Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 04:40 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts
Default G80/Genesis

My Genesis Ultimate lease is ending after 2 years, and I will not be getting another one. It's a nice car with good values for money. However, there are also draw backs. The 5.0 V8 is fine on the low/mid ranges but very coarse at higher rev. Driver seat could be better. Electronic sensors (parking, blind spots and and lanekeep) are imo not as good as they should be. The biggest annoyance is the service department at my dealer.
I thought about getting the G90, but decided against it after seeing the car at the International Auto Show in Feb. You can't beat a Lexus dealership If you like hanging out at the place while getting your car serviced.
Old 03-21-17, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nice. Is your ls lwb? If not, do you need the cavernous back seat of the g90? Well 'need' is probably the wrong term... want? Lol
With two rapidly-growing kids in back, it certainly couldn't hurt.
Old 03-21-17, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lurker9
You can't beat a Lexus dealership If you like hanging out at the place while getting your car serviced.
You don't just have to sit there and stare at the walls. A lot of shops today, even non-Lexus ones, have Internet-access, Wi-Fi, play areas for kids, snack bars, and other nice facilities. Of course, the older, smaller shops are going to lag behind the newer, larger ones in that department....but even they are usually more than just bare waiting rooms. Or, you could do what I do, as a car enthusiast, and do a static-review or test-drive while you are waiting.

I used to insist on being with the car, and the technician, while it was being worked on, to make sure that the technician wasn't being careless and to thoroughly explain any problem I was having (I've seen a few bozos here and there in the service business), but not many places allow that any more because of their lawyers and insurance.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-17 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
My Genesis Ultimate lease is ending after 2 years, and I will not be getting another one. It's a nice car with good values for money. However, there are also draw backs. The 5.0 V8 is fine on the low/mid ranges but very coarse at higher rev. Driver seat could be better. Electronic sensors (parking, blind spots and and lanekeep) are imo not as good as they should be. The biggest annoyance is the service department at my dealer.
I thought about getting the G90, but decided against it after seeing the car at the International Auto Show in Feb. You can't beat a Lexus dealership If you like hanging out at the place while getting your car serviced.
I actually can beat it, I can look at my home or office and my day uninterrupted by having my car serviced while its being serviced LOL. No interest in spending any time at the dealer. So, dealer wouldn't be an issue for me because I would never even see it.

The issue is cost, $ for $ I would always rather have the Lexus or the BMW or whatever, but the Genesis is $20,000+ less...and the ownership experience is more desirable from a service perspective because of the service concierge and the free maintenance.
Old 03-21-17, 07:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The concierge service with Genesis is pretty cool. For me, I don't drive enough miles/year to have that impact my decision. I do less than 10k miles/year, so I do service every 6 months. So I spend a total of 2-4 hours per year having my Lexus serviced (actually less of my time as I just drop it off and pick up a loaner on my way to work, then swing by after work and pick it up). But for someone who has more services per year, or for whom a dealer is not as conveniently located, I can see it as a nice perk.

Last edited by JDR76; 03-21-17 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 08:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Out of the 3 I would choose the ES. I walk past a few parked on the streets every morning by me and I just love how they look. Elegant yet aggressive and that interior is niiiiice. I would much prefer wood over a leather steering wheel. It just feels nice in the hand. I much prefer the gated shifted since I dont have to look every time I shift whereas in my uncles old Altima, I had to look to shift to make sure I didnt shift past D, but each their own.

How much bigger is the LS short wheel base version compared to the ES? I always feel like they are within an inch or 2 of each other.
Old 03-21-17, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The SWB LS is about 6.5 inches longer than the ES
Old 03-21-17, 01:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have a good relationship with your Buick dealership because of your Verano, then the Lacrosse might be a nice upgrade. I have no experience with it, but from your own reviews it sounds you mostly favor the car itself besides a few gripes, so maybe its worth the risk in reliability.

The ES350 would be my favorite of the 3 simply because I'm most familiar with it. Its very predictable, and controls are logical mostly. Save for setting up a few things up in the menu with the Remote Touch in the beginning (Bluetooth, radio presets, etc..) most controls have a hard button, 2016+ also brought some nicer interior refinements, not to mention this is one of several Lexus's tuned on regular 87 octane.

I like the improvements to the MKZ, but I don't think its there just yet. I'd wait till the next generation. This one is too mashed up old/new IMO.

Have you considered the TLX? Though I'm not sure of the 9-Speed Auto, the V6 is very smooth.
Old 03-21-17, 03:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I actually can beat it, I can look at my home or office and my day uninterrupted by having my car serviced while its being serviced LOL. No interest in spending any time at the dealer. So, dealer wouldn't be an issue for me because I would never even see it.

The issue is cost, $ for $ I would always rather have the Lexus or the BMW or whatever, but the Genesis is $20,000+ less...and the ownership experience is more desirable from a service perspective because of the service concierge and the free maintenance.
i am pleasantly surprised to hear you say this about the concierge service, because i know how much you value the luxury dealership experience as well, but not only is the concierge way much more convenient, it means you can be making money (or golfing or whatever ) instead of being stuck at the dealer, or messing with loaner cars, etc.

but anyway, don't mean to highjack mmarshall's thread... mmarshall, i think you should live a little and get a g80, not a lacrosse!
Old 03-21-17, 04:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah anymore, I never want to see the dealer lol
Old 03-21-17, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but anyway, don't mean to highjack mmarshall's thread... mmarshall, i think you should live a little and get a g80, not a lacrosse!
No problem, bit. I've probably hijacked a couple of threads myself over the years.

I could live a little with any of the cars I mentioned...and a few others, like the Kia Cadenza and Chevy Impala. I could live a little more with something like a K900, Continental, Equus, LS460, or S550 LOL but they are simply too big to easily fit my condo-spaces, though money is not an issue with me and I could afford one if they did. Even a Lacrosse or G80 would be pushing it, size-wize, though, in my condo-lot.

The G80 certainly has a better shifter than the LaCrosse....and doesn't force the start/stop system on you. With the G80, though, AWD would be a must for me. Traction-aids or not, I'm absolutely done with RWD in the winter....probably never do it again. My IS300, even with traction-control and all-season tires, cured me of that LOL. I'm also a strong believer (but not cast in stone) in rewarding excellent dealer treatment (which I got from GM) with repeat business. But I value your opinion highly, just as I do a number of others on this thread.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-17 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 05:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Live a little

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ma...modelselection

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/pa...modelselection

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic.../bodystyle-SDN

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/5series/sedan.html

I say throw the NX/RX and maybe even the GX in the mix.
Old 03-21-17, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Remember, the Impala is BIGGER than an LS460!
Old 03-21-17, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Remember, the Impala is BIGGER than an LS460!
I checked the specs. For all intents and purposes, they are the same size. The Impala is an inch longer, the LS an inch wider, though Chevy takes that width-measurement with the side-mirrors folded.
Old 03-21-17, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If you have a good relationship with your Buick dealership because of your Verano, then the Lacrosse might be a nice upgrade. I have no experience with it, but from your own reviews it sounds you mostly favor the car itself besides a few gripes, so maybe its worth the risk in reliability.
Though I try to be fair and objective in my reviews, and don't personally favor one brand over another, I always had an affinity for the Buick nameplate, even as a teenager many decades ago (when I also had somewhat of an interest in all of the American muscle cars, if driven sensibly). But, from the early 1970s (when I left college) to the time the Verano came out in 2012, very few Buick products had what I felt was good design or build quality......they were mostly junk. The Opel-rebadgings (Verano/Cascada/Encore/Regal) changed that.

The ES350 would be my favorite of the 3 simply because I'm most familiar with it. Its very predictable, and controls are logical mostly. Save for setting up a few things up in the menu with the Remote Touch in the beginning (Bluetooth, radio presets, etc..) most controls have a hard button, 2016+ also brought some nicer interior refinements, not to mention this is one of several Lexus's tuned on regular 87 octane.
What I like best about the ES is its quietness, fit/finish, smooth drivetrain, and slick wood steering wheel. The doors, though, and some interior trim-parts feel tinny, and there is some obvious cost-cutting on the plastics. I also don't care for the shifter's zig-zags....a Toyota/Lexus trademark.

I like the improvements to the MKZ, but I don't think its there just yet. I'd wait till the next generation. This one is too mashed up old/new IMO.
Yeah.....Lincoln is trying hard (the Continental, for example, is gorgeous, and really hits the mark)...but the MKZ doesn't seem to have quite the same build-solidness as its bigger brother, despite the continental front end. It drives very nicely, though (as good as the Lacrosse or ES), and the push-button shifter is easy and simple to use. AWD models, though, have had some issues with drive-shaft vibration, so I'd probably avoid those and stick to FWD, even though, with FWD, you're stuck with the 2.0L turbo four.

Have you considered the TLX? Though I'm not sure of the 9-Speed Auto, the V6 is very smooth.
I don't care much for either of the two Acura dealerships in my area (Northern Virginia D.C. suburbs). They seem to have aloof, uninformed people running them, aren't particularly customer-friendly, and don't seem to even know their own products. Besides, I prefer the way the RLX drives to the the TLX (I've sampled them), though the RLX may be a little big for my parking-space.

Quick Reply: OK, Folks....Now it may (?) be my turn to go shopping.