ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Aim down HID's on a '95ES?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 11:00 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by HekkaFlush
I didn't realize you guys get butt hurt when I bashed on your cheap DDM lights.. I say it's garbage because the hid quality is the same as a regular halogen bulb! But hey, everyone has there opinion on the brand, so whatever. And the hid kits I buy are actually German engineered made, same company that makes hids for Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc. So don't try bashing on me. Like I tell everyone, don't half *** on your cars and buy cheap **** and just do everything the right way!
DDM has a good reputation, in where ALOT of people recommend, and give good reviews on them. I would NEVER pay 400 for a HID kit, there is alot more things you can do for 400. they probably are better, but cant be THAT MUCH BETTER. for all that, you probably should have got a car that was factory installed with them inside.
Old 01-23-11, 02:27 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh you guys are right, my bad if I came in here telling you it's garbage. And this is a forum, everyone has a right to speak there freely opinions. But I guess this forum works differently.
There is a difference to polluting a thread by going off topic and actually having something constructive to say in it. You just need to think about what we'll say before you post thats all
Old 01-23-11, 08:22 AM
HekkaFlush
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

400 buck is way to ridiculous! The max pay I buy my hid kits are user 100 bucks with reputable good quality.
Old 01-23-11, 08:33 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh you guys are right, my bad if I came in here telling you it's garbage. And this is a forum, everyone has a right to speak there freely opinions. But I guess this forum works differently.

No, everyone is entitled to thier opinion, BUT, if it's a car part, a brand, a seller, etc, you need "proof".

If I come on here and say your ripping people off, that's my opinion. So I;m entitled to say that WITHOUT proof, right? Thats all we're saying. When stuff like that gets posted, a thread just turns into a ****show unfortunatly
Old 01-23-11, 11:39 AM
HekkaFlush
Driver School Candidate

Oh gotcha!^-^
Old 01-23-11, 12:11 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

DDM is a garbage hid brand just to let you know. It's a cheap 30 dollar Chinese knock off.
They're most definately 'not great' when compared to denso, matsu****a. But more than fine on a budget.

I didn't realize you guys get butt hurt when I bashed on your cheap DDM lights.. I say it's garbage because the hid quality is the same as a regular halogen bulb! But hey, everyone has there opinion on the brand, so whatever. And the hid kits I buy are actually German engineered made, same company that makes hids for Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc. So don't try bashing on me. Like I tell everyone, don't half *** on your cars and buy cheap **** and just do everything the right way!
NO one's butthurt, you're the one with a raging hard-on for DDM kits vs. your 'better 100$ ballasts' *which FYI are built the same way that the DDM kits are. Inform yourself before trying to flame others.

Feel free to speak your mind and all. But next time re-read what you're about to post. And if you're assuming facts, don't bother. As a result, you make yourself look like a dip****, which is what you have successfully accomplished here.

400 buck is way to ridiculous! The max pay I buy my hid kits are user 100 bucks with reputable good quality.
Ya, mine are 53$ USD Shipped. 'German engineered' and have lasted me for over 4 years.

But they're 47$ cheaper than yours, so they can't surely be good, right?
Please post what 'brand' you're using - just out of curiosity.
Old 01-23-11, 03:11 PM
HekkaFlush
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Ya, mine are 53$ USD Shipped. 'German engineered' and have lasted me for over 4 years.

But they're 47$ cheaper than yours, so they can't surely be good, right?
Please post what 'brand' you're using - just out of curiosity.
I pay $50-60 shipped for the kits I purchase. Let me get a link...
Old 01-23-11, 07:18 PM
peter1965
Driver School Candidate

Just backing away from the aggro for a moment.... here in Aussie and in the UK, it is illegal to convert halogens to HID's because of the dazzle caused by the conversion to oncoming drivers. Potential risk here is driving an unroadworthy (and, more importantly, one that is hazardous to other road users) vehicle.

I came upon an article (from memory from the US and sourced via Google) that explained that part of the road-authority issue was that in halogen lamps the most intense part of the light eminated from the middle of the filament, whereas the most intense part in a HID was at the edge of the arc (viz nearest the electrodes) and this difference needed to be designed into the reflector and lens design to ensure the light spread is appropriate for road use. Not sure of the relevance of this point as my recollection of halogen lamps is that the filament is aligned front to back, not side to side. My recollection could be faulty here tho.

Another potential issue with HID's is the high voltage used to create the arc (arond 25kV) so make sure that you have adequate protection/isolation between the HID ballasts and the rest of the car electrics.

The final thing that makes me worry about the whole issue is that OE HID's are really expensive options (typically multiple hundred dollars) and yet the after-market kits are well under this - surely there is more to this price disparity than just price-gouging by the car companies.

I was all set to order HID's for my '97 ES but on balance decided that the upside was not worth the potential downsides.

Anway, food for thought.

Peter.