ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Trying to remove coolant drain plugS. help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 04:52 PM
skeeter55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to remove coolant drain plugS. help?

thanks for responding. es330 3.3--2006---got 40,000 miles on car. want to flush and drain coolant. i did see a video on youtube. and asked following questions but no replies. so here is my dilemma.

the front shield that looks like tin under the hood hides the catalytic converter blocks me from getting to the first drain on drivers side when looking down from top. can i get a wrench on that 10mm without removing the shield??
there are 3 nuts holding the shield on. two are easy and i removed them. the third nut nut on the shield is rusted and edges on nut are rounded at bit. socket not helping. i guess i could take a hack saw and start the slow process of removing it.
question. has anyone got that drain nut without removing the shield. i can get a wrench of it but ......next to impossible to create torque in such small quarters

SECONDLY--is the other engine drain on the passenger side above cv axle? can i get to it without removing removing wheel well cover.
Old 09-23-16, 09:06 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

The front/bank 2 drain is best accessed from underneath after removing the belly pan. Messing with it from above is more difficult - that heat shield is difficult to remove and has dangerously sharp edges.

The rear/bank 1 is also accessed from underneath - IIIRC, if you sight up and forward along the Bank 1 exhaust header, you will see it in the block. You can reach it easily with a pair of long extensions. The bolts are slightly different between the two banks I think.

Please make sure you are using the right coolant and not mixing incompatible types - you may know this but it is sometimes overlooked.
Old 09-23-16, 11:31 AM
skeeter55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks some much for response Oro. I didn't get to see your message prior to me going outside to figure it out. Here is what I did: Ok, I got the answer since chuck above didn't either read the message or has new email. anyway. i was able to stick my hand between the tin heat shield and engine to get to the 10 mm drain plug. Also the way to get to other drain plug on engine: location passenger side above cv axle. take passenger tire off, use extension and a 10mm socket to loosen it. hope these things help someone.

Ps you are correct about the tin heat shield i did put a small scrap on top of my left hand that i used to reach inward to the 10mm. Both drains were 10mm. Well glad you told me belly pan was easier to get to. i looked down and it looked like a solid frame
inhibit my movement upward to the drain behind heat shield. i will look more closely next time.

i read to use the 50/50 super long life (pink) in color. read extensively above these. i will use it although tempted to use the zerex asian because so much lined up with the super long life, and less expensive.