Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AWD necessary in MD/DC/VA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I don't care fwd, rwd, awd, or 4x4. A good set of winter tires makes much more of a difference. Not enough can be said about the effectiveness of winter tires, and your ability to get around easier. Even on my Land Rover I get winter tires. It's silly not to unless there is no way you can afford them.
This is true, but the issue here is the climate. We have a lot of mild days in the winter too...temps in the 50s, damp...winter comes late and its generally pretty short. IMHO you're trading more days where winter tires are actually hurting your traction than you're getting days where you really benefit from it. Even during a winter storm, temps here below say 27, 28 degrees are infrequent. Thats why I think AWD on a car is really a great feature to have in our location specifically. I don't know anybody here who runs winter tires, nor do I ever see winter tires mounted on any cars locally.

If I lived somewhere that we had colder, snowier winters I would definitely get winter tires. For instance when we travel up to Albany, NY for new years every year, its much colder there obviously the difference even in the Jeep on all season tires vs driving in the snow here is considerable.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-27-16 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-27-16, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I don't care fwd, rwd, awd, or 4x4. A good set of winter tires makes much more of a difference. Not enough can be said about the effectiveness of winter tires, and your ability to get around easier. Even on my Land Rover I get winter tires. It's silly not to unless there is no way you can afford them.
Yup +1 totally agree. A good set of snow tires will win against AWD and all-season. We have a 4Runner with all-season Michelins and our Matrix we have snow tires on it, the Matrix handles snowy roads so much better. The grip is far superior. That is not to say that the full time system in the 4Runner is no good, its the tires are not as good.
Old 09-27-16, 01:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitabel
Not going to help.
The event you're trying to avoid by improving your car isn't it - it's all the other drivers who slide straight into you when the 1st snowflake touches down.
It absolutely helps lol. Like I said before, because AWD doesn't solve every challenge and danger associated with snow driving doesn't mean that it doesn't make snow driving easier and safer.

That logic is like saying you shouldn't bother to wear a seatbelt because your car could be struck by a falling tree and you could be killed that way...that logic doesn't compute.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yup +1 totally agree. A good set of snow tires will win against AWD and all-season. We have a 4Runner with all-season Michelins and our Matrix we have snow tires on it, the Matrix handles snowy roads so much better. The grip is far superior. That is not to say that the full time system in the 4Runner is no good, its the tires are not as good.
Here's a question, what if you put winter tires on your 4Runner? Might it be better than your Matrix?
Old 09-27-16, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It absolutely helps lol. Like I said before, because AWD doesn't solve every challenge and danger associated with snow driving doesn't mean that it doesn't make snow driving easier and safer.
Yep....that's where two very important things come into play.....education and common sense. Too many drivers lack both...especially with the laws of physics. Somehow, a lot of people have deceived themselves into thinking that AWD allows them to drive on slick surfaces like they were in a sports car. The numerous overturned SUVs we see after winter storms (with others in ditches or deeply jammed into snowbanks) shows the folly of that thinking. AWD is a system primarily to get you going from a stop (so that you don't get stuck spinning your wheels), and, to some extent, to benefit LOW speed handling or acceleration in slick conditions. But it will NOT allow you to whip around icy corners at higher speeds without paying the consequences. Nor will it necessarily help you to stop any quicker, except for the fact that the added AWD components may (?), in some cases. equalize or balance the vehicle's weight a little more between front and rear, equalizing the brake action among the four wheels. But even that will be only a very small amount. And, of course, ultimately, the tire either has traction or it doesn't. If you exceed the tire's limit for that particular road surface and conditions, you WILL slide, no matter what drive-system you have...or if you have a traction/stability system. Vehicle stability systems can only work up to the limit of the tires themselves. So the obvious advice is.....slow down.

That logic is like saying you shouldn't bother to wear a seatbelt because your car could be struck by a falling tree and you could be killed that way...that logic doesn't compute.
I agree for the purposes of this discussion (whether to have AWD and/or winter tires or not). But, for the issue of people actually getting injured or killed by falling trees in their cars, it seems to happen here, in the D.C. area, almost every time a line of severe thunderstorms or strong winds passes through this area. You read about it or hear it on the evening news. The millions of trees and millions of cars in this area often don't mix.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-27-16 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It was an example for the sake of argument Mike lol
Old 09-27-16, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It was an example for the sake of argument Mike lol
Yes, understood.

On a slightly unrelated note, I don't believe in laughing or glossing over other people's misfortunes or troubles....even if they bring it on themselves (there's an old saying, of course....."There, but for the grace of God, goeth Me"). But, to be honest, it can sometimes be difficult not to chuckle (assuming they didn't hurt themselves or anyone else) when some idiot winds up in a ditch or snowbank because he or she over-bragged about their vehicle's (or driving) capability, or thought the laws of physics don't apply to them.
Old 09-27-16, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah nothing compensates for stupid.
Old 09-28-16, 09:45 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Specifically in the DC metro area? Your profile says you're in MA. Snow removal is significantly better in MA than it is here. Even main roads here can stay snow covered for sizable periods after the end of a snow.
Yes, I am from MA. About 20 min north to be exact. Snow removal in the city of Boston may be better than DC (have you lived in the Boston area?), but I do not have first hand experience living in DC. I live in a Suburban town and we do not get good snow removal like Boston.. I did plenty fine with just some blizzaks. As ive said earlier, experience and good snow tires is a must for driving RWD in snow.
Old 09-28-16, 09:52 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitabel
Not going to help.
The event you're trying to avoid by improving your car isn't it - it's all the other drivers who slide straight into you when the 1st snowflake touches down.

The key is not RWD vs. FWD.
If you don't have enough ground clearance you're stuck no matter what - the car just planes up onto the snow in the center of the lane until the wheels don't do anything. Yes, that includes trucks, been there done that in upstate New York. I went through some of the worst NYC winters in a 1963 Dodge Dart with a single snow chain on the (non-posi) right rear tire.
I agree with this post.

I learned this the hard way with a 2002 WRX i had bought brand new when it first came to the states. Those commercials make you feel invincible sometimes... Good ol' marketing..
Old 09-28-16, 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Yes, I am from MA. About 20 min north to be exact. Snow removal in the city of Boston may be better than DC (have you lived in the Boston area?), but I do not have first hand experience living in DC. I live in a Suburban town and we do not get good snow removal like Boston.. I did plenty fine with just some blizzaks. As ive said earlier, experience and good snow tires is a must for driving RWD in snow.
I have not lived in Boston but we have family in Boston, Your temps are lower and you get more snow there, making winter tires more worthwhile. I'd venture to say you get better snow removal than we do here seeing that you get more snow, have better snow removal budgets, etc.
Old 10-02-16, 09:47 AM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

AWD always helps a bit, but either way, the traction control works very well. Good tires and astute driving habits help, as well.