ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission FLUID Dump and Fill, How Much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 05:14 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
The safest way is to check the dip stick.....
The dipstick is super confusing, on a new fill should the level be at the second "Cold" Mark or second "HOT" mark? Does thermal expansion move it that much? let's say I filled it at the second cold mark, is it supposed to move the the second HOT mark when warmed up?

Can't find where it says how much to fill this in the manual.
Old 07-27-15, 06:40 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
The dipstick is super confusing, on a new fill should the level be at the second "Cold" Mark or second "HOT" mark? Does thermal expansion move it that much? let's say I filled it at the second cold mark, is it supposed to move the the second HOT mark when warmed up?

Can't find where it says how much to fill this in the manual.
The owner's manual might not tell you how much fluid. It will only specify the grade / type. The shop manual specifies everything.

Your owner's manual tells you how to check fluid level. The fluid level is supposed to be higher when the engine / transmission is at operating temperature. And it is supposed to be checked after shifting into all gears, at operating temperature, with the engine running in P.
Old 07-27-15, 03:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

It is not confusing. You simply keep the fluid in the cold or hot range depending on transmission temperature, check with engine running. You cannot check the level right away after adding fluid there will be ATF coating the dipstick tube and you will have false readings.

The best way is to drive for 15 minutes at highway speeds, pull over and check. Be glad these cars have a transmission dipstick many new cars including Toyota and Lexus don't, the procedure to check the level is ridiculously complex and time consuming. It also requires special equipment.
Old 07-27-15, 04:43 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

The safest way is to check the dip stick.....
Amen Brother Amen.

So, I confirmed my crazy transmission capacity by dipstick measured off at hot full level.

2.65 quarts. WTD???
Old 07-27-15, 05:33 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Amen Brother Amen.
Thanks. I don't know why people invent new ways to do things when the method is already specified in the owner's manual (written by technical writers and engineers).....
Old 07-27-15, 06:27 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Thanks. I don't know why people invent new ways to do things when the method is already specified in the owner's manual (written by technical writers and engineers).....
It's not that, it's the annoying part that Toyota engineers didn't build in a "fill bolt" instead requiring to use the dip stick to fill the trans! As you know it's a time-waster guestimating how much to put in based on how much came out when you can't get an accurate reading right-away requiring you to wait for the fluid to settle...

At least on my Hondas, most of the time there's fill bolt that's separate from the dipstick.
Old 07-27-15, 07:28 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just use the dip stick tube to fill in atf on my honda. There is a filler bolt that requires 18 in extension to access. Have done so many times on our honda's and been very easy.
Old 07-28-15, 05:55 AM
JDMSteven
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Haynes states change is 3.7 quarts which I assume also includes the torque convertor. ( would have been nice to include that info )

Well, I just wanted to change the filter and and refill with Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc Full Synthetic ATF.

Meets and/or exceeds Dextron II minimum requirement by Toyota.

Bought 4 quarts.

Drained and removed the pan.

Replaced the filter, Torqued everything down. CHECK.

Issue, Fill time:

it only took around 2 quarts

So be warned, DUMP and Fill is around 2 quarts. ( my oil catch tray only had 2 quarts in it )

As far as the left over quarts, I dumped and filled the differential to about 0.9 quarts ( per Haynes) until it dripped out the side while car was level. CHECK.

Wow, the shift transitions are allot smoother. I think I will dump and fill one more time to dilute the old fluid even more to 3 to 1 ratio plus.

Jim
Just bought a 99 with 145k and I don't think its ever had its transmission serviced, and I'm quite worried about something. If I'm up to speed and I let off the gas and coast, when I get back on the gas there's a kick, its somewhat harsh and its kind of like when you have bad motor mounts but I doubt whether my motor mounts are bad because my car doesn't move at all when changing gears at a stop.
Old 07-28-15, 04:03 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDMSteven
Just bought a 99 with 145k and I don't think its ever had its transmission serviced, and I'm quite worried about something. If I'm up to speed and I let off the gas and coast, when I get back on the gas there's a kick, its somewhat harsh and its kind of like when you have bad motor mounts but I doubt whether my motor mounts are bad because my car doesn't move at all when changing gears at a stop.
Try the MaxLife, it's very cheap at Walmart by the gallon.

Dump and fill, run and do it 2 more times. It will dilute the old fluid by or over 50%. Trans should be happy again. To do a better job I would replace the filter and gasket ( Both come in a kit for $16-17 )

Just do not force back flush, bringing up debris and bits back into the system is not a good thing. Ask me how I know.

Safely raise the lower the engine to see if the trans mount is torn or not, it could also be improper fluid level. As soon as I place the proper amount reverse clunk went away.

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 07-28-15 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 07:13 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

I've used Vavoline Maxlife ATF in my powersteering pump rebuilds and then flush. Also used this in my dad's 01 Honda Odyssey and my last changes in the 98 and 99 Camry V6 1MZ-FE trans service (replaced gasket and filter).

on the 98 we noticed it was significantly smoother between shifts (had 139k) on the original fluid, we got it at 129k. Finished the 99 last weekend with 84k on the original fluid/filter.

I'm not a fan of their Engine oil, Always Mobil 1 in all my cars, but for the price 18 bucks for 5 quarts at Walmart it's the best deal for Full synthetic ATF!