ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

(Urgent) Engine Immobilizer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 07:45 AM
youngim87
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (Urgent) Engine Immobilizer Issue

Car: 2002 Lexus ES 300

Yesterday my car battery died, so I jump started it and drove it to the nearest Walmart to buy a new battery. After changing the battery the engine wouldn't start, so I checked the manual and I figured out that the engine immobilizer was triggered when I changed the battery. I am the second owner and I never received the "Flat Key" which is supposed to have a chip that disables the immobilizer. I ended up towing my car to the closest Lexus dealership and today was informed that to even look at the car, they will charge me $150 (not including any work done to my car if needed).

Side note: I can lock/unlock the car using the key fob and the lights, radio, dash all work. I have 4 spare keys (1 with the electronic key fob for the alarm, and 3 without).

Does anyone know how to disable the immobilizer without using the "Flat Key" the manual says I need? I am really trying to avoid paying $150 to just check the car since I am an unemployed grad school student.
Old 03-14-16, 09:27 AM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in Cali are you?

Google how to reset IMU, If your keys are original to the car then you have to train the ECU to recognize your keys.

If not original, you are screwed and have to purchase a dealer order key.

If you have your car at home, stick a battery charger on it and turn key to IG ON ( idle off) and let it sit for about 1 hour. Do not try to start the car. Remove key close the door.

Open the door and try to start her.
Old 03-14-16, 09:46 AM
youngim87
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Where in Cali are you?

Google how to reset IMU, If your keys are original to the car then you have to train the ECU to recognize your keys.

If not original, you are screwed and have to purchase a dealer order key.

If you have your car at home, stick a battery charger on it and turn key to IG ON ( idle off) and let it sit for about 1 hour. Do not try to start the car. Remove key close the door.

Open the door and try to start her.
Thanks for the reply, I am currently at the Lexus dealership in Cerritos (Cerritos Auto Square). So I found out that the "Flat Key" is really just an emergency key and I should have the transponder chip within my current key fob, so I don't actually need the "Flat Key"...
I believe I have the master keys, however, the original casing kept breaking and I bought a blank/aftermarket key off ebay with the lexus style key fob cover (looks identical to the original) to use keyless remote entry and I use the spare key (gray lexus key with lexus emblem on it, but no keyless entry remote) to turn on the car.

The blinking red "engine immobilizer" light blinks when I enter the car, then when I put the key in the ignition it stays red for about .5 seconds, and then turns off and stays off (whether or not I turn the key). So, now I'm starting to think this may not be an engine immobilizer problem? I will look into resetting the IMU.. thanks!
Old 03-14-16, 05:26 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by youngim87
... I use the spare key (gray lexus key with lexus emblem on it, but no keyless entry remote) to turn on the car.

The blinking red "engine immobilizer" light blinks when I enter the car, then when I put the key in the ignition it stays red for about .5 seconds, and then turns off and stays off (whether or not I turn the key). So, now I'm starting to think this may not be an engine immobilizer problem? I will look into resetting the IMU.. thanks!
You are using the valet key to start the car. The immobilizer light will stay on for 1-2 seconds indicating that it is programmed as a valet key.

Since the light goes out, the system has accepted the key. What happens when you try to start the car? Does it crank over and over and not fire up?

Can you try it with another key or a master key?