ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3VZ-FE - Where is the block coolant drain plug???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 11:39 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3VZ-FE - Where is the block coolant drain plug???

Can someone tell me where the hell the coolant drain plug on the 3VZ-FE block is and how best to find it........

I have a couple of jacks and stands to use, so my access is from lying on my back underneath the car, or standing over the engine bay going from the top down..... I don't have a lift / hoist etc.

I can't for the life of me work out where this damn drain plug is....

In reading various bits and pieces on the net I just end up confused...

Some places indicate the drainplug is on the right side when looking at the engine from front of car but if it is I really can't see it, nor do I really know what it looks like...

Other places say it's on the opposite side of the block to the oil filter which would be the firewall side of the block I guess - either way I don't know...

Diagrams locating it in the FSM are either non existant or useless....

Does this drain plug look like the radiator drain plug (sort of like a plastic hot water bottle plug)??? Or is it more like a bolt or oil pan type drain plug???

Am I going to find it looking down from the top????? Or will I find it from underneath???

Do I need to remove anything to find the stupid plug????????????

The state of the coolant is really bad, so I need to get as much of it out as possible..

Photo or video would be real good but is probably asking too much..
Old 03-29-14, 06:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,552 Posts

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
Other places say it's on the opposite side of the block to the oil filter which would be the firewall side of the block I guess - either way I don't know...
That's where it is. It's hard to get a picture of it because of the location.
3VZ-FE - Where is the block coolant drain plug???-hpu35c4.png

Drain on front of block, highlighted in red -
3VZ-FE - Where is the block coolant drain plug???-1xtitno.png

Last edited by LeX2K; 03-29-14 at 06:34 AM. Reason: added image
Old 04-02-14, 05:57 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Ok I'm still struggling with this.....

So this block drain plug is on the side where the 3 more difficult to access spark plugs are??? (firewall side bank)????

How do you access them?? Stick your arm in and feel around??? remove the manifold for better access??

I'm getting to the stage where I think I might drain the radiator. Then try flushing with a hose via what I think is the in/out hoses for coolant that live on the airbox side of engine bay at the rear by the firewall...(if that makes sense) I can't find a good engine bay picture showing the hoses I think are the ones to use...

Does someone have a picture of the best place to use to do a flush??? I just want to confirm what I was told is actually the right place to do it from..... The chap who told me says he is a mechanic from Iraq he has a couple of Toyotas (89 Celica & early 90s Corona Wagon).. The hose he showed me appear to me to carry coolant into and out of the heater core depending which hose...
Old 04-02-14, 06:32 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

In the picture below I've marked with arrows the general area where I was told to do the flushing from - the hoses to attach my garden or fire hose too..... Does this sound about right???

Anyone got a better photo showing the actual hose / connections to use? (my camera having problems so I can't photo my engine bay to show what I'm talking about,,,

3VZ-FE - Where is the block coolant drain plug???-92es300enginebay.jpg

Well thats where the hoses appear to be on my RHD car.... I'm not sure if some hoses and stuff are moved to the other side for the LHD vehicles in the USA...??