Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed Static-Review: 2017 Volvo S90

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 09:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Got my car back today from all the software upgrades, and with the Polestar performance upgrade. It's jekyll and hyde now. I'd say it's as good as or better than my GS350 was when it comes to acceleration in city traffic and may even beat it on the highway for short stretches due to having more hp and torque available at lower revs. It is impressive now and all I asked for. We have a winner.
Even if it has power, though, does the turbo four run and rev as smoothly as your GS's V6? Based on reviews I've read, and the (usual) laws of physics between a four and a six, I'd think not. But you, having owned and driven both of them, are certainly in a position to have a credible opinion.

I did not actually do a test-drive of the new S90.....just a static review. Perhaps I should have actually sampled it on the road. Maybe I will.
Old 01-18-17, 06:57 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
That's great to hear. I remember when you first got your GS350. (Nebula Gray, right?)

Congrats! The S90 is a beautiful car!
Obsidian, but thanks.
Old 01-18-17, 07:01 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even if it has power, though, does the turbo four run and rev as smoothly as your GS's V6? Based on reviews I've read, and the (usual) laws of physics between a four and a six, I'd think not. But you, having owned and driven both of them, are certainly in a position to have a credible opinion.

I did not actually do a test-drive of the new S90.....just a static review. Perhaps I should have actually sampled it on the road. Maybe I will.
If you do road test one make sure it's got the absolute latest software and its the t6 for apples to apples.

They've got some neat systems in place to make up for two lost cylinders. Compressed air can be shot into the turbo for short amounts of time to spool it on demand and the supercharger is basically always running. This gives you torque all the time essentially.

Only drawback is that beautiful song the Lexus v6 used to sing. You almost don't want to hear the Volvo doing its work.
Old 01-18-17, 09:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Very true. We had an '03 FX35, '06 M45, '08 G37 and '13 GS350 that were flawless. The FX35 and GS350 we kept for almost 3 years with no issues. But then, they were Japanese cars.
good first year models are not constrained to Japanese cars. my '04 F-150 and '06 Explorer were both 'flawless' also.
Old 01-18-17, 09:48 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good first year models are not constrained to Japanese cars. my '04 F-150 and '06 Explorer were both 'flawless' also.
That doesn't mean Japanese cars immune to issues either. We all know how the 2006 GS300 turned out.
Old 01-18-17, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So was my first-year 2012 Verano. Of course, much of the Verano is simply a GM powertrain-rebadged Opel Astra, a high-quality car that had already been perfected in Europe.
Old 01-21-17, 01:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I stopped by the Volvo dealer the other day and sat in a couple of S90s. The Inscription trim makes all the difference in this car. I agree the materials in the Momentum trim aren't very good, but conversely the materials in the Inscription trim are best in class.

Its a stunning car IMHO, way better looking and nicer feeling than the new E300 inside and out.
Old 01-21-17, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I stopped by the Volvo dealer the other day and sat in a couple of S90s. The Inscription trim makes all the difference in this car. I agree the materials in the Momentum trim aren't very good, but conversely the materials in the Inscription trim are best in class.
Thanks...I'll have to check out an Inscription (and maybe do a test-drive). Sounds like we agree on the interior of the Momentum.

Unfortunately, Volvo, like Porsche and Mitsubishi, is sitting out the D.C. Auto Show the next couple of weeks (why, I don't know) ....after having displays at Detroit and L.A. Perhaps (?) they just don't have the budget this year to hit all of the major shows, and have to limit their expenses to the very largest ones. The D.C. Show, which, for years, was a Class-B show, has grown significantly in recent years now being a (borderline) Class-A show, but still not the likes of Detroit or L.A.
Old 01-21-17, 09:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Remember that the D.C. show is run by the dealer association, not the manufacturers. So it local Volvo dealers not Volvo.

That is a shame...
Old 01-21-17, 09:45 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like the Dallas show that happens in March. Bunch of dealers put it on, so although we do get some special sneak peeks (new NSX at the 2016 show), for the most part it's a big showroom with everything you can think of, and then some. I liked the Pagani booth a few years ago, which had these lit pedestals with progressively milled parts (pedestal 1, solid block, 2, partially carved, you get the idea).

For once, I'd like to go to a real show where they actually have debuts and show concepts.
Old 01-22-17, 03:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
For once, I'd like to go to a real show where they actually have debuts and show concepts.
In most cases, that would be Detroit, L.A., or sometimes NYC.

I've posted on this in other threads, so I won't go into it in great detail here again but IMO the Detroit Show is outdated. Detroit and Michigan is no longer the center of the American auto industry like it once was.....many plants and even company HQs have moved south or west, if not overseas. Detroit itself is run down, and in many ways, a basket case of a city. Six times as many new vehicles, in an average year, are sold in the Washington D.C. area as Detroit, and ten times as many in the SoCal-L.A. region. Yet the largest auto show still remains in Detroit....IMO it just doesn't make sense.
Old 01-22-17, 03:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Remember that the D.C. show is run by the dealer association, not the manufacturers. So it local Volvo dealers not Volvo.
Yes, I know.....WANADA (that's why they give free tickets LOL). Don't kid yourself, though...there's plenty of industry-money there, as well, from the manufacturers. Local dealerships, even banded together as WANADA, couldn't afford to pay the entire bill for what goes on there.

That is a shame...
Well, Volvo is not alone this year. Porsche and Mitsubishi have sat out the D.C. show for several years. Mitsubishi seems to be going the same route that Isuzu and Suzuki did in the American market.
Old 01-22-17, 05:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It's really surprising that Volvo and Porsche aren't at the D.C show. You'd think both would want to be at all tier 1 and 2 shows at least. It can't cost all that much to rent some space and provide a few vehicles to display. I'm sure they have their reasons though. Mitsubishi, not too much of a surprise I guess. They'll be at the Chicago show.
Old 01-22-17, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Detroit is still the epicenter of the US auto industry. I don't see any issue with the show being there. The circumstances of the city are meaningless.

Here's a question Mike, have you ever been to Detroit?
Old 01-22-17, 07:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Detroit is still the epicenter of the US auto industry. I don't see any issue with the show being there. The circumstances of the city are meaningless.

Here's a question Mike, have you ever been to Detroit?
I agree on both points. The tradition and heritage of the US auto industry is Detroit even though the landscape has changed. There are some beautiful areas in the metro area.

Quick Reply: MM Condensed Static-Review: 2017 Volvo S90