ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Remote Door Locking 92 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 03:38 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Door Locking 92 ES300

I have not been able to re-program a remote from another ES300 but my original remote is still working even with a cracked case. (The door opening/closing routines don't do anything.) The used remote is from another car and it has a new battery and RF is getting out as I checked it with some ham radio gear.

My Questions:

1. Can a remote be cloned? In other words, is there a service for copying the remote frequency/code from one remote to another? A local Lexus locksmith shop says maybe the car alarm shops can do it.

2. Is there a conversion kit available that uses the existing electric door locks and provides their own remote control key fob with out the Lexus key? I have my alarm crippled with the wire to the horn cut. (The theft deterrent system was going off for no reason at odd times, but I will be replacing the module near the glove box, and hoping that will cure this)

Old 07-21-11, 06:16 AM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '93 ES300, which came with a broken original key and an aftermarket alarm/door/trunk control kit installed. What I did was buy 2 key blanks off EBay, meant for a later model Lexus, and cut them up and spliced them together to make a new case for the broken original. It was tricky, but I managed to mount the old circuit board from the original key into the newly constructed key case. It looks and works great. Why don't you just swap the board from the cracked key into the other one, avoiding re-programming?
The aftermarket kit is a Compustar 1WSHR-1600 5532A-JR1600, sold by and installed locally (Canada) at Futureshop. I bought a second remore off EBay and programmed it for the unit, piece of cake.
Old 07-21-11, 11:05 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile Good Information

Very interesting solution and thanks. My comments are:
1. Swaping the old key with circuit board into the other remote is something that I have always had in mind, but I would prefer to have a second working remote and use my original for as long as I can. I have it taped together and I have cut away the case around the button so my finger nail can operate that button stub as the top piece fell off and has been lost. When this remote can no longer be used, I will have to go back to the old way, key in the lock.
2. As you certainly know, it is nearly impossible to reattach the circuit board to a new key thus throwing away the key from another vehicle although this has been done with the later models.
3. I did not understand too well what you did with the later model remote. I guess you only used the case and made it fit to the original remote and key. Your suggestion to swap out the circuit board with key would better accomplish this in my case. Even so, my key is badly worn and a new remote with proper key would be an ideal solution, but I understand these are very expensive from the dealers.
4. In the back of my mind, I keeping thinking about swapping out the entire alarm and locks with a later model ES300 which has remotes that allow for replacing just the key portion. (the circuit board is not welded to the key) HOWEVER, I am in the process of replacing my original front door locks (both damaged by thieves) so maybe this is would not be very practical. Question: Has anyone done this and what was involved?
5. ONE MORE THING: I discovered that if your battery goes dead, you can't open the door (the driver side anyway) with your key as the locks operate electrically. I had to have someone reach up under the radiator, release the hood and then remove the battery for recharging. Another time, I got a mechanic to run a stiff wire through the space at the top of the window and pull on the door lock latch. Hard to do, the wire slips off easily. Although I have purchased a new battery and alternator, I have a spare battery in the trunk as that can be opened with my key even with a dead battery. My car is only used when on vacation, so it is parked in the garage for several months at a time. Battery Tender, trickle charger might be a good thing to acquire for my situation.

Old 07-21-11, 01:01 PM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I guess if you are replacing the door locks anyway, then it opens up the possibility of getting a new key(s) entirely, cut to fit the new tumblers. But...the ignition and trunk would then be different. The old style keys are available, but extremely pricey. For example, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-96...Q5fAccessories I looked into these, hoping to find a used cheap one to get the case, but had no luck. That's why I bought the later model case/keys and retrofitted to fit my old (working) one.

With all costs considered, an aftermarket fob with all the features is by far the easiest and least expensive route. They aren't that much and are easy to install yourself. The one that came with my car has door lock/unlock, alarm, trunk opening, and remote start. The original key that I retrofitted only has door lock/unlock, and never was avaiable for remote trunk or start. I'm not sure if the alarm system would have worked with my original key since the installers had to wire in the new brainbox, probably disabling it.
Old 07-21-11, 06:09 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Default Got door lock cylinders re-keyed today

For US$35. each, a local locksmith who does work for the Lexus dealer, re-keyed the two used door locks to match my master key. When doing this I get some new tumblers and everything cleaned and working smoothly. He did the same last year for a trunk lock that I replaced. If anyone on the west side of Los Angeles needs a Lexus key, contact Santa Monica Lock and Safe on Pico Blvd. As the used locks came with ignition and trunk, I am having him re-key the ignition too, just in case mine has a problem someday, I will have a ready to install spare ignition lock.

A word of caution if you buy used lock cylinders: You must get a working key with them or the lock smith has to pick the lock and that will cost a lot more. I think I paid about 100 dollars to have the other trunk lock re-keyed last year. At that time, I did not need door locks.

That ES300 single button remote that I bought last year on Ebay, I think I paid less than US$50. for it. That current auction you linked to is way too high priced. Especially, when all you get is a remote FOB unless one wants to re-key all of the locks to use it as a key.