Do you recommend Clear Shield?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 03:06 PM
T4PP312
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you recommend Clear Shield?

Hi friends.

So my 2015 F Sport is due to arrive this weekend I'm hoping for a delivery of early next week, after they tint the windows.

Just wondering if you folks really recommend the Clear Shield for the front end, and if so how strongly do you recommend it? I'm still undecided on whether or not to give them the go ahead.
Old 11-20-14, 04:24 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T4PP312
Hi friends.

So my 2015 F Sport is due to arrive this weekend I'm hoping for a delivery of early next week, after they tint the windows.

Just wondering if you folks really recommend the Clear Shield for the front end, and if so how strongly do you recommend it? I'm still undecided on whether or not to give them the go ahead.
I say if you want to get it, you'll find better value from specialty shops. Just for your info, your dealership will actually also get it done from one of these shops and add a markup. The same thing goes for tinting as well. Now whether to do the clear shield, is your personal choice. The clear bra almost costs the same as a repainting job. The difference is that you won't get rock chips with the clear shield and will more or less make your hood and bumper look unchanged as long as you keep the car. With painting, it starts chipping away from rocks the moment you get it done.

As for me, I hate seeing rock chips and pits when I look at the car. I got clear shield for 3/4 hood, full bumper, lights (I am told it resists oxidation of the lenses) mirror housing and door handles. I was prepared to spend the money and am happy with the results.

Last edited by LoveCT; 11-20-14 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 05:14 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with LoveCT! My new CT is black, with black interior, so I had the windows tinted with a ceramic film to reduce heat inside the car. I also had a clear mask put on the hood and fenders, because as LoveCT says, I really dislike rock chips. I didn't do the bumper, because it added to the cost, and they have some give to them which will reduce the chipping. after 3 uncovered years, my IS had no chips in the bumpers. Also, in MY experience, doing the mirrors is problematic. Due to the shape of the mirrors, it's really hard (but not impossible) to not get wrinkles in the material. It was recommended to me that I have the film wrapped around the edges of the hood to minimize the edges, and it looks great. The film is something a bit newer, and I was told that it will actually heal itself. Who knows if that's right, but I will say that except for the edge across the hood, you would never know it's there. It just disappears with none of that "orange peel" look, and is MUCH better than the mask the dealer put on our RX which is already yellowing. The whole cost for the windows and the mask was $500.

What color is your new car?
Old 11-21-14, 06:04 AM
T4PP312
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies.

I know the dealer marks up these kinda things. I guess my thought process is "go for the easy button" sometimes Its a bit more expensive, but if I have a problem with my tint or my clear shield, I get it taken care of at the dealer, rather then those individual places.

Ive got an Ultra White coming in with the black roof. I plan on getting black vinyl put on the silver grill surround pieces (rather then painting them).

Its costing me $400 to get the windows tinted (35% all around), and it will be another $400 if I want the clear shield (dealer advertises $500....). Ive still got a couple more days to think about it. Car is supposed to arrive on Sunday.
Old 11-21-14, 06:21 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree with Woodrow and LoveCT..Once you have the film on, it is hardly noticeable and it most definitely provides protection from stone chips(for those of us that have been behind a gravel truck would know). There are a bunch of manufacturers out there.3M is predominantely used but lot of people swear by the Avery Nano fusion and Venture Shield. Congrats on your ride and be safe.