Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The one in Chantilly is pretty impressive...but, like I said earlier, it is not typical of other Kia shops. And, Thank You for the offer, but I am well-off enough to pay for my own vehicles.
Which dealership is this, Ourisman in Chantilly? My experience with the Ourisman chain of dealers hasn't been great lol. Guy I work with used to caddy for Ourisman too, based on his stories I think your opinion of his dealers is a little off LOL

I've been there, nobody would ever confuse it with a Lexus dealer.
Old 02-19-17, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Which dealership is this, Ourisman in Chantilly? My experience with the Ourisman chain of dealers hasn't been great lol. Guy I work with used to caddy for Ourisman too, based on his stories I think your opinion of his dealers is a little off LOL
Well, no, it's not off in the sense that I agree with your view of the Ourisman chain in general from the way they do business......too pushy, and with sometimes questionable service/repair policies. The Fitz way, for one, at the Fitzgerald chains, IMO puts them to shame. But we weren't discussing that...we were discussing building-opulence....and the Chantilly Kia shop is probably the best Kia store I've seen from a physical point of view.
Old 02-19-17, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, no, it's not off in the sense that I agree with your view of the Ourisman chain in general from the way they do business......too pushy, and with sometimes questionable service/repair policies. The Fitz way, for one, at the Fitzgerald chains, IMO puts them to shame. But we weren't discussing that...we were discussing building-opulence....and the Chantilly Kia shop is probably the best Kia store I've seen from a physical point of view.
I thought you said "they treat customers like Kings"?

That's generally (but not totally) true. My brother's Kia dealership, for example, has a reputation for treating customers like kings.
Are they too pushy or do they treat customers like kings?

Opulance is a good word. Ourisman Kia is nice, but its not "opulent". Its a nice Holiday Inn vs a Ritz Carlton.

Lexus dealers:

Ourisman Kia:

Can't even find any pictures of the inside...because the inside isn't worth taking pictures of. Google "Lexus dealers" and check out the tons of pictures...

If you're a luxury consumer who enjoys quality surroundings and a quality experience (I would consider myself one of those people), then the nicest Kia dealer is going to crinkle your nose lol

To many luxury consumers, these trappings matter.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-19-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought you said "they treat customers like Kings"?
No....perhaps I'm not making myself clear. The small Kia shop that is owned by my brother's Congressman treats sales and service customers like kings. I've been to the big Ourisman shop in Chantilly to look at some new models (and to buy some Kia parts for my brother as a Christmas present)..but haven't actually bought or leased a vehicle myself there. It's a nice place to test-drive, though, because of the relative lack of traffic, once off of Route 50.

I have been to other Ourisman shops in the area, though as a pseudo-customer, primarily shopping with others, and I wasn't impressed with their tactics. But even they were pristine compared to Rosenthal (I'm sure you remember Rosenthal). I bought a new Mazda once, back in the late 1980s, from Rosenthal Mazda in Arlington (now closed.......they did have good prices, but they beat you over the head during the deal to try and get you to sign. Same experience when I went with a friend of mine (my old Flight Instructor, as a matter of fact) and his dad to get his dad a new Mazda Protege at Rosenthal Tysons (a different branch of the same Mazda company)...a great price, but a harangue of a deal. If my memory is correct, Rosenthal was also involved in a FBI sting using drug-money to by new vehicles....that's when the Federal law that was passed in Congress requiring the reporting of cash sales over $10,000 originated. I now avoid them like the plague....I don't even go there for reviews.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-19-17 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 04:35 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Uh correction; since the 2016 MY, the ES has been manufactured in Kentucky. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

The Maxima is a very good car; it also has been in (I can't remember either KBB or Car & Driver) the "Top 10 fastest depreciating new vehicle" list due to multiple reasons including Nissan's fleet sales. Nissan has been on a rampage (good version) of sales figures in the US in the past decade, a large part of this is due to fleet sales to corporate and rental fleets. Due to this, and the basic economic law of supply and demand, I'd recommend checking out a 1-3 year old Maxima rather than getting a new one.

For me, the Nissan is a gutsier vehicle, it has a wonderful V6, the Platinum trim has pretty respectable interior build. I prefer the "fun and excitement" of the Maxima compared to the ES. That said, Nissan does have some reliability issues in the long term that you won't have to worry about too much with the ES. The ES is based off the Toyota Avalon platform (yes, not a Camry...the Avalon) so it does ride smoother especially the 2016 MY and newer.

At the end of the day, I prefer a more serene ride and thus choose the ES. Purely personal choice and that does not make the Maxima a bad choice. If you do choose the Maxima, look for a pre-owned one for your wallet's sake.
Is that so? That's unfortunate- makes the choice a little bit tougher, but the other two points are certainly still valid!
Old 02-20-17, 09:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw a Maxima today at the library. Nice car. It was loaded. I think it is a bit smaller than the ES. Totally different demographics IMO.
Old 02-20-17, 10:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well--how do they price out, comparably equipped? I've never really loved the ES--it's a nice car. But if I could get a Maxima for 1000s less, and still have most of the features, I'd do that in a heartbeat.
Old 02-20-17, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Maxima is considerably cheaper.
Old 02-20-17, 12:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The Maxima starts just over $32k and in Platinum trim comes out at about $42-43k, whereas the ES ranges anywhere from what, $38k to 48k or so?
Old 02-20-17, 12:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A loaded 350 is just under $50k, loaded 300h is just under $52k.
Old 02-20-17, 12:59 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

A loaded 350 is just under $50k, loaded 300h is just under $52k.
I'd go Maxima all the way, then.
Old 02-20-17, 01:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Man the Lexus dealers in Nashville look NOTHING like that Taj Mahal. The one in Cool Springs is the original building from 1990, the waiting area is small(but nice), still has the same polished marble/smoked glass vibe from the 1980's. The new one(its maybe 5 years old) near downtown, its not a real big dealership, finding a parking space is a major PITA and the building is nice, if unremarkable. Nothing like that non-sense with a putting green and stuff lol.
Old 02-20-17, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'd go Maxima all the way, then.
I'd still take the ES. The Maxima is just ungainly looking to me, and I hate CVTs. The ES has a lot more class and dignity for the few K more.
Old 02-20-17, 01:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

I'd still take the ES. The Maxima is just ungainly looking to me, and I hate CVTs. The ES has a lot more class and dignity for the few K more.
It all comes down to personal taste at that point. I've never really liked the current gen of the ES. And most ES target customers wouldn't realize the Maxima has a CVT. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't bother with either of those. But if I'm going to stretch a few $1000 more over a Maxima, it's not going to be for an ES.

OP should consider a Ford Fusion Sport AWD with 325 HP.
Old 02-20-17, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh sure, its all a matter of personal taste. The big thing is the luxury nameplate. If you want "a Lexus" you're not going to consider a Maxima or Ford Fusion. I would drive the ES long before I drove either of those cars.

For ES money what I'd have a hard time turning down is a Genesis G80.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus ES 350 vs Nissan Maxima