Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AMG Sport Is Dead, Models to Become Mercedes-AMGs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 02:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default AMG Sport Is Dead, Models to Become Mercedes-AMGs

A few weeks ago, we were a bit surprised to learn that the AMG version of Mercedes’ new SLC-class roadster—it replaces the SLK-class—would be powered by the engine found in the AMG Sport models of the C- and GLE-classes, the C450 AMG and GLE450 AMG. (AMG Sport was launched to neatly split the difference between regular Mercedes vehicles and full-bore AMGs.) AMG hadn’t offered a six-banger in many years, and the twin-turbocharged V-6, while an impressive powerplant, doesn’t adhere to Affalterbach’s “One Man, One Engine” gospel, whereby one technician assembles a complete engine from start to finish.

But the Mercedes-AMG SLC43 won’t be an exception—it actually sets a precedent, as the AMG Sport models will be rechristened and moved into the AMG lineup proper. The Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG will become the Mercedes-AMG C43, and a Mercedes-AMG E43 will launch later this year. Further models will follow.

We think the move is legit. The current AMG Sports already feature a lot of AMG-developed technology, and we’re not just talking about badges, red stitching, and carbon-fiber décor; they also get actual chassis upgrades. And if you’ve ever heard an AMG Sport model performing a full-throttle redline shift and the accompanying exhaust crackle, it’s clear that these machines mean serious business.

About the “43” moniker for the 3.0-liter V-6: While it would be nice if it had any relationship whatsoever to engine displacement, Benz believes it aligns nicely with the 63 badging used for the twin-turbo 4.0-liter V-8 models. Plus, there was a C43 in AMG’s history. So if you aspire to own an AMG, you will have a lot more choices soon.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/amg-spo...mercedes-amgs/
Old 01-13-16, 03:55 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow so we can call all F sport as Lexus F then
Old 01-13-16, 04:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
lol exactly what i thought, let's have 2 different f models.

quite sad if you ask me... what a way to dilute a great badge that they have built
Old 01-13-16, 04:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

you could if you want. that CTh F-sport is a real rocket.
Old 01-13-16, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

History, to some extent, repeats itself. In the early-mid 1970s, we saw a number of formerly high-performance muscle-cars (Road Runner, GTO, Chevelle SS, Trans-Am, Mach 1, etc....) retain their muscle-car nameplates, but re-engined with smaller, de-tuned, less powerful engines. In some cases, the cars themselves were also downsized. Of that group, only the Trans-Am ended up soldiering on with a drivetrain with engine-sized that even approached that of a true muscle-car...and even then, with about 200 less HP than it had in the late 1960s.

That doesn't seem to be exactly what Mercedes is doing with the AMGs, but close. It follows the same general trend.....keeping the tires/suspsnsion/chassis of the traditional AMGs, but re-outfitting some of them with smaller power plant. Only in this case, though, benefitting from the fact that, unlike the 1970s, today's technology allows relatively good performance from smaller engines.
Old 01-13-16, 05:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

this is a mistake. amg sport made perfect sense to me.
Old 01-13-16, 09:01 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
quite sad if you ask me... what a way to dilute a great badge that they have built
Ya, it's totally obscene... don't get this at all.
Old 01-13-16, 09:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well let's hope BMW doesn't follow >_>
M Sport is M sport package, not a true M. If they do it I will trade my M in.
Old 01-14-16, 04:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol exactly what i thought, let's have 2 different f models.

Agreed. When I heard about this earlier I figured the "AMG-sport" branding must've bombed with consumers.

Wow that's pretty dramatic. This change still doesn't set well with me but I wouldn't think of trading in my car because of it.
Old 01-14-16, 06:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

names shmames.
Old 01-14-16, 09:38 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

BMW hasn't touched the M-Sport packages, but they're offering cars like the M235i and now the X4 M40i, those would be the equivalent of what Mercedes was trying to achieve with the AMG Sport vehicles.
Old 01-14-16, 09:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
History, to some extent, repeats itself. In the early-mid 1970s, we saw a number of formerly high-performance muscle-cars (Road Runner, GTO, Chevelle SS, Trans-Am, Mach 1, etc....) retain their muscle-car nameplates, but re-engined with smaller, de-tuned, less powerful engines. In some cases, the cars themselves were also downsized. Of that group, only the Trans-Am ended up soldiering on with a drivetrain with engine-sized that even approached that of a true muscle-car...and even then, with about 200 less HP than it had in the late 1960s.

That doesn't seem to be exactly what Mercedes is doing with the AMGs, but close. It follows the same general trend.....keeping the tires/suspsnsion/chassis of the traditional AMGs, but re-outfitting some of them with smaller power plant. Only in this case, though, benefitting from the fact that, unlike the 1970s, today's technology allows relatively good performance from smaller engines.
This isn't it at all. you're missing the point. The full bore AMG will continue to exist. They're not replacing those. They're adding in trims between the mainstream models and the full AMGs which have gone astronomical in power and price.
Old 01-14-16, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG Sport
Mercedes-AMG C43

I think the annoying part to me is the 'Mercedes-AMG' portion. I like the '43' since it has history, and the letter that prefixes denotes which class.
Old 01-14-16, 11:37 AM
EyeSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMGs are nice but I don't get why Benz cars are so unreliable. I would be all over one so fast if they don't break down so often. My associate has one and it's in the shop every other month. It's not like he drives it that much either. He also has a Tesla and a 5-series.
Old 01-14-16, 01:00 PM
autopal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeSF
AMGs are nice but I don't get why Benz cars are so unreliable. I would be all over one so fast if they don't break down so often. My associate has one and it's in the shop every other month. It's not like he drives it that much either. He also has a Tesla and a 5-series.
This unreliability claim is so overblown. I have switched between BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class now for over 15 years, (currently driving a C450 AMG) and I have never had an issue outside of normal maintenance, and one BMW recall (car was at the dealership for only 3 hours) My neighbour's 2 year old Honda Accord have been in the shop several times for issues, does that mean that Hondas are unreliable? Certainly not, far from that, actually. My advice is to buy the car that you like, whether your preference is for extreme performance, quiet luxury, or anything in between, whether it's Japanese, German, Korean or American, and enjoy your purchase, this is 2016, not 1980

Quick Reply: AMG Sport Is Dead, Models to Become Mercedes-AMGs