CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Is this how I trickle charge the 12V battery, through the fuse box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 02:50 PM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Is this how I trickle charge the 12V battery, through the fuse box?

I know the owner's manual has a couple of pages that show how I can access the 12V battery at the back of the vehicle. I was just going to look it up on YT for visual help but chanced upon this:

Is this a way to trickle charge the 12V battery with my Battery Tender Jr. or should I just put the positive and negative clamps directly on the 12V battery terminals?

The video is more straightforward but I don't want to ruin a perfectly fine battery if that is a way to jump start the 12V battery but not to trickle charge it.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-20, 04:17 PM
internalau
Rookie

It seems to work with the battery tender showing a solid red light. I just connected the red clamp to positive terminal, the black clamp to a metal portion likely the engine and then plugged in the trickle charger.

BT junior does say it's compatible with AGM batteries too.
Old 03-24-20, 08:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,573 Posts

i don't see why not. 12V is 12V. do you let your car sit for months or something
The following users liked this post:
internalau (03-25-20)
Old 03-25-20, 02:25 AM
internalau
Rookie

It worked. The following day the Battery Tender Jr. was showing a solid green light.

I also did it for our 16 RAV4H the next day and it too worked.

No, we don't but with the current social distancing, work from home directives, we have been using our vehicles much less.

Hmmm, you are right in that I may not have to worry about sulfation:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm

While regular lead acid batteries need a topping charge every six months to prevent the buildup of sulfation, AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation and can sit in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. The battery stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge.

Old 04-23-20, 08:43 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by internalau
It worked. The following day the Battery Tender Jr. was showing a solid green light.

I also did it for our 16 RAV4H the next day and it too worked.

No, we don't but with the current social distancing, work from home directives, we have been using our vehicles much less.

Hmmm, you are right in that I may not have to worry about sulfation:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm

While regular lead acid batteries need a topping charge every six months to prevent the buildup of sulfation, AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation and can sit in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. The battery stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge.

Correct, I did this when I had the CT, as well as when I had my LS, and now I do it with the lady's IS (her shopped closed temp(?) during this whole thing) - also with the Battery Tender Junior.
We have all of our vehicles set up to be available for quick plug-in/disconnect as we have our bikes also set up the same way. Since I am the one working right now as one of the "essentials", her car just sits and sits, we haven't taken it out other than when we did some exhaust work a few weeks back. My car (UX) is used mainly for groceries and the overhaul of things as it's better on fuel as it is.

It extends the life of our batteries by a little bit and it's nice to just have. Heck, I literally just replaced the original OEM battery on my 08 600rr, it ran until last week without issue. Having the tender contributed to some of this I am sure of it.
internalau (04-24-20)
Old 08-03-22, 03:35 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 753 Likes on 469 Posts

Figured I'd post this as I couldn't find anything until I did a ton of searching of pictures on google.

On the front fuse box under the hood what is circled in red, if you remove that cover you will see a 12v post terminal screw. It's removed by pushing out on two of the little tabs and then you pull that piece straight up and kinda turn it. Then you should be able to screw your terminal on there and put back that piece. I would not leave it exposed, but that's me. You can attach the hardwired battery tender cable to that, then the other end would go to the chassis ground point. I plan on doing the rx350 bi-xenon projector retrofit and was worried that I couldn't see or find a 12v source under the hood to directly attach the wiring harness for everything. But very happy to find this so everything should be a go!

Hope this helps out anyone that comes across it.

-Nigel
TobiasSing (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 06:50 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice, thanks for sharing that! I didn't know that. One of the reasons I went with LEDs was to avoid the need for a wire harness because I didn't know where it would go (I was thinking it would have to go to the battery in the back). That's much easier.