ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Please help me!!! I have a 1992 lexus es300

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 11:22 AM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Please help me!!! I have a 1992 lexus es300

Hello, I have a 1992 lexus es300, and just took it to the dealership b/c i asked
them to look at my rear suspension. What they found shocked me even more.
There is severe rust in the rear, but the rust is in the body frame itself,
located by the strut mount. It is more severe in the back left than
the back right. What scares me is that this has nothing to do with the shocks
or struts. This has nothing to do with the suspension of the car. The body/frame of my car is rusted and it is now dangerous to drive b/c at any moment, the rust can come all apart and the back of the car would collapse. So obviously, now this is a question of body work and how much that can be
to fix a problem like this? can anyone help me out. I have had this car
since 1992 and bought it new and love it to death and don't plan on letting it
go, but now it's a question of what body shop can do the work to fix the
frame of the rear body where the strut mounts insert. So the basic problem is that
there is severe rust in the rear of the car of the body of the car where
the struts insert, more severe in the rear left.
Old 03-29-13, 07:15 PM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the rust in the rear subframe or the body? Maybe it would help if you could post some pics too, so others can better see what you're describing. If it's the rear subframe I'd say go to a junkyard with a couple of buddies and take a good one off of another ES (I'm probably wayy underestimating the amount of work that would be lol, but since it's in the rear I'm guessing it wouldn't be that complicated). Me and my dad also have a 92 bought brand new and I'd never let it go so I feel your situation
Old 03-29-13, 07:39 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If it is the strut mount area as you say it is unfortunate! On a unibody car once the rust has compromised the structure it is not easy or cheap to fix, a strut tower particularly.

Just consider this: You may be able to have it fixed, anything can be fixed. You will have to do this out of emotional attachment to this car, just buying another '92 ES300 in better shape or any number of other options will make more financial sense.
Old 03-29-13, 07:44 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagelex
Is the rust in the rear subframe or the body? Maybe it would help if you could post some pics too, so others can better see what you're describing. If it's the rear subframe I'd say go to a junkyard with a couple of buddies and take a good one off of another ES (I'm probably wayy underestimating the amount of work that would be lol, but since it's in the rear I'm guessing it wouldn't be that complicated). Me and my dad also have a 92 bought brand new and I'd never let it go so I feel your situation
I believe the OP is talking about the inside of the rear shock towers. It's not surprising, since road salt and rain water can get trapped in there and slowly eat away at any rock chips.

Question - did you see the damage for yourself, or were you told all of this by the service adviser? As far as the repair goes, I believe they would have to cut out any severe rust and weld in new steel panels. Shouldn't be too difficult for an experienced body shop. After all is done, make sure they apply some rubberized underbody coating to protect the finish.

p.s.: As Power6 has mentioned, it is a structural component, so it is a bit more complicated than just cutting and welding panels. If I was in your situation, I would repair the car, especially if you kept up with everything else on it. One owner vehicles of that vintage are fairly rare.

Last edited by Hayk; 03-29-13 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 07:52 AM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

Hi thanks for the quick response.
I had my mechanic put my car up on the lift and this is what i saw.
the rear left strut tower is really rusted and rotted, and it has gone through the body of the car,
basically went through some of the metal. I have friends who own auto body shops, and they
are going to do it for less than 500.00 dollars, which i think is very reasonable. The rest of my car
is nice and really in tip top shape. I recently got a new rack and pinion, new front brakes, pad, rotors,
front control arms, front bushings and front stabilizers. I think i am going to get the body work
done. they told me they just need to remove the tire and rim, and then take out of the strut tower
and clean away all the rust and rotting around that area, and then will weld in a plate.
Old 04-03-13, 07:54 AM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

Hello and thanks so much for your quick reply.
I did see what happened b/c i took my car to my mechanic and he put it up on the lift.
the rear left strut tower is rotted and rusted, but it's not horrible. it busted through
the frame of the body in the rear left, but i found out that my friends can do it for less
than 500.00
Old 04-03-13, 07:56 AM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

Sorry i dont have pics but i will take them soon.
i did take my car into the mechanic, and he put it up on the lift and this is what i saw:
the rear left strut tower is rusted and rotted, and it has gone through the body of the car.
they are going to create and metal plate and weld it in, and i got a quote. prob
gonna be less than 500.00

thanks
praveen