CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Potential Cargo Length

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 08:44 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Potential Cargo Length

I recently rode in a CT and was impressed with the feel up front. I forgot to look or ask the owner how the rear seats fold. Do they go flat, or close to flat? My real interest is in the overall length available in the best cargo configuration, wherein the passenger seat is scooted far forward. Could someone give me the dimension from that seat back to the rearmost limit; both straight and on a diagonal (like on place a pole inside at an angle).? It's probably wishful thinking, but we'd like to carry a large musical instrument (harp). Amazingly, it fits in a Toyota Matrix, so, just maybe ...

Thanks!
Old 12-10-14, 01:35 PM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They go almost flat:

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/con...mc:819x819.jpg

I think the total length would be slightly over 5 feet, 150-160 cm. Has anyone measured it?
Old 12-12-14, 05:07 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Wait! This thread can't die without us knowing if a harp is gonna fit.

We have to know! Someone has to try this, and report back!
Old 12-12-14, 01:11 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Wait! This thread can't die without us knowing if a harp is gonna fit.

We have to know! Someone has to try this, and report back!
Yes, useful information for the .00001% of current and future Lexus owners that are into harps! It fits in a GX and an LX, every other Lexus is an open question.

When my little girl talked about playing the harp from an early age, I quickly learned it was not the variety of which Kris Kristofferson wrote ("I took my HARP outta my dirty red bandanna, and was blowin' sad while Bobby sang the blues ..."). Indeed it was the iteration that cost as much as a CT200H or any vehicle that's a potential transporter, and takes a team to move. Unlike a piano, there isn't a harp already at the location you're performing. So if your kids or grandkids are wondering what to play, I recommend the piccolo, flute or violin! Well, despite the hassle and upfront expense, it's rare enough that performing arts high schools are courting her at 14, and the university music programs are watching. Fingers crossed for scholarships.

So thanks for the feedback, and in advance for any measurements. We'll be looking a lot better in a CT than a Prius V!
Old 12-14-14, 07:11 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 206 Likes on 122 Posts

It's been a while since I visited the forums, so I am now just seeing this thread.

Keeping in mind that I have the power passenger seat, I moved it as far forward as possible, and moved the seatback as far forward as it can go as well. I took some basic measurements but I will need to know how high the harp would be if it were laying on the cargo floor, since the dimensions change with the angled opening of the hatch.

Early estimates puts the distance straight from the seatback to the hatch opening, about halfway between the floor and the ceiling, at about 65-67 inches. Diagonally, you get about 10 or so more inches (roughly, as my tape measure was starting to arc).

If I get more details, I can take more detailed, more straight measurements with help.
Old 12-14-14, 03:16 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Raidin

Early estimates puts the distance straight from the seatback to the hatch opening, about halfway between the floor and the ceiling, at about 65-67 inches. Diagonally, you get about 10 or so more inches (roughly, as my tape measure was starting to arc).

If I get more details, I can take more detailed, more straight measurements with help.
That's excellent info! Here's the best way I could put it for a more precise measurement: the tallest structure of a harp is the column. This one is 74", so it's probably wishful thinking. The harp can go diagonally, within the bounds of 40" width constraint; that width would be maximum about 12" down from the top of the column.

Just "ball-parking it" from how it works in other vehicles, you could take furthest forward, right side location where the column top might rest. Imagine something on the order of a 6" tube like is used to for vertical concrete column forms, resting on the folded passenger seat back. Then project a diagonal measurement to vehicle center at the rear-most constraint. That will give me an idea if it's worth it to go through the effort of talking a Lexus dealer into a test-fit (especially awkward because we don't want to buy new!) These measurements are probably above reason to ask for, but if you get around to it, that's great. Thanks.
Old 12-14-14, 06:38 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by zippinbye
That's excellent info! Here's the best way I could put it for a more precise measurement: the tallest structure of a harp is the column. This one is 74", so it's probably wishful thinking. The harp can go diagonally, within the bounds of 40" width constraint; that width would be maximum about 12" down from the top of the column.

Just "ball-parking it" from how it works in other vehicles, you could take furthest forward, right side location where the column top might rest. Imagine something on the order of a 6" tube like is used to for vertical concrete column forms, resting on the folded passenger seat back. Then project a diagonal measurement to vehicle center at the rear-most constraint. That will give me an idea if it's worth it to go through the effort of talking a Lexus dealer into a test-fit (especially awkward because we don't want to buy new!) These measurements are probably above reason to ask for, but if you get around to it, that's great. Thanks.
So let's see if I got this right, it's 74" long, 40" at its widest, and 6" tall when laying on its side?
Old 12-15-14, 11:36 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

So let's see if I got this right, it's 74" long, 40" at its widest, and 6" tall when laying on its side?
It's more complex than that, but for this purpose what you're saying is perfect! If the result is in the ballpark, I'll be heading off to a Lexus dealer with a monster instrument for a test fit.
Old 12-16-14, 03:35 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Ok so I did some basic measurements again with these numbers in mind.

In the above photo, you can see the tape measure just barely hitting the back of the seat.

Here you can see where 74" stops. It will be a tight fit.

Here I'm showing how wide the opening of the hatch is.

Due to the curvature of the edges of the hatch opening, its about 3 feet across, depending on where you measure. I checked the widest point (at the floor level), and it was ~38". The narrowest (at the top of the hatch opening) was ~36".

If you try to get it in diagonally, it might fit, but getting it all in and closing the hatch looks like a hit or miss.

I recommend you ask your local dealer for an extended test drive. This is where you pick up the car when the dealer closes on Saturday, and return it Monday morning when they open, if its convenient. This way you can try this at your leisure at home.
Old 12-18-14, 01:57 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

If you try to get it in diagonally, it might fit, but getting it all in and closing the hatch looks like a hit or miss.

I recommend you ask your local dealer for an extended test drive. This is where you pick up the car when the dealer closes on Saturday, and return it Monday morning when they open, if its convenient. This way you can try this at your leisure at home.
Thanks Raidin! I like the extended test dive option, never crossed my mind. Seeing your tape and adding for the outside measurement, I think there's hope on the length - especially if we're willing to sacrifice the passenger seat by tilting forward. The width is the wild card. It's all close enough that an actual fitment attempt is required. Your info makes it possible to go forward with the effort. Much appreciated.
Old 12-21-14, 06:22 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Thanks Raidin! I like the extended test dive option, never crossed my mind. Seeing your tape and adding for the outside measurement, I think there's hope on the length - especially if we're willing to sacrifice the passenger seat by tilting forward. The width is the wild card. It's all close enough that an actual fitment attempt is required. Your info makes it possible to go forward with the effort. Much appreciated.
Glad to be of service!
Old 01-16-15, 06:53 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Does anyone know how this turned out. This decision could have major scholarship and career implications, and she deserves a Lexus. Besides, any Dad that is willing to go through this process, and make a car buying decision based on it's ability to carry his daughters harp, is automatically included in the "Dad of the year" discussion. I love this stuff!

Not knowing how this ends is like finishing a jig saw puzzle, and discovering that you're missing the last piece!

Last edited by User 41924; 01-16-15 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-17-15, 05:10 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Does anyone know how this turned out. This decision could have major scholarship and career implications, and she deserves a Lexus. Besides, any Dad that is willing to go through this process, and make a car buying decision based on it's ability to carry his daughters harp, is automatically included in the "Dad of the year" discussion. I love this stuff!

Not knowing how this ends is like finishing a jig saw puzzle, and discovering that you're missing the last piece!
Completely agree, and would love to find out whatever happened regarding the decision.
Old 01-19-15, 09:12 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Completely agree, and would love to find out whatever happened regarding the decision.
Not going to disagree with those assertions! My bonus last year went 110% to a new-to-us used harp, and this year's is looking like a car. It's time to move out of the GX 470 as the primary family car, which is a PIA to load the instrument into, since the second row does not fold flat. MPG and is another issue, although sub-$2 gas is making that less of a concern, at least for now. It will be ironic if a wimpy little hybrid will take the load even better than the burly SUV! We're down to two kids at home, so the CT should work even though it's small. We also have an 01 Avalon and a one ton pick-up (no good for the harp due to climate control needs). In two years the harpist will be licensed to drive, so something else will be introduced to the fleet ... probably an 10+ year old mini van or perhaps a V70 wagon (one of the best car-based harp rigs on the planet). Hoping that the value in our GX + my bonus can pay for a clean two or three year old CT in the near term.

To answer your question, we haven't had time to demo a CT with the harp - surgery and other distractions in the family. I will post, with pics, when we get there.
Old 01-20-15, 05:10 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Looking forward to hearing how this all comes out. This is a great story.