ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Inner tie rod replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 01:54 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner tie rod replacement questions

Ok the inner tie rod and tie rod tool should be here soonish...

Some questions tho....

Will I need to replace the clips that secure the boot on the tie rod??? or are they reuseable??

Are there any other parts that I'll have to replace? - I guess the boot is a maybe I'll have to check it's condition when I get on with the job...

Can someone tell me if one of these adaptors (listed below) that come with the tie rod tool will be the right size for removing the Toyota / Lexus inner tie rod???

Includes 7 Adaptors • SAE: 1-3/16in, 1-1/4in, 1-5/16in, & 1-7/16in • Metric: 14mm, 17mm, & 33.6mm

Any hints, tips, or advice before I get started???? This is not a task I've attempted before...

From what I gather you should count the number of turns / threads it takes to remove the outer tie rod from the inner to keep the alignment good enough to drive to the tyre shop for an alignment afterwards....

I've got a couple of stands to lower the car onto when I jack it up...

Do I keep the wheels straight for the job? or do I turn them to the passenger side as I'm doing the drivers side...??

How do you "unstake the claw washers"??? or will that be obvious when I see them?? Is it difficult???? How do I restake the washers?? or is it also obvious when I get to that?? should I be using locktite or some other similar product for any part of the job??

Last edited by gtstcactus; 02-06-14 at 02:04 PM. Reason: More questions!
Old 02-06-14, 04:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Will I need to replace the clips that secure the boot on the tie rod??? or are they reuseable??
You can reuse them if you are able to get them off without damaging them. The threads get gunked up so clean them up and lube first.

Are there any other parts that I'll have to replace? - I guess the boot is a maybe I'll have to check it's condition when I get on with the job...
Yep check the boots and of course replace the outer tie rods.

Can someone tell me if one of these adaptors (listed below) that come with the tie rod tool will be the right size for removing the Toyota / Lexus inner tie rod???
Don't know, I use a crescent wrench or sometimes a large pair of Vice Grips. The proper tool would be nice...

From what I gather you should count the number of turns / threads it takes to remove the outer tie rod from the inner to keep the alignment good enough to drive to the tyre shop for an alignment afterwards....
Yes. There is a specific measurement shown in the service manual, but I don't bother with that. If the alignment shop is only a few kilometers away as long as you have the wheels reasonably straight no worries. Put some grease or anti-seize on the threads.

Do I keep the wheels straight for the job? or do I turn them to the passenger side as I'm doing the drivers side...??
You can turn the wheels to whatever position gives the best access.

How do you "unstake the claw washers"???
With whatever you have available. I have a punch of some description that I ground down to a more flat end, I use it for various jobs.

The hardest part of this job is lack of access, it's much easier when the car is on a lift.