ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Some Kind Of Steering Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 06:43 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some Kind Of Steering Issue?

I have a 95 es300, both high pressure lines that go to the power steering reservoir seem to be leaking i think? the engine bay seems wet with PS fluid and when i followed the lines, they looked wet.. They look like a real pita to replace.. and is PS fluid supposed to be clearish? (I put ATF as reccomended by the manual which is red, but the fluid is clearish..)

Anyways I had to do a long drive today.. Los Angeles to San Diego, usually its not long, but today it took 8.5 hours cause idk!! but damn it sucked

I did notice this issue before, but my steering wheel would make a little tick tick tick sound when i'm turning in the parking lot some times, from somewhere near the wheel..

I just thought it was the tire scraping the fender weather guard or whatever and kept putting it off..

today, the steering wheel was very unresponsive, and heavy at times.. when i fully stopped the car, and turned the wheel lock to lock a few times, it was a little better for a while, then got heavy and very unresponsive again, i was trying to merge lanes and enter/exit the freeway and i had to slow down sometimes to almost the guy behind me rear ending me.. cause the steering wheel felt so heavy and the car felt like it was understeering big time..

i mean i would try to steer faster, but it didn't feel heavy like a manual rack, but very disconeccted..

i had another car where the rack was kind of bad, but it wasn't as unresponsive as this.. the weird thing is it comes and goes, and is much less noticeable at lower speeds, and i def can feel the PS working.. but at higher speeds.. its like the PS goes on and off, or just dies

(BTW PS is power steering)

could my rack and pinion be damaged? PS pump?

i don't understand why its on and off...

thanks in advance like always guys
Old 06-15-13, 08:39 AM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tick tock when turning is likely a CV joint, especially if it does it while the wheel is kept at same angle and turning radius feels the same. The "disconnected" feel definitely sounds like a rack issue. The issue with the wheel getting easier when you spin it a bit sounds like a pump/ fluid issue.
I'd get it looked at asap. Steering issues are about as dangerous as brake issue.
Old 06-15-13, 12:47 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ErikTheRed
The tick tock when turning is likely a CV joint, especially if it does it while the wheel is kept at same angle and turning radius feels the same. The "disconnected" feel definitely sounds like a rack issue. The issue with the wheel getting easier when you spin it a bit sounds like a pump/ fluid issue.
I'd get it looked at asap. Steering issues are about as dangerous as brake issue.
hmm i had the axles done a while back, guess they might be going again? stupid rebuilt axles... paid a mechanic good money too cause its my mom's car..

sigh i guess i better get it checked asap and determine if i should do a diy or not..

thanks