Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Refreshed 2017 Genesis G80 & Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 07:20 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Hyundai luxury has arrived

Driving home yesterday on Highway 401, the busiest parking lot in Canada, I saw a new (as in never seen before) black car / town car / airport limo. It was black (of course, as are all airport limos here), had the B-pillar mirrors (that allow rear seat occupants to check approaching traffic before opening the door into traffic or bicyclists), and may have had the company name in the back window.

What was different about it was its large size, and quite square and upright shape, with quite a presence; it was larger than the ES Hybrids now being used as black cars here and also had a greater presence than the old Lincoln Town Cars (that are now being retired, I assume). Only when I saw the "Equus" badge on the trunk lid did I realize what it was.

I guess it must mean something to be compared with -- and replace -- old Town Cars. The Equus is obviously large, with a nice, comfortable, large back seat and a large trunk (I assume, since I have never been in one), and (presumably) relatively economical and reliable to operate. With any luck, I may get the opportunity to ride in one to or from the airport this summer.
Old 06-08-16, 07:24 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sport looks great and I would not be ashamed to park it in my garage. It would be even better if they came out with a Sport R that ups the V6 performance to the 450hp mark, or a revised V8 with a HP bump. I like the interior, as I get older I care less for the origami, flashy interiors and prefer the understated, simple designs that put things where they "should" be and are well assembled/detailed.
Old 06-08-16, 07:29 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nicely done, they look great.
Old 06-08-16, 01:06 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Driving home yesterday on Highway 401, the busiest parking lot in Canada, I saw a new (as in never seen before) black car / town car / airport limo. It was black (of course, as are all airport limos here), had the B-pillar mirrors (that allow rear seat occupants to check approaching traffic before opening the door into traffic or bicyclists), and may have had the company name in the back window.

What was different about it was its large size, and quite square and upright shape, with quite a presence; it was larger than the ES Hybrids now being used as black cars here and also had a greater presence than the old Lincoln Town Cars (that are now being retired, I assume). Only when I saw the "Equus" badge on the trunk lid did I realize what it was.

I guess it must mean something to be compared with -- and replace -- old Town Cars. The Equus is obviously large, with a nice, comfortable, large back seat and a large trunk (I assume, since I have never been in one), and (presumably) relatively economical and reliable to operate. With any luck, I may get the opportunity to ride in one to or from the airport this summer.
The Equus is actually quite old now, and will be replaced with the G90 this Fall. A much better car than the Equus.
Old 06-08-16, 04:50 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah I'm a big fan of the Genesis. Brand snobbery is the only reason I don't have one.
I think most of us feel the same way. The veloster, genesis coupe and equus are all fantastic cars for the money but I just can't see myself buying a Hyundai or Genesis.
Old 06-08-16, 05:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Coconut
I think most of us feel the same way. The veloster, genesis coupe and equus are all fantastic cars for the money but I just can't see myself buying a Hyundai or Genesis.
I visited my parents this past weekend, and during the 2 hour drive I saw 4 of these!! Couldn't believe it. All but one was Turbo, and two were modded.
Old 06-08-16, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily have an issue buying a "Genesis" if the ownership/brand experience was premium grade.

I don't want to buy a Hyundai alongside an Accent.
Old 06-08-16, 06:43 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I visited my parents this past weekend, and during the 2 hour drive I saw 4 of these!! Couldn't believe it. All but one was Turbo, and two were modded.
There is a large gathering of them in Austin Tx. While visiting there there had to be 20-30 of them meeting up.
Old 06-08-16, 10:31 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I love the Veloster, such a quirky and unique looking car in a sea of sameness now days. I respect the Genesis coupe(not my favorite style wise) as well, mainly because its a sporty RWD reasonably priced car. But the main thing is IMO Hyundia and Kia are giving us exciting cars with unique styling that actually have a soul. Love it or hate it, the Soul has character. The big Genesis sedan now looks pretty sexy, the Optima still 4-5 years later is a fresh design IMO.

Last edited by Aron9000; 06-08-16 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-09-16, 06:01 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not worried about the brand on the hood. My concern in picking up a Genesis is that while it may be a good buy for the money new depreciation seems to hit them much harder than a Lexus. So in the end it is actually cheaper to drive the Lexus over 5-8 years due to the retained value. Hopefully with the great design and a separate dealer network the Genesis brand will start to retain its value over time.
Old 06-09-16, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
I am not worried about the brand on the hood. My concern in picking up a Genesis is that while it may be a good buy for the money new depreciation seems to hit them much harder than a Lexus. So in the end it is actually cheaper to drive the Lexus over 5-8 years due to the retained value. Hopefully with the great design and a separate dealer network the Genesis brand will start to retain its value over time.
This depends on what you're comparing the Genesis to in the Lexus lineup. Price wise it competes with the ES and the GS, really it deserves to be compared to the GS, and is a much more substantial car than the ES. If you're comparing it to the ES I would agree, the ES is cheaper to own. Not so sure about the GS since GS resale has been pretty poor...
Old 06-09-16, 06:51 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I love the Veloster, such a quirky and unique looking car in a sea of sameness now days. I respect the Genesis coupe(not my favorite style wise) as well, mainly because its a sporty RWD reasonably priced car. But the main thing is IMO Hyundia and Kia are giving us exciting cars with unique styling that actually have a soul. Love it or hate it, the Soul has character. The big Genesis sedan now looks pretty sexy, the Optima still 4-5 years later is a fresh design IMO.
Agree on all counts.