ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suggestions on where to put an extra aux power plug?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 08:06 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on where to put an extra aux power plug?

I need some help with this one. I have a 1993 ES300 and am getting frustrated by the factory design flaw with the cupholders and ashtray/power plug. As most know, you cannot use the cupholders and have the cig lighter drawer open at the same time. This makes it difficult to use my radar detector or cell phone charger. I purchased an aux cig lighter power plug and would like to know if anyone else has added another power plug and if so, where did you install it?

If anyone has any pics, it would be helpful.

I am thinking of using the blank where the heated seat switches would be as my ES did not come with that option.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-09, 07:08 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Really? No one else has this issue or gripe about their ES?

I am working on putting it where the seat heater switches would normally be. I will post pics when I am finished.
Old 03-05-09, 12:29 PM
cyco
Pole Position

Please do! I was reading another thread about this a few weeks ago (was it yours?) even tho I don't use my cig lighter there has been times where I was, 'I have a drink here, but I want to charge my ipod...'

The blanks where the stat heaters sounds like a solid idea, if I had the money I would look into the footwell of the passanger side maybe, close to the console so its out of kicking range, but easy to see and confortable to access. please post pictures, I'm excited to see how it goes!
Old 03-05-09, 07:24 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

I just finished installing my extra aux plug! It could look a little better, I shaved too much off of the blank...

Please excuse the pics, they were taken on my cell phone. Please let me know what you all think!
Attached Thumbnails Suggestions on where to put an extra aux power plug?-image_155.jpg  
Old 03-05-09, 08:44 PM
3HUNNED
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i actually added a 2nd aux outlet on the side of the center counsel right next to the ashtray/cup holder.
i spliced into the factory cig lighter so i can have 2 at the same time. as long as you splice into the existing wires you wont need a fusible link
Old 03-05-09, 09:14 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

That is exactly what I did. I spliced into the cig lighter wires and now have the option of 2 if I am not using my cupholders. I am now debating on adding one on the other side so that I have a total of 3. Not sure if the factory cig lighter fuse can handle 3 running at a time though...
Old 03-06-09, 07:09 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

If I wanted to add an additional power outlet to my wife's Camry which has a nearly identical console as your ES, I would add it inside the console box.

I would not attach the new power outlet to the front inside wall of the console box like on my 2000 LS400. I would just let the power outlet flop around on its power cord inside the console box and leave the power cord long enough so that the additional outlet could lay outside the console box with the console lid closed.

If I wanted more than one additional outlet, I would use a DC splitter like the kind you can buy at discount stores -- see attached photo. A DC splitter could plug into an additional power outlet inside the console as long as the the additional power outlet was not installed in the console box wall and was on a short 6"-12" power cord.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-09, 07:16 AM
tomstep2
Pole Position

I had thought about insided of the armrest/console box, I am in sales and use my console box too much and it is usually too full for that to be a feasible option for me. If I didn't use it very much, I would have definitely had put it there instead. The unused seat blank seemed to be a logical place that is convenient.
Old 03-06-09, 07:57 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tomstep2
I had thought about insided of the armrest/console box, I am in sales and use my console box too much and it is usually too full for that to be a feasible option for me. If I didn't use it very much, I would have definitely had put it there instead. The unused seat blank seemed to be a logical place that is convenient.
You are right in that the ES/Camry console box is small -- far smaller than in our 00 LS. But a power outlet on a cord would take up very little space in the console box. I'm talking about the kind of $5 DC outlet on a cord that normally plugs into a cig lighter -- it's tiny! You don't have room for one of these little things and six inches of power cord in your console?

I installed an additional power outlet in my 00 LS in a place that would probably work on an ES or other Toyota/Lexus cars. Again, it is a cheap power outlet on the end of a power cord and the outlet and its cord are stuffed behind the carpeting on the transmission tunnel in the front passenger footwell. I chopped off the cig lighter adapter and hardwired this power cord into the accessory circuit. Normally, my semi-permanently mounted portable GPS is plugged into it but, if I wanted, I could pull the outlet out from behind the carpet and plug something else into it including a DC splitter like the one in the picture I provided in the previous post.
Attached Thumbnails Suggestions on where to put an extra aux power plug?-dc-outlet.jpg  
Old 04-18-10, 09:09 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

where did you get the outlet>?
Old 04-20-10, 05:42 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by adreano17
where did you get the outlet>?
Target but other discount and auto parts stores sell them.