ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1998 es300 speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 05:49 PM
xoarz
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1998 es300 speakers not working

Hello CL, please help me!!
I have a JVC double din head unit, 4 Kicker 6.5" speakers in the door, and a Rockford amp/sub in the trunk.
One day i was driving around listening to music like normal when the speakers in my door stopped working. I could still hear the bass from the sub in my trunk but there was nothing coming from the doors. I went behind the head unit and re-soldered all the connections thinking that I had a bad connection but when I put everything back together to test it I had the same problem.
Next I tried to switch the head unit back to the oem one even though I doubted that the JVC head unit had anything wrong with it. When I put everything back together with the oem radio and turned on the car again same problem, no sound coming from the speakers.

Could it be that i'm using the factory amp to power the kicker door speakers? I don't know what else to think.. Am I missing anything? Thank you

Last edited by xoarz; 05-19-16 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 07:11 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that all depends on how you wired it all up.

So the aftermarket Amp is only powering the subwoofer? sounded like it was to me.

If you put back the stock radio an still get no sound it might be that the stock amp is blown.

If you can find a spare stock amp to test that might be worth your while.

Another thing I would try if it were me is to try wire a speaker directly to your JVC deck. If you used an aftermarket wiring harness the colors should be obvious. Use one of those colored pairs, Green or Purple pairs, or white or gray pairs.

if you get sound out of the bypassed speaker then it's likely a blown amp or wiring issue.
Old 05-20-16, 06:20 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a fuse for the stock amp? That could be the issue also.
Old 05-21-16, 11:28 AM
xoarz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
Another thing I would try if it were me is to try wire a speaker directly to your JVC deck. If you used an aftermarket wiring harness the colors should be obvious. Use one of those colored pairs, Green or Purple pairs, or white or gray pairs.

if you get sound out of the bypassed speaker then it's likely a blown amp or wiring issue.
Yeah my aftermarket amp is powering my subwoofer.
Funny thing is.... two days in a row I drove to work with my speakers NOT working at all but 6 hours later when I get back in my car to go home my speakers work... can a blown amp do that?

I think i just might have to wire the speakers directly to my headunit if I can't figure anything else out.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-21-16, 11:33 AM
xoarz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mmatheny
Is there a fuse for the stock amp? That could be the issue also.
I only saw one fuse for the audio system, it was a 7.5A fuse. Didn't look blown but I replaced it anyways and still nothing
Old 05-23-16, 09:03 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

I thought you just said it started working for some unknown reason?
Old 05-23-16, 01:12 PM
xoarz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mmatheny
I thought you just said it started working for some unknown reason?
Sorry if i'm confusing..
They do work.. but randomly. Each time I turn my car on it's a hit or miss that the speakers work. When they do work, they work perfectly throughout the whole ride, like nothing is wrong. But other times when I turn my car on, the speakers dont work at all.
Old 05-23-16, 01:16 PM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Ugh - that'll be a troubleshooting nightmare!
Old 05-28-16, 11:13 PM
xoarz
Pit Crew

Okay so after doing the factory amp bypass I narrowed down my problem.

this is the harness i bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300901571183

it comes with 2 separate connector things (my vocabulary is horrible)
the bigger one is to power the headunit and the front 2 door speakers and the smaller one is for the back 2 speakers. After soldering all my connections I plugged the bigger one. My headunit powered on and I could hear music out of my front 2 speakers. with my music still playing, I plugged in the smaller harness for the rear speakers and as soon as it connected, all my speakers went mute. When I unplugged it, my front speakers came back on.
That probably means that there's a bad connection causing a short in the rear speakers.. right??

Times like this makes me wish I just had a professional install everything instead of having done it all myself lol.

Sorry for being such a car noob