Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed Static-Review: 2017 Volvo S90

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

But they do have a big industry show in LA already...
Old 01-22-17, 08:50 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You have to look at these big shows as industry trade shows really. They're opened to the public, but the point really is internal to the industry.
This is a big point that is being ignored. It's also why I made a comment about the suppliers.
Old 01-22-17, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

But they do have a big industry show in LA already...
I'm well-aware of that. But it's not the largest show.....Detroit is considered the Largest.
Old 01-23-17, 12:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

So it's decided, the NAIA show stays in Detroit and the only area selling more new cars than LA is DC (not sure about this one-not talking about traffic just new vehicle sales).
Old 01-23-17, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
So it's decided, the NAIA show stays in Detroit and the only area selling more new cars than LA is DC (not sure about this one-not talking about traffic just new vehicle sales).
Nope.....you got it backwards. L.A. sells more cars than D.C....but both areas are enormous.

Agreed....I'm not a moderator, but it seems to me we've gone off-topic and talked about auto shows long enough. Any more comments on the S90 itself?
Old 01-23-17, 06:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope.....you got it backwards. L.A. sells more cars than D.C....but both areas are enormous.

Agreed....I'm not a moderator, but it seems to me we've gone off-topic and talked about auto shows long enough. Any more comments on the S90 itself?
My mistake. My point was that NYC, Chicago, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston etc. are more enormous, potentially selling as many or more vehicles per year.
Old 01-23-17, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My mistake. My point was that NYC, Chicago, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston etc. are more enormous, potentially selling as many or more vehicles per year.

No offense, guys, and with all due respect, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm done talking about auto shows in this particular thread. We've all made our points, and we were talking about the new S90.
Old 01-23-17, 12:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just want to be fair to all involved and point out that you were the one who took the discussion into this direction with the post quoted below, not any of us. If you don't want to see a discussion go in a direction, think about that before you post something and steer it in that direction.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've posted on this in other threads, so I won't go into it in great detail here again but IMO the Detroit Show is outdated. Detroit and Michigan is no longer the center of the American auto industry like it once was.....many plants and even company HQs have moved south or west, if not overseas. Detroit itself is run down, and in many ways, a basket case of a city. Six times as many new vehicles, in an average year, are sold in the Washington D.C. area as Detroit, and ten times as many in the SoCal-L.A. region. Yet the largest auto show still remains in Detroit....IMO it just doesn't make sense.
Old 01-23-17, 12:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just want to be fair to all involved and point out that you were the one who took the discussion into this direction with the post quoted below, not any of us. If you don't want to see a discussion go in a direction, think about that before you post something and steer it in that direction.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. That's why I made the statement I did about getting back on topic. But I didn't expect the auto-show discussion to go on as long as it did. Of course, on Car Chat, once a topic opens up (even within a topic)....boom, it can really take off.

I was going to go look at the S90 Inscription version early this week, but the weather was just awful today...and I'm going to be tied up Wednesday. Maybe Thursday, before the show starts Friday.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-17 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 03:04 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

that 4 banger sounds cheap no matter how much turbo power you have on it.

it's too bad, because the s90 has the best FWD proportions for a FWD car with its RWD look

Old 01-23-17, 03:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you driven it?

It really does look great.
Old 01-23-17, 03:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I was surprised to see that C&D ranks the S90 #9 in the segment as they see it. They rank various MB, Audi, Cadillac, Jaguar and BMW models ahead of it. Not the last word on things, but a point of reference. I like the S90 inside and out, but if in the market I'd want to closely check out the 4 cylinder power plant.
Old 01-23-17, 04:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I was surprised to see that C&D ranks the S90 #9 in the segment as they see it. They rank various MB, Audi, Cadillac, Jaguar and BMW models ahead of it. Not the last word on things, but a point of reference. I like the S90 inside and out, but if in the market I'd want to closely check out the 4 cylinder power plant.
It's been discussed here before that its odd that C&D doesn't provide any justification for those rankings nor does it explain the methodology, so not sure how much they're actually worth.
Old 01-23-17, 04:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's been discussed here before that its odd that C&D doesn't provide any justification for those rankings nor does it explain the methodology, so not sure how much they're actually worth.
Agreed on C&D. Surprisingly to me, CR ranks it #12
Old 01-23-17, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That standard in-line turbo four, despite decent power for its size (as with most 2.0T fours), probably doesn't help it any in the ratings.

Quick Reply: MM Condensed Static-Review: 2017 Volvo S90