Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

NBC News at 10:00 p.m. talking about the tint car law.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 08:06 AM
nat4103
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool NBC News at 10:00 p.m. talking about the tint car law.

Good morning everyone;
Just a heads up. I was watching news on channel 5 last night & they stated that tonight on the 10:00 news on channel 5 they will be talking about the new tint law & why the chicago police are still giving out tickets when they shouldn't be. Something to look into, because I do not know how many of us are looking to add tint to our cars but do not do it because we do not want a ticket.
Old 05-05-10, 08:27 AM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

If i'm not mistaken they now allow you to tint the front window to a maximum of 35%. Previously it was only the rear to 20%. However, if you do tint the Front window you may not exceed 35% for the rears.

This really shouldn't be something you need to worry about unless you reside in the deep city. I'm on the northshore and never encounter issues.
Old 05-05-10, 11:25 PM
pli
Lead Lap

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-92929004.html
Old 05-06-10, 05:18 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the article they have below.

A growing number of angry motorists say the City of Chicago is unfairly ticketing cars with tinted windows, and they suspect money is the motive.

Illinois last fall joined 38 other states with a new law that allowed a specified level of tint in front and passenger-side car windows. But the evidence that convinced those 39 state legislatures was apparently not enough for Chicago, which is relying on the concept of Home Rule to enforce its own ordinance outlawing tinted front windows.

Shortly after the Illinois law took effect, the city's fine for having tint increased 10-fold: from $25 in 2008 to $250 in 2009.

State Rep. Suzie Bassi (R-Palatine) sponsored House Bill 3325 and says the calls started coming in to her office shortly after the new law took effect on Oct. 30, 2009.

Meet Ford's Interceptor Cop Car
LOOK

Greenest Cars on the Block
LOOK

"It's not like suburban people, who want this tinting for EPA needs and skin cancers issues -- they can't just take it off when they come in to the city," she said. "So there are folks who have already gotten tinting on their windows, who came in to the city, had dinner in the city, and walked out with a $250 ticket."

Dave Krause, a professional tinter who worked with Bassi on trying to convince law enforcement on the wisdom of allowing some tint in car windows in Illinois, says Illinois State Police embraced the concept after one demonstration.

"There are a lot of reasons to protect the interior of your vehicle: for heat protection and a medical issue, to cut out UV rays, protect yourself from skin cancer," he explained.

Driver Mike Twedell said he's been hit three times on two of his cars; a $750 ding that leaves him suspicious that the city is desperate for revenue and considers tinted windows an easy target.

The Chicago Police Department disputes the notion the fines are just a revenue-enhancer for the city.

In a statement, the department said that tinted windows "pose a real safety risk for officers and the general public. An officer needs to be able to see inside a vehicle when conducting a traffic stop."

Still, the numbers are compelling:

When tint violations cost $25, the city brought in $736,000 in related fines. When fines jumped to $250 a pop, the city reaped $2.6 million in the same category.

Bassi calls the fines "outrageous," and says $250 is the most-expensive ticket allowed in the city.

Home rule does give a municipality broad power to enact its own laws, but can be taken too far.

Defense attorney Thomas Glasgow said he believes the fight over tinted windows is one where the city has crossed a line.

"It has no merit and it is unconstitutional because the uniform traffic code, by its own terms, is to be uniformly applied throughout the state. There are not to be variances, in various regions," he said.

Most of the drivers interviewed by NBC Chicago that appealed their tickets eventually lost their cases. Legal experts say the city probably will not back off the heavy ticket fine unless ordered to do so by a judge.

Cars registered in other cities and even other states could get hit with the ticket. The police department admits that none of its officers are equipped with tint meters. Instead, it's up to an officer's discretion when a ticket is appropriate.

Police say they will not ticket vehicles with factory-installed tint on back windows, commonly found on SUVs and minivans.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...#ixzz0n9QpPMgG
Old 05-06-10, 09:54 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-07-10, 08:14 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI: I just got my plate renewal papers for my "WT" plate; they changed the wording since last year, restricting the ailments that are acceptable to them to warrant tinted windows. So, even Springfield wants to make it harder to legally have tinted windows....
Old 05-11-10, 11:20 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is such nonsense with Chicago!!! A good buddy of mine and a Romeoville officer is for the new tint law as he himself has tinted windows on his personal vehicle. He told me the main reason for the allowance of 35% on front is for EPA issues and the reduction of people using their A/C's to cool interiors and thus, cleaner cities....... Wait till Chicago is on smog alert (lol). Ok, meteorologically, this would be a rarity due to no mountain ranges and the constant jet stream, but I needed to rant on this!!! It's bad enough parking has become privatized in Chicago and the fees are ever increasing. I guess people in the suburbs should not dine, see shows, events, etc in the city?
Old 05-11-10, 03:20 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

I'm def not driving any of my tinted cars into the city anytime soon. I think there needs to be a huge lawsuit in order for them to realize they're idiots...
Old 05-20-10, 06:00 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

That's one of the reasons why I don't go into Chicago. I'll just continue to spend my money in the suburbs.
Old 05-24-10, 08:45 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

UPDATE: I got D-E-N-I-E-D from Springfield on my tinted-window plate renewal. The nice lady who called me to deliver the news explained it's now legal to tint windows in Illinois, up to 35%, blah blah blah, but unless you have Lupus or Albinism, you can't get the WT plate anymore. Looks like I'm going to see Caesar to strip off my tints and replace them with 35%....
Old 05-26-10, 06:23 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oblivionis
That's one of the reasons why I don't go into Chicago. I'll just continue to spend my money in the suburbs.
Same here. Loving my elbow room in the burbs!
Old 05-28-10, 11:50 AM
StasGS4
Driver

I am wondering, what if someone from Florida or Texas (where tint is legal) drove their tinted car to Chicago for sightseeing, would they still get a $250 ticket? Are they supposed to strip the window tint off before crossing the city limits? This does not make sense???

Has anyone fought a tinted windows ticket in court?
Old 05-28-10, 01:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ you technically need to obey to state rules but if you have an out of state license and your car is registered then I dont see them bothering you. I had some neighbors that lived in FL and IL and had the windows blacked with FL plates and never had an issue. Thats the burbs and then again I really had no issues with IL plates back then either.
Old 05-29-10, 06:58 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by StasGS4
I am wondering, what if someone from Florida or Texas (where tint is legal) drove their tinted car to Chicago for sightseeing, would they still get a $250 ticket? Are they supposed to strip the window tint off before crossing the city limits? This does not make sense???

Has anyone fought a tinted windows ticket in court?
Nah. If you have out of state plates, you won't get a ticket.
Old 06-07-10, 08:41 AM
EastWind
Driver

if they feel that tint posses a risk to their pulling people over, then they should have it be the law. that if you tint, you roll down your driver's side windows (front and rear if applicable) whenever you get pulled over. if you don't roll them down, that will be an automatic $30 fine. Now, i know some people do have manual windows, but I doubt that a car with manual window is worth tinting anywayz. I was once driving from Michigan to Chicago and got pulled over 4times on I-94 (well in Michigan) all for my tint. Got no tickets tho, just warning. After the 2nd time, I would have rolled my windows down to avoid getting pulled over, but it was winter. LOL