ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cost of Replacing Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 10:51 AM
MrBsfirst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Safetybob
I would agree. I did the timing belt/water pump replacement with camshaft seal on my 94 base Accord and nothing there was out of anyone's capability. Very simple and somewhat straight forward. It just took a good amount of time getting everything off, changed, and put back together with my standards of attention to detail.

If there is a way to get the pump off without messing up a stud, then absolutely go for it. It is well worth the money savings to do it yourself. Time was my limitation so I had to have the dealership do the work. I would have LOVED to have saved the money and done the work myself. The Toyota V6 looks absolutely like a joy to change a belt on versus the 4 bangers.....

Bob
Bob, I too live in OKC and are also a new Lexus owner so I may be reaching out to you for advice on local repairs, etc. Many thanks!
Old 09-30-15, 11:12 AM
MrBsfirst
Driver School Candidate

Default Best DIY info I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by speedkar9
I was able to remove the water-pump from my 3MZ-FE ES330 and my 1MZ-FE Solara without touching the studs. You just have to unbolt timing belt cover #3 and slide it out of the way.

Here's the timing belt procedure:

Timing Belt / Waterpump Replacement: Toyota & Lexus V6 - YouTube

As long as you're able to knock the crank pulley loose, the rest can be done very easily with hand tools. The 3MZ differs slightly with the tensioner bolting in from the side, making you have to unbolt and swing the little power steering bracket out of the way to remove.

Spark plugs on the other hand require the removal of the intake plenum, and don't have to be changed with the timing belt. Its not hard, the trickiest part is that 14mm bolt right in front of the firewall:

Toyota Camry V6 / Lexus ES330 Spark Plug Replacement - YouTube

Amazing DIY videos. Is that you masterminding these two videos?
Old 09-30-15, 11:24 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is him, he is a real asset to the community.
Old 09-30-15, 11:32 AM
MrBsfirst
Driver School Candidate

That's about as impressed as I have ever been.
Old 10-06-15, 08:13 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
My torque question was for speedkar9, as I saw in his video how he just rattled the bolt on with his impact gun and called it good. I would not just do this, I have a good friend that did this on the 3.4L V6 in his T100, and a couple of days later the bolt fell out on the highway, the balancer fell off, took out a bunch of other parts (fan, shroud, all the engine belts) and damaged the end of the crank. It left him stranded on the highway in the middle of the night.

You really need a tool to hold the balancer after you reinstall it, then use a proper torque wrench to set it tight.
I just tightened the crank bolt as much as I could with my impact gun. I don't have any tool to hold the crank. The crank does rotate clockwise which is tightening the bolt as its turning.

I suppose one could make a crank holding tool out of a pipe flange if you've got access to a welder, and then torque it down.

For loosening that bolt however, either use the bump-start method or a 3/4" drive impact gun if its the first time the crank bolt is coming off from the factory.

Originally Posted by MrBsfirst
Amazing DIY videos. Is that you masterminding these two videos?
Originally Posted by JetsonES
It is him, he is a real asset to the community.
Yes these are my videos. I'm glad you all found them useful. Thanks
Old 10-10-15, 12:14 PM
My03Tundra
Rookie

I found a Toyota SAE certified technician that can do it (through a reputable independent shop) for around $695. This is for all belts, water pump, and other recommended components.