ignition switch)
4) Hold the ODO/TRIP button. Wait ten seconds, and while still holding the button, buckle the driver’s seat belt.
5) The LCD displays "Seat Belt Buzzer On/Off". Release the button. Pressing the ODO button toggles the On/Off

we turned it off also, it is annoying. we live in a private community with mailboxes at the entry of the community. so i get out and get my mail and then roll down the street about 300 yds to my house. and the thing would beep like nuts on me.
Old 06-05-06, 05:38 PM
qliu34
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
This is how to disable on 06 GS and 06 IS; it should work on your ES:

1) Get into the car w/ ignition off and close the doors
2) Turn on car and Set the LCD on the combination meter to the ODO display using the ODO/TRIP button (put on odometer, not trip meter), then turn off car again
3) Turn to ON mode (2nd position on ignition switch)
4) Hold the ODO/TRIP button. Wait ten seconds, and while still holding the button, buckle the driver’s seat belt.
5) The LCD displays "Seat Belt Buzzer On/Off". Release the button. Pressing the ODO button toggles the On/Off

we turned it off also, it is annoying. we live in a private community with mailboxes at the entry of the community. so i get out and get my mail and then roll down the street about 300 yds to my house. and the thing would beep like nuts on me.
have you tried this on the ES350? It did not work for my ES350.
Old 06-05-06, 06:50 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

no i have not, but it is likely to be the same sequence since the IS is the same with push button start, as well as the GS. my friend with a 400h RX also just did it and it worked.

FYI - in step #3 where you have to go to "ON" mode, just press your start button twice WITHOUT your foot on the pedal. that is the same as turning a key into the 2nd position.

give it a shot and see if it works.
Old 06-06-06, 06:34 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

I have also tried this and cannot get it to work.
Has anyone successfully done this on the ES350?

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not. It is a little hard to hold the Odometer button in and buckle the seatbelt at the same time.
Old 06-06-06, 06:50 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cleblanc
I have also tried this and cannot get it to work.
Has anyone successfully done this on the ES350?

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not. It is a little hard to hold the Odometer button in and buckle the seatbelt at the same time.
Thats why you ask for help.
Old 06-06-06, 01:50 PM
caco
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 350 Seat Belt Chimes

I am hoping someone has some further suggestions as to how to disconnect the seat belt chimes in the ES 350. Lexuslover provided some instructions that have worked on other Lexus models, but it appears they are not working for the ES. Does anyone have a solution?

This is really an annoying issue. Would appreciate any help someone can provide.

Caco (Chime Crazy)
Old 06-10-06, 02:04 PM
longboy41
Driver School Candidate

the chimed annoyed me, as well. i brought my lexus into the dealer and had the tech disable it. according to the quick reference guide, disabling the chime is one of the custom settings available on the es 350. you may also want to bring in the quick reference guide to show them the list of available custom settings, disabling the chime being one of the settings.
Old 06-21-06, 04:35 PM
caco
Driver School Candidate

Smile seat belt chimes

Thanks to LONGBOY41! We checked the quick reference guide as suggested, and did find this item indicated as a personal preference option. Thank you, thank you. Our dealership would not disconnect the chimes when originally requested, but we went in with your email and the page of the quick reference guide and no problem, done in 10 minutes.

This is a wonderful web site. Thanks to all of you who tried to resolve this issue. This does not mean I will not wear my seat belt, I just don't need the chimes to remind me. Never have, never will.

Thanks again,

Caco (no longer chime crazy)
Old 06-22-06, 09:25 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

you have to pretty much get the 10 second timing down exactly. use a watch or something.

it worked in my 400h.
Old 09-12-06, 10:47 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by oneeyejack
you have to pretty much get the 10 second timing down exactly. use a watch or something.

it worked in my 400h.
This also works on the 2007 RX-350. It doesn't say "Seat Belt Buzzer On/Off", however, it just says "b-On" or "b-Off", but it does the same thing and works the same way. As suggested, you definitely have to get the ten seconds nearly perfect. When you start this process on the RX-350, the odometer displays "--------" and flashes, removing a dash every second or so. When you have 1 dash left, put the seat belt in. I had to try it about 4 times but it worked... and boy is it worth it. The damn alarm is nearly aggrevating because it goes from slow chimes to annoying rapid chimes for over a minute. Someone at Lexus needs to get their *** kicked for this stupidity in my opinion. The first reminder is good enough. The second one just makes you hate the first one.
Old 09-13-06, 01:18 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Originally Posted by caco
Thanks to LONGBOY41! We checked the quick reference guide as suggested, and did find this item indicated as a personal preference option. Thank you, thank you. Our dealership would not disconnect the chimes when originally requested, but we went in with your email and the page of the quick reference guide and no problem, done in 10 minutes.

This is a wonderful web site. Thanks to all of you who tried to resolve this issue. This does not mean I will not wear my seat belt, I just don't need the chimes to remind me. Never have, never will.
I asked this to be done at the 5,000 service and when I picked it up they indicated that this could not be turned off. I showed the service writer the quick guide personal preference options, so back into the service bay it goes. The technician said he looked into the program and there was no option for him to turn it off. Go figure!!
Old 09-13-06, 06:12 AM
Gloval
Driver School Candidate

One problem I've had on my ES with the seatbelt chime is when a front seat passenger gets out of the car. Sometimes the airbag ON light will stay on and the seatbelt chime will start to ring even after the passenger has gotten out and closed the door. Has anyone else had this problem?

Quick Reply: seat belt chimes on ES 350