Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Porsche Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-16, 11:42 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
To be fair on a shorter track the difference here between these vehicles would not be 30 seconds. It's 30 seconds on a track as long and technical as the Nurburgring, on a shorter track, straighter track, the gap would be way less.
Correct. It is a very high speed track that is very technical. For example, LFA reached 285 km/h on the Dottinger Hohe uphill climb straight and 298 km/h going downhill before a hard right hander. No other track has this type of high speed stretches. Fuji comes close in terms of top speed, but not as technical.

On a shorter track (1.6 miles) owned by motorsports magazine France, it was 4.2 seconds gap with the current '16 Turbo S.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/circui...gny-cours-club

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-02-16 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 01:51 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Does a Nurburgring time even come into the picture for potential Panamera buyers? They just want a fast, showy sedan that's... Showy This thing is a symbol of conspicuous consumption and not much else. Looks mighty good though.
Old 07-03-16, 06:07 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chromedome
Does a Nurburgring time even come into the picture for potential Panamera buyers? They just want a fast, showy sedan that's... Showy This thing is a symbol of conspicuous consumption and not much else. Looks mighty good though.
Good point. I think it is good that Porsche is sticking to its racing heritage and not getting watered down in a car segment generally full of "showy" cars. Granted, most buyers will not be doing Nurburg' laps in their Pan', but still something to consider for a car enthusiast, or Porsche enthusiast.. More 911 and GT owners will be purchasing the Panamera, which i assume is what Porsche intended
Old 07-03-16, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
It doesn't no.
Old 07-03-16, 07:10 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

????
Why compare the panamera with the LFA, and not the 911?
Old 07-03-16, 08:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

ok folks i think we can let go of the LFA comparison now.

the CL page referenced a comparison done by another site, that's all. it's not the end of the world either way.

Take, for example, CarScoops‘ recent article titled, “New Porsche Panamera Turbo Is As Fast As Lexus’ LF-A Around The Nurburgring”. As with the Porsche video below, the article details the next-generation 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo’s very impressive 7:38 Nürburgring lap time.

According to Porsche, that makes the Panamera the “fastest luxury sedan on earth.” And, furthermore, the redesign means it won’t be the worst-looking Porsche around anymore.

For comparison, CarScoops then looked at this list of the Top 100 lap times around the Green Hell, and highlighted other cars that have scored the exact same time, including our favorite supercar, the Lexus LFA, at #44.

Of course, the article failed to mention that while the Panamera’s time is certainly impressive, it’s not quite as impressive as the 8th place time of 7:14.64 still held by the Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package.
Old 07-03-16, 08:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Though it is not totally unique, few other sedans (except maybe for the Aston Martin Rapide) can equal the overall driving experience of a Panamera, if it is a fast, sport/touring sedan you're looking for. I did a street-review of a Panamera several years ago (some of you might remember it), and it was a hoot...though it ended up as one of the riskiest reviews I ever did. Not carelessness on my part (I'm always careful behind the wheel, review or not), but a Honda Civic decided at the last second that it was going to swerve and exit left from the right lane, right in front of me......and I found out, in a split-second, just how good the Panamera's brakes and suspension/handling were.
Old 07-03-16, 03:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though it is not totally unique, few other sedans (except maybe for the Aston Martin Rapide) can equal the overall driving experience of a Panamera
Rapide S is a personal favorite of mine with the styling and V12 being the main reasons.

But this second generation Panamera is so technical, gorgeous, and I'm sure it drives fantastic. I like the option of the low displacement V6 high horsepower (and Ford's recent use of 2.7 and 3.0 again), and of course the V8 option.
Old 07-03-16, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Rapide S is a personal favorite of mine with the styling and V12 being the main reasons.

But this second generation Panamera is so technical, gorgeous, and I'm sure it drives fantastic. I like the option of the low displacement V6 high horsepower (and Ford's recent use of 2.7 and 3.0 again), and of course the V8 option.
The Panamera, being a Porsche, is also likely to be more reliable than the Rapide, which is a beautiful car, but which probably has at least some of the typical British quality problems. Consumer Reports, of course, has little information on either Panamera or Rapide reliability due to their small sales numbers.
Old 07-03-16, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not a lot of people considering an Aston Martin Rapide concerned about reliability
Old 07-03-16, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Not a lot of people considering an Aston Martin Rapide concerned about reliability
or read CR
Old 07-03-16, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
or read CR
Thats why I haven't pulled the trigger on my new Ferrari yet, waiting to see how it does in the next JD Power dependability survey
Old 07-04-16, 05:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
or read CR
Perhaps not, but, on the other hand, I can't think of very many people who actually want an unreliable car, unless you run an unscrupulous repair shop, and the car belongs to someone else.
Old 07-04-16, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps not, but, on the other hand, I can't think of very many people who actually want an unreliable car, unless you run an unscrupulous repair shop, and the car belongs to someone else.
Reliability just doesn't enter into the decision process for people buying these sorts of cars. For one they typically don't have just one car, and these sorts of cars don't typically get "daily driven" and don't get 15-20k miles a year put on them, so reliability is less of a concern.

People buy these cars based on emotion and prestige.

I mean, look at how many people drive more ordinary luxury vehicles they DO daily drive, such as Range Rovers and BMWs, etc where they know the reliability issues, but they want the car and they buy them anyways.

Emotion beats practicality when it comes to a purely luxury purchase every time.
Old 07-04-16, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

plus a lot of the issues on supposedly less reliable brands like range rover are annoying things rather than break downs, and people live with them until they can get to the dealer, loving the vehicle despite the 'quirks'.

even though a camry or corolla might be PERFECTLY reliable i could never drive one because i'd go insane from boredom. having said that, my 'unreliable' 2006 ford explorer (first year of that gen) was perfectly reliable except a cd changer failure which was replaced under warranty. my jgc is all good so far. my lexus gs400 had a few issues but great vehicle. my acuras and honda before were flawless (and fun).

Quick Reply: 2017 Porsche Panamera