ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES330 & Avalon, no point to the ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 05:16 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES330 & Avalon, no point to the ES

Not to like keep the ES330 down in any kind of way, but whats the point of the ES now that the new Avalon is out? I mean that the Avalon is about the same size of the LS430, has more power than the ES, more room, better features, and probably alot more. I'm sure that the Avalon ultimately drives a lot like a Lexus ES330… only bigger and more powerful. The Avalon makes the Lexus ES330 wholly redundant. It’s more like Toyota one-upping Lexus.
So the Avalon drives at least as nicely as the Lexus ES330, has more room, is more powerful, gets better fuel mileage, and can be equipped just as lavishly. And yet the Lexus carries a $31,975 base price that’s more than any Avalon except the Limited? That makes no sense. Because the Avalon isn’t just a better car than the ES330, it’s a better Lexus.

I think that the Avalon will now be compared to the Acura TL, but i know im just thinkin' but i hope this new Avalon wont be a mistake and knock the ES's sales off.
Old 02-07-05, 05:19 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
Not to like keep the ES330 down in any kind of way, but whats the point of the ES now that the new Avalon is out? I mean that the Avalon is about the same size of the LS430, has more power than the ES, more room, better features, and probably alot more. I'm sure that the Avalon ultimately drives a lot like a Lexus ES330… only bigger and more powerful. The Avalon makes the Lexus ES330 wholly redundant. It’s more like Toyota one-upping Lexus.
So the Avalon drives at least as nicely as the Lexus ES330, has more room, is more powerful, gets better fuel mileage, and can be equipped just as lavishly. And yet the Lexus carries a $31,975 base price that’s more than any Avalon except the Limited? That makes no sense. Because the Avalon isn’t just a better car than the ES330, it’s a better Lexus.

I think that the Avalon will now be compared to the Acura TL, but i know im just thinkin' but i hope this new Avalon wont be a mistake and knock the ES's sales off.

isnt the new avalon coming in 06? i thought the es330 was going to be redesigned for 06 as well..
Old 02-07-05, 05:24 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

the avalon starts sales this month (february)
Old 02-07-05, 05:34 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might want to check your facts there...

Here's a list of incoming avalons to one dealer...

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4-door Sedan Desert Sand Mica w/ Ivory Leather Trim and the
following additional options: Dynamic Cruise Control, Voice Activated DVD System, Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control with Brake Assist. The Internet Sales price on this vehicle is $37,395

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4-door sedan Phantom Gray Pearl w/ Dark Leather Trim and the following additional options: Dynamic Cruise Control, Voice Activated DVD Navigation System, Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control and Brake Assist. The Internet Sales Price on this vehicle is $37,230.

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4-door sedan Blue Mirage Metallic w/ Ivory Leather Trim and the following additional options: JBL Synthesis AM/FM/Cassette/6-Disc in dash CD Changer w/ 12 speakers (360 watts), Vehicle Stability Control, with Traction Control, and Brake Assist, and heated front seats. The Internet Sales Price on this vehicle is $33,235.

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring Edition 4-door sedan Cassis Red Pearl w/ Dark Charcoal Leather Trim and the following additional options: Anti-Theft System, Power Moonroof with Sliding Sunshade, AM/FM/Cassette/ 6-Disc in dash CD Changer, Touring Package. The Internet Sales Price on this vehicle is $30,684

2005 Toyota Avalon XL 4-door sedan Silver Pine Mica w/ Beige Cloth Interior and the following additional options: Anti-Theft System, Power Moonroof w/ Sliding Sunshade, AM/FM/Cassette/6-disc in dash CD Changer, and Rear Spoiler. The Internet Sales Price on this vehicle is $28,783.
Incoming Avalon’s to Chantilly
2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4-door sedan Black w/ Ivory Leather Trim and the following additional options: Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Voice Activated Navigation System, Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control with Brake Assist. The MSRP on this vehicle is $37,230.

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4-door sedan Phantom Gray Pearl w/ Ivory Leather Trim and the following additional options: Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Voice Activated Navigation System, Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control with Brake Assist and Wheel Locks. The MSRP on this vehicle is $37,289.

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4-door sedan Titanium Metallic w/ Stone Leather Trim and the following options: JBL Synthesis AM/FM/Cassette/6-disc in dash CD Changer w/ 12 speakers (360 watts), Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control with Brake Assist and Heated Front Seats, and Wheel Locks. The Internet Sales Price on this vehicle is $33,129.

$31,975 for a base ES sounds better to me.
Old 02-07-05, 05:41 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

nah the avalon starts sales this month, i dont think the es will be redesigned, maybe some upgrades for 06, but major redesign isnt dure till 07' i think
Old 02-07-05, 05:45 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

this is what im saying, 32, 725 or w/e for the ES as a base price, ES loaded with every option known will top it out to about 37k, u can get a limited avalon for that same price, plus a bigger interior room (car all together) better gas milage, performance, features, just what im saying is that i dont know about all yall, i think that toyota just made a car, better than a Lexus,
Old 02-07-05, 05:57 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Arrow

This could be wrong, but it's the way I see it anyway...my 2 cents if you like. To be honest, I don't really like the fact that many consider Toyota and Lexus to be the "same" if you like. Yes, Lexus is a Toyota product, but it's a different brand. Just like what Lincoln-Mercury, Aston Martin, Land Rover, Mazda, etc. are to Ford. So as far as I'm concerned, I think it's good to have something in the Lexus range for every one. Don't think it would be valid to drop the ES just becuase the Avalon is a "better" vehicle. They maybe simillar, but compete in different classes.
Old 02-07-05, 06:27 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with FALCONLS. although Lexus is a Toyota product, the "Lexus" expirience is totally diffrent. The feel, the ownership.......... heck, even the clientele is diffrent.

I spent 4 years working for Toyota, and while they might be stepping up on there flagship sedan, Lexus is still uncomprable.
Old 02-08-05, 12:12 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by AJL0365

Reserve judgement untill you have had the chance to drive both vehicles.......I also have the all new Avalon on my 'short list' but I also know that the ES is being re-designed for the 2007 model year as well so no one can't "give up" on one of the best selling vehicles in the Lexus stable.
Old 02-08-05, 12:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Two different vehicles, two different target demographics.
Old 02-08-05, 05:55 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flipside909
You hit the nail in the head!
Old 02-09-05, 09:31 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by flipside909
I agree with that too.
Old 02-09-05, 10:09 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if the Avalon is plagued with the same hesitating shifting as the cars in the Lexus stable???
Old 02-10-05, 01:31 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys... you beat me to it... It is INCREDIBLE how much buzz (and some anger) this car is making in the Luxury car world. I spend most of my time over on the Cadillac forum from my old days there even though I currently own an LS. Let me tell you, they are talking about it over there, I posted a great deal of info on it in the LS forum here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150655

To be totally honest, I was going to skip the ES forum altogether, because this car doesnt really just go up against the ES ladies and gentlemen, this car practically OUT features the LS(!) in MANY ways except for not having a V8, and even THEN, its got a 280hp V6, VS my LS's 290hp V8. Im sorry but you cant fully use the "Lexus ownership experience" to knock this Avalon. Personally, I think Toyota WAY overdid this car and is going to hurt the entire luxury industry when buyers from other brands, including their own Lexus, are going to flock to buy what is really a cheap steal.

For less than 40 grand you get:

-Terrific Navigation system
-360W JBL Synthesis audio system that makes my Mark Lev sound a little humble
-Xenon/HID Lights (sorely lacking in Toyota's)
-Heated and COOLED seats (!)
-Dynamic Laser Cruise control
-SMARTKEY SYSTEM
-Interior and materials that rival our Lexii
-280hp V6 with Tiptronic tranny
-MORE SPACE than the ES
-Optitron Gauges (really Toyota... WTF?)

etc etc...

I am really not happy about this... as a Lexus/Cadillac/BMW owner at any given time, I dont appreciate it when a company seemingly knocks down the image of MY car by flooding their latest pedestrian creation with every creature comfort on my car, PLUS more that I cant even get! Yes the industry and advances and features filter down, I understand this... but Toyota seemingly threw EVERY engineering feat they possibly could at this Avalon... and it truly IS a steal if you look very carefully. You cant get a FULLY loaded Ford Five Hundred or Mercury Montego for much less.

Heres an interesting thing to chew on... Except for SH-AWD, the new Acura RL doesnt really give you much more, doesnt really LOOK any better, and costs 13000.00 more with the same options.

One thing I can guarantee you... Someone is either going to get fired, or seriously promoted over this car.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 02-10-05 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 01:51 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I fully agree but people will still buy the Lexus ES 330.
No matter how much people try to go around the issue the Avalon is a better car than the es330.
At this very moment.
What Two different vehicles, two different target demographics are you talking about? Please explain
I see no big different between the two cars other than that the Avalon offer more.

Quick Reply: ES330 & Avalon, no point to the ES