CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Hybrid Battery Full Charge Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 10:36 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hybrid Battery Full Charge Indicator

I used to own an RX400h with NAV. When displaying the energy screen on the NAV, if I got the hybrid/traction battery up to the point where it was fully charged, the battery level indicator would change from blue to green. I haven't been able to get the indicator on the CT200h to go green when I thought I got the battery up to fully charged. It stays blue. Has anyone else been able to do this, or was the full indicator change from blue to green not incorporated into the CT200h's energy display screen?

Jim
Old 01-01-12, 10:55 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

They changed it. My RX450h stays blue too.

Also they used to have the rims of the vehicle on the nav match the vehicle but now it is just the rims on the LS600h
Old 01-02-12, 04:43 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

To add to what RXSF said about the blue, it should go to a purple shade for the bottom two bars. At least or 450h models do. I suspect yours will too.

How do you like it ??? I sat in the 'F' model in the showroom and drooled a little
Originally Posted by JimsGX
I used to own an RX400h with NAV. When displaying the energy screen on the NAV, if I got the hybrid/traction battery up to the point where it was fully charged, the battery level indicator would change from blue to green. I haven't been able to get the indicator on the CT200h to go green when I thought I got the battery up to fully charged. It stays blue. Has anyone else been able to do this, or was the full indicator change from blue to green not incorporated into the CT200h's energy display screen?

Jim
Old 01-02-12, 10:17 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
How do you like it ??? I sat in the 'F' model in the showroom and drooled a little
I like it.. I bought it for commuting. Around 110 miles per day round trip. I've owned maybe a dozen Lexus' including two GX470's and an RX400h in the past. I currently own an LS400, LS430, ES350 and the CT200h... I like zipping around in the CT. It's fun to drive. When I go from the CT into my LS430, the difference is pretty dramatic though. Two very different cars designed for different purposes in life.

The CT is great for what I plan to use it for. It helps make the commute (with a lot of traffic) more bearable... My sister does a similar commute with a 2010 Honda Accord. The commute wears her out. Mainly due to the road noise level inside the Accord and the seats. The CT is better in these two areas.

Too bad that they deleted the "green" indicator on the energy screen. I enjoyed trying to get it to turn green...
Old 01-02-12, 01:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

For the battery, it is not good for it to be on a full charge which is why I would venture out to say they took out the green color. By having it be green at full, you think that it is a good thing to have but in fact it reduces the lifespan of the battery, they dont like to be on a full charge.

Notice that the car will try to keep the battery at "2 less than full" bars. When it is in that state, the arrows momentarily show the engine feeding energy into it, and also the battery feeding out of it to keep the "2 less than full" state. When you have less energy than 2 less than full, the engine is constantly feeding energy into the battery per the arrows. When you have it at full charge or just 1 less than full, you will see arrows pointing away from the battery even when the engine is on as it is trying to discharge energy to get back to optimal 2 less than full.

did that make any sense?
Old 01-02-12, 02:33 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
did that make any sense?
Maybe

The info I had seen in the past (4 years ago now) stated that when the battery level indicator went green, it was really only 80% charged. The engineers never wanted the battery to charge more than 80% because it would decrease the battery life. I guess the optimal range for the battery may be betweeen 20% ~ 80% charged for both functionality and longevity reasons.

I've never seen anything official from Lexus/Toyota on this subject though, just forum discussions on it.
Old 01-02-12, 03:27 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Just found this explanation on Hybridcars.com for the max/min charge states of the hybrid batteries. Pretty small range...

"The computer is monitoring the amount of charge in the batteries, making sure that they never charge more than 60 percent and never less than 40 percent of their capacity. In this way, automakers say, the batteries will last a couple hundred thousand miles."
Old 01-03-12, 01:53 PM
HennessySK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Maybe

The info I had seen in the past (4 years ago now) stated that when the battery level indicator went green, it was really only 80% charged. The engineers never wanted the battery to charge more than 80% because it would decrease the battery life. I guess the optimal range for the battery may be betweeen 20% ~ 80% charged for both functionality and longevity reasons.

I've never seen anything official from Lexus/Toyota on this subject though, just forum discussions on it.
Here's the most "official" thing I could find in the 2011 CT200h New Car Features (NM1710U)

Under HYBRID / BATTERY CONTROL: HYBRID CONTROL SYSTEM: DETAILS (2011 CT200H):
Attached Thumbnails Hybrid Battery Full Charge Indicator-hybrid-soc.jpg  
Old 01-04-12, 10:01 AM
IcewinD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HennessySK
Here's the most "official" thing I could find in the 2011 CT200h New Car Features (NM1710U)

Under HYBRID / BATTERY CONTROL: HYBRID CONTROL SYSTEM: DETAILS (2011 CT200H):
The chart seems accurate for best utilization of the battery's bulk charge area and the efficiency of the engine.

Most batteries have 3 different areas of charge, as noted in that graph. Above the "Upper SOC Control Limit" battery charges very slowly (and eventually to just a trickle). Below the "Lower SOC Control" you're approaching the "Deep Discharge" cycle of the battery.

In the center is what is known as a "Bulk" charge area, it provides nominal voltage output, and can charge within a reasonable amount of time. (if you have ever read charging description for some products where they say it'll reach ~85% in 1 hour, but to reach 100% you'll need to charge it for 8+hrs, it basically describes the charge profile of the battery)

While there's not harm in charging it full, it's very inefficient to do so using the gas engine. Regenerative braking on the other hand isn't a problem because it's relatively free and that's when you're normally see if go near max bars if you've been braking down a long hill.

There is major issues going below the lower SOC Control however, they place that limit with a margin over the beginning of the deep discharge. Deep discharge is very bad for the battery and will diminish charge cycle lift considerably. Not only that, but in the deep discharge state, the voltage level provided will be at ~rated capacity, so a high current load (like that used by the converter from the battery voltage to the electrical engine voltage) might cause it to droop below the rated voltage of the battery.

My background is: MS:Electrical Engineer: Controls/Algorithms, Hybrid Power Systems
Old 01-04-12, 10:24 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That's about as good an explanation as I've seen, thanks.

I'm guessing the 1st part of your screen name 'ICE' is the acronym for internal combustion engine based on your background , am I right ??? If so then I'm curious as to the other parts that you also 'logically' chose. Sorry it's just something I do. My passengers go nuts 'cause I'm always trying to analyze personal license tags.

Originally Posted by IcewinD
The chart seems accurate for best utilization of the battery's bulk charge area and the efficiency of the engine.

Most batteries have 3 different areas of charge, as noted in that graph. Above the "Upper SOC Control Limit" battery charges very slowly (and eventually to just a trickle). Below the "Lower SOC Control" you're approaching the "Deep Discharge" cycle of the battery.

In the center is what is known as a "Bulk" charge area, it provides nominal voltage output, and can charge within a reasonable amount of time. (if you have ever read charging description for some products where they say it'll reach ~85% in 1 hour, but to reach 100% you'll need to charge it for 8+hrs, it basically describes the charge profile of the battery)

While there's not harm in charging it full, it's very inefficient to do so using the gas engine. Regenerative braking on the other hand isn't a problem because it's relatively free and that's when you're normally see if go near max bars if you've been braking down a long hill.

There is major issues going below the lower SOC Control however, they place that limit with a margin over the beginning of the deep discharge. Deep discharge is very bad for the battery and will diminish charge cycle lift considerably. Not only that, but in the deep discharge state, the voltage level provided will be at ~rated capacity, so a high current load (like that used by the converter from the battery voltage to the electrical engine voltage) might cause it to droop below the rated voltage of the battery.

My background is: MS:Electrical Engineer: Controls/Algorithms, Hybrid Power Systems