CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT200h engine photo !

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 01:51 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
A bit late but... CTh will weight as much as Camry... do you consider Camry an death trap?

Another thing to note - while crashing into big SUVs is going against small cars (in this case Yaris is considerably smaller car than CTh or A3), crashing against any kind of non movable barrier is going to be much worse in large SUV. You are basically crashing into yourself. In that case, you are actually safer in well designed small car.
Hmmm, where did you get the weight of the CT?

CT is smaller than my Prius. So, you're saying that it weighs 3200-3500 lbs?! Wow, that is some mass! My Prius weighs about 3000-3100 lbs. The CT is smaller in size than a Prius, right? And given that the CT200h is also LOWER TO THE GROUND, i think that the CT200h is at a disadvantage in a crash against a bigger/heavier vehicle.

Actually, as i wrote earlier, my argument assumes that the CT200h is lighter in weight than my Prius...since someone earlier said that the CT200h will be the lightest Lexus ever! Actually, i still think that my Prius is a bit too light for Texas highways.

Not sure about you, but i see more car-to-car crashes than i do see a car hitting a brick wall on the highway. I could be wrong.

But, yeah, if the CT200h weighs in excess of 3200 lbs, then i agree that it is a decent-good car in a typical crash. But that only means that the "claimed" handling aspect of the car is overhyped for such a small car!! And if the Prius gets 10 seconds 0-60, then what the hell is the CT200 at 3200-3400 lbs gonna get?????? 11 seconds?

Honestly, i think that you got your facts wrong. Lexus claims that this CT200h goes from 0-60 around 9 seconds or better. It has the same powertrain as my Prius, down to the Power mode. For it to go FASTER, it must weigh less. No way around it. And supposedly, it gets the same mileage as my Prius...there is NO WAY it can achieve that at 3200-3500 lbs!!!!

Last edited by tigmd99; 09-05-10 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-05-10, 02:04 PM
tigmd99
Racer

With some googling, i found this: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...s-ct-200h.html

"This, of course, begged the question of what CT 200h's curb weight will be. After an initial evasive "the same as a competitor's Diesel model" reply, Lexus officials later admitted to "a bit more than 1.4 tons". This requires some clarification. That would be 1.4 metric tons, with a metric ton equalling 1000 kilograms, or 2205 lbs. Thus, we're talking 2205 x 1.4, or 3087 lbs. With "a bit more" fudging, call it roughly 3100 lbs. Kanehara then repeats the revelation by Noah Joseph of Autoblog that CT 200h will have a drag coefficient of 0.28."

So, if the above is right, then the CT200h is about the same weight as my Prius. This is why it can match the Prius fuel economy. Now, i wonder how the acceleration gonna be? Hmmm, under 9 seconds? I don't know.

As a bias observer, my Prius is more aerodynamic and has a sportier lock-to-lock ratio (2.5 vs. 2.6). Yeah, i know, my prius can't hold a handle in handling to the CT200h.
Old 09-05-10, 02:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Hmmm, where did you get the weight of the CT?

CT is smaller than my Prius. So, you're saying that it weighs 3200-3500 lbs?! Wow, that is some mass! My Prius weighs about 3000-3100 lbs. The CT is smaller in size than a Prius, right? And given that the CT200h is also LOWER TO THE GROUND, i think that the CT200h is at a disadvantage in a crash against a bigger/heavier vehicle.

Actually, as i wrote earlier, my argument assumes that the CT200h is lighter in weight than my Prius...since someone earlier said that the CT200h will be the lightest Lexus ever! Actually, i still think that my Prius is a bit too light for Texas highways.

Not sure about you, but i see more car-to-car crashes than i do see a car hitting a brick wall on the highway. I could be wrong.

But, yeah, if the CT200h weighs in excess of 3200 lbs, then i agree that it is a decent-good car in a typical crash. But that only means that the "claimed" handling aspect of the car is overhyped for such a small car!! And if the Prius gets 10 seconds 0-60, then what the hell is the CT200 at 3200-3400 lbs gonna get?????? 11 seconds?

Honestly, i think that you got your facts wrong. Lexus claims that this CT200h goes from 0-60 around 9 seconds or better. It has the same powertrain as my Prius, down to the Power mode. For it to go FASTER, it must weigh less. No way around it. And supposedly, it gets the same mileage as my Prius...there is NO WAY it can achieve that at 3200-3500 lbs!!!!
you need to calm down and take some medications. CT200h is not going to be lighter than Prius with its cheap and light plastics everywhere. Size wise, it is based on same sized platform, so no, there isnt going to be some huge difference in weight or size (except for overhangs).

Yaris that you took IHS study from is significantly smaller and lighter vehicle than CTh and Prius.

If you ever consider getting an CTh, I suggest you put some bags of sand in the back so you would feel better .

I am not sure what are you complaining about anymore... you dont want it to be light, because it is going to be unsafe if it loses 50lbs compared to Prius, but you dont want to it be heavy, because then it is going to be 2% less efficient than Prius. Which one is it?

Because top end CTh with big wheels, aero pack, navi, leather and everything you can imagine will probably be within 1%-3% of base Camry weight, so please stop your nonsense. Top end Prius is within 80lb from Camry, and by your calculations, Prius with 2 people in it is immeasurably safer vehicle than Camry.
Old 09-05-10, 02:28 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf
you need to calm down and take some medications. CT200h is not going to be lighter than Prius with its cheap and light plastics everywhere. Size wise, it is based on same sized platform, so no, there isnt going to be some huge difference in weight or size (except for overhangs).

Yaris that you took IHS study from is significantly smaller and lighter vehicle than CTh and Prius.
CT200h is based on a whole different platform. It is 5 inches shorter. It is 1 inch or so wider, but lower to the ground than my Prius. Hey, i am not making up the weight of the CT200h...see for yourself above.

The point of the IIHS link was to show that size and weight matters. My point was NOT about Yaris vs. Camry. Somehow, you don't seem to understand that.

Yeah, go ahead and put sandbags in your CT200h and ram against a SUV...i much rather be in the SUV. And read again, i never said that i was completely happy with the prius curb weight either.

What i am trying to say is that there is a compromise to everything. Lexus making it light on its feet for handling and efficiency purposes may make it more vulnerable in a crash vs. being in a heavier Lexus sedan. Why is that so hard to understand? And for everyone who praises the CT200h for being featherweight, i just want to point out the potential negative aspect of being such.

In other words, it is very tough (impossible?) to achieve great handling and fuel economy, while providing safety in a crash against a bigger object, esp. when you're on the low end of the food chain (in regards to weight and size)!

Last edited by tigmd99; 09-06-10 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-07-10, 09:03 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CT200h will be slowish, for sure, the only question here really is will the handling feel, if not numbers, live up to the sporty and attractive (imo) wrapper that the L-Finesse design team has bestowed upon it. Heretofore, Toyota has let Ford (Fusion), Nissan (Altima) and Honda (CR-Z) carry the flag for hybrid sportiness. This vehicle is the opportunity to show that some of that sport/hybrid turf belongs to the hybrid sales leader.

Last edited by CRB; 09-07-10 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-11-10, 08:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CRB
The CT200h will be slowish, for sure, the only question here really is will the handling feel, if not numbers, live up to the sporty and attractive (imo) wrapper that the L-Finesse design team has bestowed upon it. Heretofore, Toyota has let Ford (Fusion), Nissan (Altima) and Honda (CR-Z) carry the flag for hybrid sportiness. This vehicle is the opportunity to show that some of that sport/hybrid turf belongs to the hybrid sales leader.
Fusion nor Altima is known for hybrid sportiness. Hell the Altima can only be bought in 8 states. CR Z is an interesting take but reviews have been mixed.

Want the sportiest hybrid, look here

Old 09-13-10, 04:41 AM
phoebus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLRi-EH-0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k23wBcpTQlg