ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
Old 12-15-14, 05:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Spray-wax at car wash

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 07:36 PM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spray-wax at car wash

I go to the self wash and there is an option for wax along with the selections for water, soap, etc. I was wondering if anyone here uses this and is it ok to get on the windows, etc? I've never used it - I always just wax my car by hand every 2 months or so using traditional wax, but I was thinking that in the winter this might be a good idea to do every time I wash (once a week probably).

Also how about spraying this wax all under the underside of the car (floorpans, subframes, brakelines, etc) after washing to help protect it from the salt? Or will this cause more harm than good (idk how it could, but you never know...)
Old 11-25-13, 08:06 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The wax they use at car washes, will do absolutly nothing fr your car. It will wash right off with nthe next rain, or simply disappear after a day or so. you're wasting your money.

So forget about spraying it under your car.

I don't know which wax you're using, some are better, and easier to use than others, but keep waxing your car every two months the way you're doing it. Any wax that you rub in is better than nothing.

Check out the "Automotive Care and Detailng" section in theis Club Lexus Forums

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 11-25-13 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-26-13, 05:32 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I give my cars a good wax before winter. I frequently hand wash the car during the winter (especially after a storm with all the salt on the road), and re-wax when the weather gets warm again in the spring. The car wax (Turtle Wax, Mother's, etc) lasts much longer enough to protect the car through the whole season.

Rust proofing oil is what you need to spray under the car, in the door jambs and engine bay to protect from corrosion.

Also be careful with the high pressure hose at the shelf wash, too much pressure could remove paint chips, penetrate sunroof seals and remove some protective wax and rust proofing from your car.