Trading in 2016 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 12:05 AM
JeiTeOo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in 2016 WRX

Hi people of CL!

Was wondering if I could get some insight from current CT200 owners.

Due to my job relocating me, my new commute is now ~90 miles a day. I currently have a 2016 WRX, and am considering trading this in for a '17 CT200 F sport. I am currently averaging 20mpg in my commute right now (which is getting real annoying filling up every week)
I've been looking at more of a luxury cruiser that's still great on gas. Previously owning a 2004 GS430 as well as a 2008 GS460 want to come back to Lexus. I had my fair share of fun in the subie, but it's lost its attraction to me, even after going through a hand full of mods. I realized I just need something to cruise in and will get a toy car for the weekends.

So here's my questions -

I understand that the CT200 has the Prius engine, (I've never driven a Prius before) is it dangerously slow when accelerating on a freeway or for a quick lane merge?

Has anyone that previously owned a WRX replaced it with a CT200?

How's the aftermarket support for these vehicles? (mainly handling / aesthetics since I won't be tracking this lol)

What's the average mpg you're getting on your daily commute (mix of city traffic / highway)

Thanks in advance, and feel free to include any more information that will help me in my decision.

-J
Old 10-09-16, 12:50 AM
xCaldazar
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was someone else that switched from a WRX or STI to a CT200h on either this forum or the dedicated CT forum. I am too lazy to search for it right now.

The car is slow merging. If you have any uphill short on ramps you may have to drive on the shoulder before you get to 65+ mph. I deal with this for a nearby onramp. In the CT's defense I see many other drivers with faster cars do the same, because they don't realize how short the onramp is. It isn't much of an issue anymore as I push the car's limits now because I know when I really need to stop on it. Every now and then I want to get over a lane and I have to wait a bit before there is an opening I can get into without causing a slowdown.

There isn't much aftermarket that I have seen. There is the F-sport shocks + springs, that don't actually come with the F-sport package, and a sway bar. One person also found a big brake kit, there is a recent thread about the install.

I get around 38mpg. This is pretty terrible compared to what I could get and here is why: I leave in the morning when it is cold out and my car runs the engine just to warm up. I drive on primarily 45-55mph roads which is some of the least ideal for the CT, as under 45 you can coast in a battery only mode. Around 65+ it gets into a good range again for mpg. Additionally I have to stop at the top and bottom of steep hills on my commute. This means I waste a lot of energy getting up the hill and then come to a quick stop that doesn't give the battery time to charge, slow stops charge the battery better. Then with the downhill I have to really lay on the brakes, again wasting the energy. Lastly, my commute is pretty short, about 10 minutes so the engine just spent a large chunk of the time warming up burning gas.

When I am going out of town (which is longer drives and more ideal conditions) I get around 44mpg.
Old 10-09-16, 04:19 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a gen 4 Prius as a beta test car for a week. I do work for a company that needs to have vehicle wiring validated. I drove 500+ miles on $20. I was sold on the mileage. But the Prius comes with that reputation for me, what do I hate more? Prius drivers or mini van drivers. That's why I bought a CT, plus it looks better, built better and dash is nicer.

I get 38mpg now since I put my 17" enkie rpf1 on. Only 500 miles on them, before i only squeezed out 36 after 12000 miles.

My car is configured with 77sq feet of high end sound dampening 50# worth and all the other stuff listed in my signature.

I still have in my driveway my other cars 01 c70 volvo convertible with big turbo, big intercooler, big wheels, big stereo, big big mods..... Drove that 200 miles since i got my CT. I prefer to drive my CT 250 miles than my convertible for 50. It's much more comfortable, smooth, and it takes regular fuel.

It's not for everyone. I did have to make it "mine" before i loved it. Each time at the pump, it's $18 bucks vs $60, volvo gets 10-12mpg with 18 gallon tank. Many guys are saying they get 40 plus, I never seen it personally on my car.

See if you can get it for a weekend. It takes some getting used to, once you do you may not like anything else. I looked hard at a Cmax, it has more power(practically everything does lol) but Ford reliability. Price was close to the Lexus. No radio replacement options like the Lexus, but you see from my signature it can be done. Ford can't due to how integrated the horrible my sync system.

Mods, there are wheels and suspension. No go fast bits as far as I know. Plenty to make it go slower though lol
Old 10-09-16, 07:37 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 226 Likes on 125 Posts

I've never had a problem merging or passing in my CT. While it is a bit slower than most cars, just put it in Sport mode and floor it (yes, you'll be flooring it a lot), and it will get there in a decent amount of time. Test this on a test drive.

Aftermarket for the CT is relatively small. Most of the stuff seems to be JDM, but Lexus does sell lowering springs and an anti-roll bar kit (both are listed at Lexus.com as accessories).

Your mileage will vary, really. The CT is very sensitive to all the usual variables. Some cars get roughly the same MPG at 60, 65, 70, 75, but the CT will see nearly 1 MPG difference per 1 MPH increments, at least in my testing. I drive a few hundred miles a day and cruise at 60 MPH, 75% highway, and get anywhere from 48 to 52 MPG every day, depending on weather and traffic.

While the CT isn't quick, it's really solid on handling. The suspension is typical Lexus sporty, stiff but not uncomfortable, even on the roughest pavement. Probably why Lexus doesn't seem to offer dampening accessories, just springs and sway bars for lowering and minimizing body roll, which the CT has a little bit of. Don't forget that the CT comes with low rolling resistance tires for fuel economy, which means less grip (they're also 215s), so grippier tires will make a huge difference, but you'll lose some MPG.

Sport mode boosts the electric motors to its maximum, 650 volts, instead of the max 500 in the other modes. It also sharpens throttle response and stiffens the steering. It should help your CT feel like a sports car if you enjoy that. The steering in general is really good and precise (and the steering wheel itself is really good). I have a 2014 Mustang GT with a lot of handling mods, as well as a 2016 Miata GT, and my Lexus is the most confidence-inspiring of all 3 to push hard.
Old 10-09-16, 07:41 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 226 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by xCaldazar
Then with the downhill I have to really lay on the brakes, again wasting the energy.
Have you tried using the engine braking mode? (moving your shifter to select B instead of D) That's what it's meant for, downhill cruising where you may lay on the brakes for a long time.
Old 10-10-16, 12:34 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I just got done with 65+ mph Outskirts of Los Angeles driving with lots of traffic, but fast moving not stop and go since it is late at night. I did a 100 mile drive mostly flat going from just north of SD to LA around 73 degree temperature. On regular gas. I got around 38 mpg wit SPORT MOD.

As far as powe........ just put in SPORT mod and floor it!!! This is how you do it with the CVT transmission which will just rev all the way to redline and stay there as long as you got it floored. The CT200H will scoot along at a pretty good clip.

I find it somewhat problematic going up hill. For example, I-5 the Grapevine just north of Los Angeles. I think it's a 6% grade up and then down. Going up will require your foot on the gas pretty much floored. Going downhill , I just put it in "B".

Also merging into Freeway from standing still can be a problem sometimes.. Just got to be aware and just floor it in SPORT mode.

It's not a RCF, but still good around city and easy to park.

Originally Posted by Raidin
I've never had a problem merging or passing in my CT. While it is a bit slower than most cars, just put it in Sport mode and floor it (yes, you'll be flooring it a lot), and it will get there in a decent amount of time. Test this on a test drive.

Aftermarket for the CT is relatively small. Most of the stuff seems to be JDM, but Lexus does sell lowering springs and an anti-roll bar kit (both are listed at Lexus.com as accessories).

Your mileage will vary, really. The CT is very sensitive to all the usual variables. Some cars get roughly the same MPG at 60, 65, 70, 75, but the CT will see nearly 1 MPG difference per 1 MPH increments, at least in my testing. I drive a few hundred miles a day and cruise at 60 MPH, 75% highway, and get anywhere from 48 to 52 MPG every day, depending on weather and traffic.

While the CT isn't quick, it's really solid on handling. The suspension is typical Lexus sporty, stiff but not uncomfortable, even on the roughest pavement. Probably why Lexus doesn't seem to offer dampening accessories, just springs and sway bars for lowering and minimizing body roll, which the CT has a little bit of. Don't forget that the CT comes with low rolling resistance tires for fuel economy, which means less grip (they're also 215s), so grippier tires will make a huge difference, but you'll lose some MPG.

Sport mode boosts the electric motors to its maximum, 650 volts, instead of the max 500 in the other modes. It also sharpens throttle response and stiffens the steering. It should help your CT feel like a sports car if you enjoy that. The steering in general is really good and precise (and the steering wheel itself is really good). I have a 2014 Mustang GT with a lot of handling mods, as well as a 2016 Miata GT, and my Lexus is the most confidence-inspiring of all 3 to push hard.
Old 10-10-16, 07:18 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is slow...get an extended test drive please, specially if you have any sustained inclines on your commute , that's where i feel it's under powered (sports mode does help).
However knowing what you are getting into will help, when my ct200h F sport was new i did move it a lot between the modes however now all i do is try to get the most mpg possible, it's like a game for me to see whats the best MPG i can get.

It helps if you have another car for when you need to drive fast, i would not want the CT as my only car, also the f sport handles great.
Old 10-10-16, 07:53 AM
lcneed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going from a 2016 WRX to a CT 200H you will feel the difference.. greatly. When I first switched from my Mini Cooper to the CT, it is like day and night. There is a 180 degree curve to enter the freeway from my house, I used to be able to get to 65 mph when I merge. Now it is more like 45 mph and I am in full time sport mode. But once I got used to it.. every other car I drove is just too fast. The CT is slightly slower than a Prius by the way.

I am in California too. So Cal. I drive about 130 miles a day, and even if you only drive 90 miles a day you will still need to gas up every week. I get about 45 mpg but the car only hold about 11.8 gal and gas light will come on at about 8.5 gal used.
Old 10-10-16, 01:02 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got done with an 800-mile trip to LA and back (I'm in NorCal) with the CT and hauling a car load of server/network/UPS gear on the way back. It made it without any drama, but I couldn't get past 80mph on the grapevine, even though I was floored the entire time. MPG was below 40, but it was a blast to drive and it made my transition to driving my other car an interesting experience. My top speed was around 110 (on GPS) with an average cruising speed of 80+, and it was funny to still be getting 30+ MPG doing it.
Old 10-10-16, 06:45 PM
SFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Hills really kill the MPG... as does the right foot. Every time I go into town I go down 2.7 mile incline of over 700 feet elevation and then go up over it on the way home. My MPG on the 15 mile trip is usually in the low 30s. You can never save more gas going downhill than you use going uphill on the same route. But if I take a couple hundred mile trip on the relatively level SoCal freeways I can average 48 to 53 MPG, even in traffic. I'm usually in Sport mode because I prefer the responsiveness and usually average 40 to 43MPG on an entire tank. I do wish the tank was a bit larger to extend the range. Seems a shame to stop for gas and only put 8 or 9 gallons in the tank.

On speed, my other car is quite a bit faster (a Porsche) so yes the CT feels slow, but most of the sluggishness is from 40 MPH and up. Around town or on twisty, curvy roads, the little Lexus feels quick and agile. Find a dealer and take a test drive. That is the only way you will know because a lot depends on what you are used to and how you use for right foot.
Old 10-12-16, 12:17 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2, The CT200H on the Grapevine I-5 in SoCal to/from Central CA can be a challenge. Just be aware especially if you want to pass and over take semi trucks bc at times on the steep up inclines you are not that much faster than the big semi's.

Even with the above limitations, the CT200H is still fun to drive around especially with its tight suspension. The high mpg is a plus. AND THE CT200H TAKES REGULAR GAS!!!

Originally Posted by edgalang
Just got done with an 800-mile trip to LA and back (I'm in NorCal) with the CT and hauling a car load of server/network/UPS gear on the way back. It made it without any drama, but I couldn't get past 80mph on the grapevine, even though I was floored the entire time. MPG was below 40, but it was a blast to drive and it made my transition to driving my other car an interesting experience. My top speed was around 110 (on GPS) with an average cruising speed of 80+, and it was funny to still be getting 30+ MPG doing it.
Old 10-14-16, 11:18 AM
xCaldazar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raidin
Have you tried using the engine braking mode? (moving your shifter to select B instead of D) That's what it's meant for, downhill cruising where you may lay on the brakes for a long time.
I have played around with the B mode, and I am not talking about cruising downhill. As I mentioned the CT wants you to cruise downhill, having to stop is not good. Also the B mode doesn't charge the battery as well. I think you misunderstood that I have to stop quickly.

In my scenario, I have two hills on my way to work. Both with a 55 mph speed limit so people are doing 60+.

The first I need to turn right, and it is sloped incorrectly. Like a banked turn, but the wrong direction. It always looks like trucks are going to flip over on it, and people regularly skid out of their lane when they aren't familiar with the turn. Additionally the sprinklers on the corner are always leaking into that turn because I am up early. So I have to go from 60 down to 10 VERY quickly.

The second again is 55 mph and I have to make a left turn shortly after the peak of the hill. The hill requires flooring it to keep up with traffic, then coming to a quick stop for a short left turn lane. Many semi's can't get up to speed on that hill.

I swear everyone else must live in a place like Florida if they don't run into these issues with hills on side streets killing your mpg. Or maybe their turn lanes are set up with a reasonable length for the speed limit.