ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just bought 98 es300

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 01:20 PM
faithmkss
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just bought 98 es300

I bought a 98 last week, with 131k. I have the 96 so I have high expectations however there are a few things that I am noticing. To be expected of course.

First is when I start the car I feel a strong vibration, car is not moving, when I turn the steering wheel it seems to get stronger in different positions. I am thinking motor mounts.

Second is oil leak, it is right near the passenger tire. I have not been able to address this yet but I am making sure oil is in there. I have read several different things. Should I use synthetic oil? As this model has that engine gelling issue.

Third is, I turned on the a/c and noticed the passenger side in the back a little wet. I only ran it for a few minutes. From reading, this could be a disconnected a/c drain hose?!?

Fourth, I noticed car was losing water, I have not over heated but I have noticed the reservoir continues to empty out ( I am under the hood before I get on the road looking around at everything since Im not familiar with this car yet) I thought I isolated the issue and replaced the radiator, the other radiator was horrible so it made sense. So this morning before going to work I pop the hood and see the reservoir empty again. (under the radiator cap it is full still) so I start the car put more water into the reservoir, after a few minutes I see coolant leaking from the passenger side, it looks like it could be in the area of the radiator but Im thinking the water pump. It may be the beginning and I caught it. I keep hoping it could be the reservoir, but I believe there is only one hose which is not leaking. If anyone has any advice or opinions I welcome it.

Fifth the gas door wont open unless someone is pressing down and holding the button and then I can open the door. This is a pretty simple issue.

Needless to say, after the leak, I hopped in my 96 and went to work. She has her own set of issues, but I made it. I think I'll keep her !
Old 03-31-14, 09:27 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like a lot of issues for a relatively young car.
As for the oil in the passengers side, it's most likely either 1 or both of the following:
Rear Valve Cover gasket and/or Cam and Crank seals.
Can't speak for the loss of radiator fluid as I've never experienced that.

Good luck and update us.
Old 04-01-14, 05:07 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

1) Vibration at idle most likely due to motor mounts. When you step on the gas slightly, does it ease up? Good luck if the rear engine mount is shot, its a PITA to replace. Here's my busted rear mount:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EYQSpkOpWw

2) Oil from the passenger side is most likely the rear valve cover gasket. I had the same issue with my Solara (which has the same drivetrain as the ES300). Degrease the engine bay to isolate the issue, it could also be a leaking power steering pump or cam/crank seals as OceanView mentioned.

3) A/C drain hose most likely.

4) Does the car over-heat? Do you see pink dusty residue where the coolant has leaked and dried? If its coming from under the timing belt cover, then its the water-pump. If not, it could be the water-outlet gasket, where the radiator cap joints to the block. Have a look at the other side of the engine where the thermostat is near the lower radiator hose to check for leaks, as well as the heater core.

Enjoy your ES300's
Old 04-01-14, 10:09 AM
faithmkss
Rookie

Thank you both for your replies.... I will definitely look into these things now that I have a little more insight.
Old 04-01-14, 10:57 AM
faithmkss
Rookie

Oh and Im sorry speedkar9, the car does not overheat. Or has not yet. I have been closely watching everything under the hood since I just dont know what to expect. When I noticed the reservoir was almost empty I put more in, and made sure that none leaked over the edge. Car ran for less than 5 minutes and this dribble came out. (see pic attached) mind you this came from around the radiator area on the right side like it was dripping onto the plastic cover so I still need to isolate the exact area. However last night I tried to duplicate the problem and no leaks after 10 minutes running. I did read that a failing water pump gives subtle signs which usually start slow and may be intermittent. Until or unless bearings are ruined etc. So maybe Im lucky, or maybe its something else like what you mentioned. And yes more issues than it should given its mileage. It is salvage, so its possible that may of effected it.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought 98 es300-20140331_083351.jpg