CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

quality or cheap gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-12, 10:48 PM
tank97
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HennessySK
From what I'm told by someone in the fuel distribution business, the quality of gas is pretty much the same across all brands, especially here in Atlanta.

There is 1 pipeline that comes in to the fuel depot, and from there it is blended with ethanol. This brings the octane level up because gasoline that comes into our area is sub-octane. It is then that they say it is added with each brand's proprietary and mandated additives.

How much difference is there between BP's proprietary additives and say... Wal-mart's additives? Not much.

I use the cheapest gas I can find at the time (usually QuickTrip), and still get about 44-45mpg.
What he said^... they all have the same but they do add something like chevron, they add techron.. Shell got v power?..Uncle of a friend who's gas truck driver told me this. Now its up to u if u want to fill up in a good gas station. Personally i prefer chevron or shell on my car..
Old 11-04-12, 08:21 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Gas is pretty much all same, if it makes you feel better to use chevron, shell, or mobil whatever for more money then go for it. I used to stick to certain brands but now I use whatever is convenient. If your manual calls for 87 octane then I'd stick with that. You're not doing your car favors by using premium. Heck I use 87 on my ML(requires premium) for over a year and half and it's fine. I do this because ML is a lease I do not race my ML.
Old 11-22-12, 04:13 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

if the car calls for 87 oct, use 87 oct. if your car calls for 91 oct, use that ... simple.

Originally Posted by HennessySK
From what I'm told by someone in the fuel distribution business, the quality of gas is pretty much the same across all brands, especially here in Atlanta.

There is 1 pipeline that comes in to the fuel depot, and from there it is blended with ethanol. This brings the octane level up because gasoline that comes into our area is sub-octane. It is then that they say it is added with each brand's proprietary and mandated additives.

How much difference is there between BP's proprietary additives and say... Wal-mart's additives? Not much.

I use the cheapest gas I can find at the time (usually QuickTrip), and still get about 44-45mpg.

best post here

when a refinery (say CHEVRON) blows up, it affects everyones gas prices ... not just chevron gas. the gas itself is usually all the same, the good brands like shell/chevron/etc have additives like v power or techron that make it "a good brand".

and i like the thing hennessy said about additive vs additive, i mean how much better (or worse) is v power vs techron? :shrug: who knows, prob minimal diff if at all anything noticeable
Old 11-22-12, 04:18 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

1 more thing i wanted to add. some people claim that crappy gas (lets use costco as an example) could cause you lose mpgs. i wanted to test this out for myself in my subaru wrx:

from 2010 to 2012 ive filled up 100+ times using chevron (i have ALL the receipts to back this up) and i avg 22.7 mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/evilchargerfan/wrx-2

from 04.2012 to 07.2012, so far after just 11 tanks ... my mpg's actually INCREASED using crappy costco gas + my own additive (marvel mystery oil, google it). i have another 7-9 receipts i have yet to input into fuelly.com but the results are consistant ...

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/evilchargerfan/wrx

(remember this is a personal/just for kicks and giggles experiment, theres nothing scientific about it. the info could vary from person to person)