Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota reveals 2017 Prius Prime

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 06:06 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

210k Toyota hybrids, including Lexus models? That's a lot but still a drop in the bucket compared to diesels.

According to http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-da.../toyota-prius/ and http://left-lane.com/european-car-sa.../Toyota-Prius/ :
In 2015, Toyota sold 184k Prius variants in the US but sold only *8k* Priuses throughout Europe. Toyota have a long, long way to go to make hybrids more attractive in Europe.

I thought diesel was taxed less in most EU countries, so the lower cost and greater tank range makes it the preferred fuel even for sport sedans. Some countries also have high import duties on fully imported vehicles like Toyota/Lexus hybrids.

Last edited by chromedome; 04-15-16 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

shouldn't that comparo go in the prius thread or is it that a prime?
Old 04-19-16, 10:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
A stereotype maybe? I see a lot of cheapo 520d and E200d models in Europe as company cars and repmobiles, not much driving dynamics in those models. The Passat definitely isn't a driver's car either. I can't fathom why someone would buy a low-spec BMW for badge snobbery reasons when the same amount of money could get a very nice Mondeo or other FWD sedans.
I'll acknowledge that it's a stereotype. They also tend to be the loudest group (like Jeremy Clarkson lol).

Don't underestimate that snob factor. I don't buy that either since I drive a Prius rather than a used luxury car (or even a brand new one as they now overlap with a loaded Prius).
Old 04-20-16, 10:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
210k Toyota hybrids, including Lexus models? That's a lot but still a drop in the bucket compared to diesels.

According to http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-da.../toyota-prius/ and http://left-lane.com/european-car-sa.../Toyota-Prius/ :
In 2015, Toyota sold 184k Prius variants in the US but sold only *8k* Priuses throughout Europe. Toyota have a long, long way to go to make hybrids more attractive in Europe.

I thought diesel was taxed less in most EU countries, so the lower cost and greater tank range makes it the preferred fuel even for sport sedans. Some countries also have high import duties on fully imported vehicles like Toyota/Lexus hybrids.
Well thats 35% of total Toyota sales across complete Europe... Toyota can sell only Toyota's, they can not sell VW vehicles so it cant influence how many diesels other manufacturers sell.

As to Prius, it is not a core model in Europe... we have Auris Hybrid including wagon version that sell a lot and is produced locally so it gets no customs fees unlike Prius.

So Toyota has made hybrids as attractive as possible, not much more can be done from Toyota side. They sell great in western europe and contribute more than anything else to Toyota's bottom line.

So bottom line is that Toyota's hybrids in Europe outsell Toyota hybrids in USA despite 4.2% market share for Toyota in Europe vs 14% in the USA.
Old 10-12-16, 10:25 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Prius Prime Sets Electrified Benchmark For Efficiency Returning 133 MPGe

The 2017 Toyota Prius Prime has set a new benchmark for its efficiency, beating out numerous hybrid and all-electric rivals.

According to the EPA, the plug-in Prius Prime returns 133 MPGe over the combined cycle when running in electric mode. By comparison, the next most efficient model on sale in the United States is the BMW i3, returning 124 MPGe. The Volkswagen e-Golf meanwhile sits at 116 MPGe, Nissan Leaf at 114 MPGe and Tesla Model S 60D at 104 MPGe.

When the Prius Prime was initially unveiled earlier in the year, Toyota said its MPGe range would sit at around 120 miles. Clearly, it was being rather conservative as the car can travel up to 640 miles 1,029 km) on a single tank and 25 miles (40 km) on just electric power.

For those wondering, MPGe is calculated in a very different way to MPG. Whereas MPG looks at the energy source being petrol or diesel, MPGe is calculated around a vehicle that uses electricity as a source of energy. Put simply, it determines how far an electric vehicle could theoretically travel on a single charge if household electricity were priced the same as a single gallon of petrol or diesel.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/toy...ectrified.html