ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Buying a 2001 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 08:00 PM
nicksan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a 2001 ES300

Hi folks,

I am selling my 1999 Acura 3.2TL and buying a 2001 ES300.
I found one for $20k. Has 25k miles on it.

I was a little bit concerned about the engine sludge issue.
How real is the problem. I usually maintain my car...oil change, etc...

Also, what kind of things I should be looking out for?

Carfax turns out clean record.

Thanks!
Nick N.
Old 07-23-04, 10:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: Buying a 2001 ES300

Originally posted by nicksan

I was a little bit concerned about the engine sludge issue.
How real is the problem. I usually maintain my car...oil change, etc...

Also, what kind of things I should be looking out for?

Thanks!
Nick N.
Engine sludge in the 1MZ-FE shouldn't be an issue granted the original owner of the car did their oil changes on a regular basis. If an engine is sludged, you will notice a heavy vapor from the exhaust when you first start up the engine cold. The little water vapor that comes out is perfectly normal. Now if the smoking continues...that's a good sign the engine is sludged. Other than that, it's nearly impossible to just tell if an engine is sludged or not. Symptoms that lead to are usually a tell tale sign.
Old 07-24-04, 01:14 AM
LexFather

Engine sludge issue is really only an issue for older Toyotas and only people who didn't do maintenance or change the oil

Welcome to CLublexus.
Old 07-25-04, 03:58 PM
nicksan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I went to several Lexus dealers and could not resist buying one.
I bought a 2001 White with Beige interior.

22k Miles.
1 Private owner.
Clean Carfax.
Lexus Chrome Wheel option installed. Wood steering wheel. Leather interior. Seated heats, etc.
Overall in excellent condition inside and out.

Best I could get them to do was $24k with Certified Pre-owned which comes with 3year/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Originally listed for $26500, which I knew was jacked up.

Being that this is a NY car, it had some minor scratches on it, most prominent on the bumpers, and 1 very tiny ding in the front quarter panel. They said before I get the car they will touch up everything and would repaint the front and rear bumper, buff out any hair line scratches for me...

The strange thing was the Certified thing...they originally had it listed for $26500. That was too high. They gave me a story about it being a certified pre-owned car.(CPO) Yeah, yeah...then they said they can take away the CPO and sell it for $23k. The manage was called in and we agreed on $24k. But how do they "take away" the CPO? You mean to say that although they list it as CPO, they actually do all the checks later? (if at all?) It sems like CPO status is something they can put on or take away at will. That seemed a little strange to me to say the least. The guy said if I buy it without the CPO, the car would still go through inspection, but not as intensive as CPO standards. YEAH RIGHT...

BTW, the car doesn't show up as one of the CPO cars at Lexus.com...I should call Lexus up and see what's up with that. Could it be that it was recently certified so they jacked up the price and the web-site didn't get updated with that info?

But I really wanted was a reduction in price and the 3year 100k warranty from Lexus so...I guess $24k was fair. Plus being that the car was a CPO, and I have tier 1 credit, I qualified for a 3.9% financing instead of the 5.05% I already had with another lender.

It's a fishy business these dealers got going...

But it seemed like a nice deal, the pearl white color is beautiful, and it drove great so...

This is great.
Yes I'm paying more, but I'm also going from a Acura with 75k miles to a Lexus with 22k miles.

You think I got a good deal?