Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you even bother to lock your car . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 09:51 AM
Tires23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving your car unlock is just asking for trouble. People can always take other things and can leave you on bricks if they find your wheel lock
Old 06-15-16, 02:20 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

don't want hobos sleeping and *****ting in my car
Old 06-16-16, 02:10 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes all of 2 seconds to lock your car....why take the risk?

Crime can happen anywhere.
Old 06-16-16, 02:42 PM
user420
Driver

Originally Posted by ABC
Always locked. Even in the garage. lol

Yep me too.
Old 06-16-16, 02:57 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in a townhome community. When my car is in the garage, it's unlocked, anywhere else locked. I don't feel the need to lock it in the garage because my garage door is always closed, and many neighbors leave theirs open. Criminals if they choose to scope out this neighborhood will go for the easier targets.
Old 06-16-16, 03:31 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

I grew up in a small town(<4,000 people).

I always kept my car locked then and I certainly keep it locked here in Vegas.

On the other hand, my dad never locks his cars(my folks still live in the same small town) and will sometimes forget to take his keys out of the ignition.
Old 06-16-16, 05:13 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

lock your car!LOL
Old 06-16-16, 05:25 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Now I remember why there is nothing of value in my car. I forgot to lock that sucker up.
Old 06-17-16, 06:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have to say, leaving your car unlocked has to be one of the dumbest things a person could do.

Crime is about opportunity sure you might not have anything to hide, but mischief and cutting up the leather seats is easier done when one finds an unlocked car vs a locked car.
It's really hard to disagree with this. I think it's more likely to have someone try your door handle and find a bonus with your car being unlocked, than someone with the intent, no matter what, to smash your window just to see what you have in the car. People who get their windows smashed have items of value in plain sight. I rarely read in the police blotter that someone's window was smashed but nothing of value was taken. It's always a purse, wallet, laptop, iPad, etc.
Old 06-19-16, 09:57 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I always lock my car, it's like second nature. I never walk away unless I know it's locked. You may think you don't have anything in it until it's stolen.

The best advice is not to leave anything in plain sight. I had my car broken in to once and come to find the only thing I could find missing was some change I used to leave in the open, in a center console tray.
Old 06-20-16, 09:09 AM
Talinder
Driver School Candidate

Unfortuantely, lately, I've been forgetting. I was driving a 2002 vehicle that had keys/fob I would have in my hand when I got out of the car. I was doing great with that level of technology. A few weeks ago I picked up a 2016 ES which has no key. I keep the fob in my purse never removing it. Since it's not in my hand I'm not using it to lock the door. I've gotten several alerts from Enform telling me I've forgotten to lock the door. Last night I was at the grocery store and I got the alert while shopping. I tried to lock the door, but was then informed that my key fob was in the car so it couldn't be locked. Turns out I had used the spare earlier in the day when I went to work and didn't carry a purse. When I arrived home in my dimly lit garage I didn't see the fob in the black cup holder.
I don't live in the smallest of towns, but I'm just grateful to live where I do where things are relatively safe and low crime. I made the decision to go grab my yogurt to finish up and then checkout rather than immediately running outside to secure my vehicle. I was anxious, but somewhere in my head I was also thinking I have insurance. I've got a lot of new habits to learn coming from a jalopy. Funny thing is last week when my husband drove to the grocery store I also got an alert that he hadn't locked the car. I was able to lock it from my house, but really wasn't stressed about it. Hopefully we'll get better soon.
Old 06-20-16, 10:11 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Talinder
Unfortuantely, lately, I've been forgetting. I was driving a 2002 vehicle that had keys/fob I would have in my hand when I got out of the car. I was doing great with that level of technology. A few weeks ago I picked up a 2016 ES which has no key. I keep the fob in my purse never removing it. Since it's not in my hand I'm not using it to lock the door. I've gotten several alerts from Enform telling me I've forgotten to lock the door. Last night I was at the grocery store and I got the alert while shopping. I tried to lock the door, but was then informed that my key fob was in the car so it couldn't be locked. Turns out I had used the spare earlier in the day when I went to work and didn't carry a purse. When I arrived home in my dimly lit garage I didn't see the fob in the black cup holder.
I don't live in the smallest of towns, but I'm just grateful to live where I do where things are relatively safe and low crime. I made the decision to go grab my yogurt to finish up and then checkout rather than immediately running outside to secure my vehicle. I was anxious, but somewhere in my head I was also thinking I have insurance. I've got a lot of new habits to learn coming from a jalopy. Funny thing is last week when my husband drove to the grocery store I also got an alert that he hadn't locked the car. I was able to lock it from my house, but really wasn't stressed about it. Hopefully we'll get better soon.
I have found that a bit of a problem also with my 2015 ESh. I come out of the house in the morning and have to put my keys away since I do not need the fob to unlock the car nor to start the car. Then, coming home in the evening, I have to take my keys out of my pocket to get in the house.

I have, however, gotten into the habit of locking the car with the keyfob. I discovered that if I hit the lock button on the keyfob twice, it will turn off the headlights immediately. If the ambient lighting conditions are dark enough, like in the garage, the lights turn on automatically and won't turn off automatically for a minute or so after switching off the engine, but locking the car twice turns off the lights. So I try to always lock the car -- twice -- even if it is in the garage.