ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES 300 Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 07:34 AM
bmike74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 300 Cold Start Problem

I have a 99 es300 with about 188k miles on it. In the morning, the car has trouble starting. It will turn over three times then stop. On about the third/fourth try it will start. Yesterday, after it started it idled roughly, until I revved it, at which point it smoothed out. Once I get it started in the morning it will start fine throughout the day. Can anyone advise what this may be?
Old 07-06-10, 09:48 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

One possibility is that fuel pressure is bleeding down overnight, causing a hard start condition in the morning. Next morning, before you start the car, turn the key to the "on" position for 5~10 sec, then back to the "off" position. Try this several times. When you first turn the key to the on position, the fuel pump will run for several sec. If you do this several times, you will build up fuel pressure.
Old 07-06-10, 10:13 AM
bmike74
Driver School Candidate

If the problem was a bleed down of fuel pressure overnight, would I need to replace the fuel pump?

Thanks,
Old 07-07-10, 01:44 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

If the fuel pressure is bleeding down, it could be the check valve inside the pump leaking, the fuel pressure regulator, or one (or more) injectors leaking. First check to see if it appears that the pressure is leaking down. Then you could try running some injector cleaner. After running some cleaner, there are other tests that can be ran, but it would require specialized tools that the average person would not have access to. With 180 k on the engine, one or more leaking injector, or a leaking check valve are both possible.
Old 07-07-10, 05:36 AM
bmike74
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. This morning I turned it to on twice for five seconds or so and it started right up.

I took it to the mechanic I have been working with. He believes it to be the pump. I asked him about how we could check to see if it is something else and he suggested I leave it over night so he can put the gauge on it in the morning. He also believes that it should only be replaced by an original Lexus pump as he doesn't trust something we could get at AutoZone.

Finally, the mechanic doesn't like using injector cleaner as he thinks it can throw up any debris sitting on the bottom of the tank to the injectors.

My question George_Jet is whether you think I should just try the injector cleaner, run through the tank and then if that doesn't help take it to him for an overnight? Also, if I choose that route based upon the symptoms I have said, do you think it would be safe to take it on a 200 mile road trip this weekend, without finally resolving the problem?

Oh, and one aside, the check engine light which has been flashing the o2 sensor and catalytic converter code for months went off after this morning's experiment.

Thank you very much.
Old 07-07-10, 04:15 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Well I do not agree with your mechanic, I feel injector cleaners are benificial to a car. I have used it many times, I am pressently working on a v12 jag. I have all the injectors out, and I am cleaning them out.

As I stated in the previous post, it could be several things, but leaving it overnight would only confirm what you have just confirmed yourself. It would not tell you what is leaking.

I believe the Check engine light is just a coincidence, and not related to this issue. Also this type of leakdown would not cause a problem with a weekend road trip.

Do you have a set of basic tools, such as sockets? If so I would suggest buying a used pump assembly from ebay and installing it yourself. It is simple to replace. Disconnect the battery, remove the rear seat bottom cushion. There is a small access panel on the drivers side of the car that pops off. You then have to remove 8 ~10 small bolts, disconnect the fuel line and electrical connector, and lift the whole thing out. The whole thing should take less than a hour. I purchased a used assembly with warrently of $50 delivered. That was two months ago and the girl who owns the car says that is is working well.
Old 07-07-10, 04:17 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Ps when you disconnect the fuel hose, there will be a small amount of gas spraying out. get some paper towwels, and be prepared for it. With the battery disconnected, there should be no danger of fire.
Old 06-09-15, 09:18 PM
birddog22
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem with my IS250 and it tripped the Check Engine light. Normally mine starts right up and doesn't miss a lick but if I don't drive it for a week or more it will miss on start-up until I give it a little gas and let it smooth out. The last time this happened I was in a hurry and didn't let the engine smooth out before putting it in gear and taking off. The engine missed for the two miles I drove it before turning around and going home. The check engine light came on and the car went into the limp-in-mode. I couldn't get over 50 mph. When I got home I disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes, reconnected it and started the car. The Check Engine light went out and the car runs fine now. Just have to remember to wait until the fuel pressure builds up and the engine smooths out before trying to drive it. Guess I had better start looking for a new fuel pump...121k.
Old 06-10-15, 05:51 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had starting issue before with my 97 ES300. After a can of fuel injector cleaner, problem went away.
Btw, there is a filter upstream of the fuel pump....debris will not get suck into the fuel pump or stuck in the injectors.