CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 04:34 PM
dkidwell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window Tint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be picking up my CT Friday. Before I pick it up, I need help.

I am having the windows tinted. The Lexus ES I had the rear window was tinted. Whenever a car came up behind me at night their headlights were displayed between each rear window heat wire. This nearly drove me crazy seeing all of those headlights behind me coming from one car. Are those of you who have tinted your windows on your CT having the same problem? My problem may have been installation problem or the slant of the rear window.
Old 04-12-11, 06:08 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"Whenever a car came up behind me at night their headlights were displayed between each rear window heat wire"..i dont understand what u mean..So u are seeing the heat wires "pop up". where did u got ur ES tinted
Old 04-12-11, 06:39 PM
dkidwell
Rookie

Originally Posted by akabond
"Whenever a car came up behind me at night their headlights were displayed between each rear window heat wire"..i dont understand what u mean..So u are seeing the heat wires "pop up". where did u got ur ES tinted
The ES was tinted at the dealer.

The rear window defroster wires cause multiple images when looking out the rear window thru the mirror.

It was kind of like looking into a broken mirror. Each piece of the mirror has the same image. The space between each heat wire had the same image.

It is beginning to sound like I am the only one that has had the problem and maybe I should go ahead and tint the rear glass on the CT.

My question is did tinting the rear window change what you see thru the rear view mirror at night?

Last edited by dkidwell; 04-12-11 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 08:57 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hmmm im hearing it 1st time..but i m goin to have my ES tinted this weekend..cant wait
Old 04-13-11, 10:38 AM
dkidwell
Rookie

Hi All,

The silence tells me that you do not understand my question. That is good because it means you have not had the problem. I have decided to go ahead and tint the side windows and the rear window.

If the car came in today as scheduled I will pick it up Friday. I will try to post pictures this weekend.
Old 04-13-11, 06:10 PM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by dkidwell
Hi All,

The silence tells me that you do not understand my question. That is good because it means you have not had the problem. I have decided to go ahead and tint the side windows and the rear window.

If the car came in today as scheduled I will pick it up Friday. I will try to post pictures this weekend.
I had my IS-F tinted, and didn't have the problem you described. I'm thinking somebody goofed on yours.

Would it be rude to ask how much you are paying for the tint? I'm thinking of doing mine as well.

Thanks
Old 04-13-11, 06:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be picking up my CT Friday. Before I pick it up, I need help.

I am having the windows tinted. The Lexus ES I had the rear window was tinted. Whenever a car came up behind me at night their headlights were displayed between each rear window heat wire. This nearly drove me crazy seeing all of those headlights behind me coming from one car. Are those of you who have tinted your windows on your CT having the same problem? My problem may have been installation problem or the slant of the rear window.
Just make sure the installer is using a good quality film and its done by a reputable installer. The ghosting effect happens when the tint is not adhering well to the metal defroster grid and glass. Let me ask you, do you ever use the rear window defrosters in your ES? If so, I would quit using them. The heat just breaks down the tint's adhesive properties and causes bubbling later down the road.
Old 04-13-11, 06:53 PM
dkidwell
Rookie

Originally Posted by mm767cap
Would it be rude to ask how much you are paying for the tint? I'm thinking of doing mine as well.

Thanks
It is a dealer install and includes Pin Stripe, Window Tint and Nitrogen in the tires. It was $425. It may be a little high, but I went with it because I have Nitrogen in the tires of my RX and love it. The RX is a 2009 and I have only had to add Nitrogen to the tires one time in 3 years.
Old 04-13-11, 07:01 PM
dkidwell
Rookie

Originally Posted by flipside909
Let me ask you, do you ever use the rear window defrosters in your ES? If so, I would quit using them. The heat just breaks down the tint's adhesive properties and causes bubbling later down the road.
The ES was a 2005 and it was traded in on the RX. I did use the rear window defrosters a couple of times. I keep my cars garaged and we don't have a lot of freezing weather here in central Texas so there is not much need for the rear defrosters.

Not using the rear defrosters sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
Old 04-14-11, 01:02 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

definitely don't use the window defrosters especially if the tint is cheaper quality. if you do use the window defrosters, make sure you turn them off when they've done their job. that should prevent any issues with the tint and ghosting.
Old 04-14-11, 08:09 AM
mm767cap
Driver

It is a dealer install and includes Pin Stripe, Window Tint and Nitrogen in the tires. It was $425. It may be a little high, but I went with it because I have Nitrogen in the tires of my RX and love it. The RX is a 2009 and I have only had to add Nitrogen to the tires one time in 3 years.
Very good. Thanks much for the info.
Old 04-14-11, 09:41 AM
dapimpee
Pole Position

just dont drive your car in the cold weather days , lol.
Old 04-14-11, 10:57 AM
dkidwell
Rookie

Originally Posted by dapimpee
just dont drive your car in the cold weather days , lol.
I am in Central Texas, what are cold weather days? lol