ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Check Engin & Trac Off Lights and lights on center column and shifter not o

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 02:48 PM
sdnorton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Check Engin & Trac Off Lights and lights on center column and shifter not o

Hello, I have a 2001 ES300 with 138,000 miles. It is starting to have a lot of problems and I can't afford the dionogistics! so trying to solve some things myself. My problems are as follows:
1.) Check engin and Trac off lights are on. The code that comes up is P0128.with msgs collant temp below thermostat.... (sorry, I didn't write it all down)
This happened a week ago while driving on freeway. I got home and checked coolant both running and cooled off. Level was a little low but not below the "Low" marker. No leaks seen. Engin temp has never gone over the halfway mark. But I did notice when I start the car about a minute or two later I see smoke or steam coming from side of engin near Thermostat and I smell something burning. The burning I have smelled for about 2 months, since oil change was done. There wasn't any warning lights and the engin temp was normal. The odd thing was the smell would come and go. I don't see any oil leaks but the whole engin is dirty. I haven't been able to keep up with maintance for past 7 ys, just oil changes breaks and tires.
2.) I just noticed last night that the lights on the center panel and gear shift are not on. Radio display is on but the channel lights, volumne not lite, Heating/AC buttons not lite and gear shift not lite. Seams everything else is fine. I don't drive at night much so I'm not sure how long they have been out. My user's manual shows its fuse #39, but I can't find the location for it.

I've read all I could find on the internet about the check engin lights and will try some of them and post the results.

Any help would be very appreciated!
Deanna
Old 12-09-16, 12:12 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Could be a bad thermostat stuck open or a bad coolant temp sensor. I'd replace the thermostat first and see if that fixes the problem. I just replaced the thermostat on my 99 ES300 and it was a pain because of limited access. Thermostats are cheap. I used the Stant OEM exact. It was about $15. Here's the link to a DIY I used http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...hermostat.html

The white smoke near the thermostat might indicate a coolant leak from the thermostat housing maybe contributing to your P0128.

as for the lights, if it's not the fuse the bulbs could be burned out. I replace some of the HAVC bulbs on mine. It was not too difficult. Just make sure you get the right bulbs first. Here's some links on how to replace those bulbs
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...s-pioneer.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...t-problem.html

Your check engine and Trac off lights are probably on because of the P0128. If you resolve the P0128 those lights will probably turn off.

Last edited by tomf; 12-09-16 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 12:37 PM
1960vw
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same code showed up on mine a few months back. Changed thermostat, all fine now. Use O.E. !
Old 12-11-16, 01:44 PM
sdnorton
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Tom for the information and step by step details. Now I just need to find someone in Manteca, Ca that can help me do it. I don't have any strenght in my hands nor can I bend over to work in the engin area. If you or anyone out there thats knows someone who can help this old lady, I would really appreciate the help! Its tough getting old and not having anyone around to help and not having the money to take car to a shop.
Old 12-11-16, 01:51 PM
sdnorton
Driver School Candidate

I did figure out the problems with the lights. Someone had turned the headlight switch off and because I hadn't driven at night for awhile I didn't notice it until the other night when I was just sitting in my car to get some fresh air. I should have known that was the problem,lol. Anyway, thanks for the links on how to change the bulbs. I will check them out as well. I love working on cars and computers, but lately my mind is just too foggy and hands too weak because of my neck injury acting up. Merry Christmas to everyone and I wish Happiness, Health nd Peace to everyone!