CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

2012 Ct200h F-Sport Special Edition - Leaking shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 01:48 PM
LKR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Ct200h F-Sport Special Edition - Leaking shocks

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone has had their front/rear shocks/struts replaced yet, when (miles when replaced) and how much did you guys spend? Should I get it done at the stealership or a reputable independent auto body or even Toyota?

I'm currently approaching 80k miles and the last time I was in for a oil change at around 70k, the service rep says all four shocks were seeping (leaking). He estimated it to be about $1,600 (parts+labor) before discounts. I was told by a fellow forum member each shock/strut costs about 170 each at the dealer and any independent shop install it for way cheaper than the stealership. Any thoughts on what is the part number I need to purchase and does it matter that I have the blue lowering springs that it came with as part of the Special edition variant.

I am in the Bay Area. Thanks for all you help in advance!
Old 01-23-16, 04:26 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That's sounds unlikely -- how is the car riding?

One maybe -- but all 4 at 80k! ... don't pay to have this done without a second opinion. And .. don't take it in saying .. I think my shocks are leaking and need to be replaced.

Old time shocks leaked ... modern one can also -- but do so differently and normally if they are leaking ... you can feel it as they don't work.
Old 01-27-16, 07:15 AM
lcneed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At my 110,000 miles service, either the front or rear one was leaking. I have extended warranty to 120k, so they replaced it free of charge. I have a 2012 CT also.
Old 01-27-16, 12:00 PM
Negative1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed a little leak on my fronts which looks just like residue. I'll probably inspect all of mine and see if any/all others are the same.
Old 01-28-16, 08:44 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,197 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I used to have the same vehicle but traded it for the HS. A small leak can be present for a long time and not affect shock performance. It depends how much it is leaking. A little dark damp area around the lower shock body is not cause to run out and spend money. It could continue that way for months or years. If it drives okay, take your time to buy the struts/shocks at a discount from one of the online discount parts guys such as http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/
You can have any reputable local shop install them and do the alignment afterward. There is nothing special about the CT suspension, millions of vehicles have similar struts etc.
If you have the lowering springs be sure to check if you have a different strut/shock than the cars with the normal suspension. The parts listing will identify if there are options.

Last edited by Clutchless; 01-28-16 at 08:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
highender (08-31-23)
Old 08-31-23, 05:50 PM
highender
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello . Today I brrought my Ct200h to have the tires rotated at a local tire center. They refused to rotate them, saying that the rear shocks are bad, leaking, and causing the tires to scallop ?!

The car is a 2017 , with 89,000 miles. It rides fine. Doesnt shake or rattle or anything. We dont race, and hardly go over big bumps. The tires were placed on the car last year, 2022. The service guy said the treads on the tires are fine ( i think they look close to new ....deep treads ). But he said there is uneven wear, caused by the shocks. I dont feel anything, and feel like i brought it in for free tire rotation, and they may be upselling. What or how long do CT200h shocks last ?
Old 08-31-23, 06:40 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The whole point of a tire rotation is to account for small inconsistencies in the way each corner of the car operates. It's not supposed to be perfect, or there would be no point of rotating the tires. The tire shop won't even do the free thing they are supposed to do? I certainly wouldn't pay them to do anything! I'd just rotate the tires myself.
highender (08-31-23)
Old 10-02-23, 12:44 PM
slowct
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TobiasSing
The whole point of a tire rotation is to account for small inconsistencies in the way each corner of the car operates. It's not supposed to be perfect, or there would be no point of rotating the tires. The tire shop won't even do the free thing they are supposed to do? I certainly wouldn't pay them to do anything! I'd just rotate the tires myself.
yup! i do a rotation once between oil change and once during oil change.
Old 03-20-24, 12:14 AM
Scsyndrome
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150k miles 2015 Fsport. My fronts leak. Very common on these cars.
Awells1980 (03-26-24)
Old 03-20-24, 04:09 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

The stock OEM shocks are cheap. I replaced all of them on my 2016 when I swapped to f-sport blue/tanabe springs.

They are around $140-170 each. And the rear shocks are $60...Cheap. If you don't need to replace springs or top hats then go to Bell Lexus and put your information in and look under the front/rear suspension. You'll get the part numbers there, all easily accessible.

I also found that at around 70k miles when I replaced my shocks the rebound on them was extremely slow.... I'd replace the shocks regardless if they are leaking or not at that milage. They car will feel a lot different. I couldn't imagine going 100k+ miles on the stock shocks.

This is what I ordered: Don't mind the first shock, I ordered the wrong part number. I also ordered everything else associated with the shocks. Suspension on these cars is super easy. Maybe a 2 out of 10 difficulty. The rear takes literally 20 minutes to do. Super easy.

-Nigel