ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 Es300: Sport/Comfort Modes Not Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 06:09 PM
Maineguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Es300: Sport/Comfort Modes Not Malfunction

I just looked at really nice, one owner, garage kept, 121k miles, 1997 Es300. Everything checked out nicely on the car, BUT we could not get the car to go between COMFORT and SPORT MODES when we drove it. The mechanic checked out the rear struts and they both need replacing. When my friend pressed down on the rear sections of the car, neither side would bounce up and down and that's how we discovered that something was wrong with the struts. Is there an electrical connection between the rear struts that can cause the suspension modes not to change? The mechanic said he did not have the answer and could not make a guess without going further into the problem. Is it possible to just replace the rear structs and just have the car to be in Comfort mode? The OEM struts will cost around $900-1,000 in Not sure if it is worth pursuing the car because of this problem. I know very little mechanically about a Lexus at this point and would appreciate any feedback.
Old 02-10-15, 06:45 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I think what you're asking is if you can replace the struts with regular ones and have them be in "comfort" mode but it would really just be normal compared to ES' without the comfort switch. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Essentially you can just replace the old worn out electronic struts with OEM non adjustable struts and have the car be in "comfort" mode all the time. You don't have to replace the struts with the OEM adjustable ones (extremely expensive just like you were quoted).

You shouldn't have any issues since the adjustable computer and struts aren't connected to any warning lights on the dash or other parts of the car. The system is independent as far as I know.
Old 02-10-15, 07:25 PM
Maineguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply to my question. Yes, you hit the nail on the head. Any idea as to how much the REGULAR OEM struts would cost to have put in by a qualified Lexus mechanic? My friend and I have replaced regular struts on my Saab's and it has not been too difficult. I would imagine that they cannot be that hard to do. I would imagine that it would be better to buy "loaded" OEM struts instead of just trying to remove the strut from the spring? What are your thoughts on after market loaded struts? Is the mechanic correct in saying that they are JUNK???
Old 02-10-15, 07:45 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Sewell Lexus (trusted Lexus dealer with Club Lexus discount that sells OEM parts) sells just the struts (non adjustable) for $150 each. Search up on eBay too because I got a smoking deal on my rear struts from there.

Honestly I kept my original springs when I replaced the rear struts (my car is at 162k) and I can't complain. I believe my labor cost was around $300 from a local shop for just the rear suspension. I ended up buying the struts, mounts, and rubber boots then taking it all to them to get it done. They kept my original springs and switched out the struts and mounts.

I think was 127k on your car, just replace the struts, leave the mounts alone unless they are making noise while driving. You probably don't need new springs either. In addition, I don't believe you can buy OEM struts and springs "preloaded" you have to buy the parts separate.

Not necessarily are the aftermarket ones junk, but not of OEM quality. They really cut into the "Lexus glide" and make the car feel less like a luxury sedan. My dad replaced his 2005 ES330 struts with Monroe quick struts just because they were cheaper than OEM and I can say I don't like the way his car rides. It's kind of clunky to be honest and you feel a lot of road imperfections compared to my car.
Old 02-11-15, 05:11 AM
Maineguy
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear Struts

Thanks for the info on Sewell Lexus. Is there a "CODE" or "COUPON" that you send/tell them at Sewell Lexus when you order parts? Are they really that much less expensive than if I went to my local Lexus dealer? Can they be reached by phone?
Not sure if I understand correctly about OEM vs aftermarket on EBAY? I know that you said your dad's do not give the ride of the OEM struts, but you mentioned the "deal" you got on Ebay? Were these Ebay structs OEM??
Old 02-11-15, 07:31 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Yes, when you create an account, you put in your Club Lexus username and what not then you get your discount. They should be able to be reached on the phone, I don't see why not. I would say their prices are pretty decent, you can always call your local Lexus dealership and see what their prices are for the struts. Without the Club Lexus discount, the struts are $200 each instead of $150.

I'm sorry I didn't specify about the eBay deal. No I did not buy aftermarket struts on eBay, but OEM struts from a Lexus dealer that had an overstock of the struts. They were a good deal because the struts were returned to them with an open box. The Lexus dealership basically had a store that sold excess parts that were returned to them as open box items. I essentially ordered them from a Lexus dealership through eBay.

I will look for some listings on eBay and PM them to you for some OEM struts from dealerships.